WAMC help, please/current app cycle advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Worried I applied this cycle without fixing my CARS score, and its keeping me from getting IIs. Applying MD and DO but more interested in MD for specialty sake, so focusing on that for now. So far I have a: R at CCOM, II at another DO school, and R from Georgetown (where I did my SMP)
  1. AMCAS GPA: post bacc 3.75, SMP 3.53, sGPA 3.3 (including high level math I did poorly on in undergrad), cGPA 3.19
  2. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  3. 508 - 122 cars, 127 c/p, 130 psych/soc, 129 bio/bcm
  4. IL
  5. South Asian
  6. State school - studied econ + stats in undergrad
  7. Clinical work: 3000+ hrs as a ED scribe and care coordinator, 250+ as a volunteer at a stroke center
  8. 1 yr research - it took almost a yr to get acclimated to the lab and by the time I could perform independently, COVID hit so no pubs or poster
  9. 80 hrs shadowing PCP
  10. 400+ hrs volunteer tutor, 50 + hrs food pantry
  11. Part time tutor at a platform that works with school districts in underserved areas - this position is paid
  12. 1 case report published in a local community journal
I have been working for this since I graduated in 2018. I don't want to undermine my efforts by underperforming on the MCAT...advice for next steps? Schools I am especially interested in this cycle which I have applied to (not a complete list) but let me know if any key schools favorable toward non trads are missing

UIC
Drexel
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
GWU
Creighton
Loyola
Homer Stryker
Quinnipac
Hofstra
OUWB

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the MCAT before or after the SMP? What about your SMP GPA? I would put my chips on the interview you have coming up. You are no longer in a position of leverage.

Too much tutoring and not enough service (pantry) is what I see. I can be mistaken but not making that SMP is working against you IMO.

Did you take the MCAT before or after the SMP? What about your SMP GPA? I would put my chips on the interview you have coming up. You are no longer in a position of leverage.

Too much tutoring and not enough service (pantry) is what I see. I can be mistaken but not making that SMP is working against you IMO.
MCAT after. 3.53 in SMP GPA. Sorry the 400 hours is all non clinical tutoring for a non profit and all service. I also do paid on the side very minimally which is the next point. Could you clarify what not making that SMP means?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT after. 3.53 in SMP GPA. Sorry the 400 hours is all non clinical tutoring for a non profit and all service. I also do paid on the side very minimally which is the next point. Could you clarify what not making that SMP means?

Thanks!
*non paid tutoring

Thanks!
SMP GPA ideally should at least match your postbac GPA. 3.7+

Reactions: 1 user
Western, KCU, DMU, Pikeville, PCOM off the top of my head. Rejected from MW CCOM which I was a little surprised by
Add a few more schools to your application this week to increase your chances for interviews. I suggest these:
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU-KCOM
ACOM
WVSOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM

• Care
Reactions: 1 user