WAMC for DO medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Please no trolling/negative comments/berating/suggesting to give up.

I was wondering if anyone knows of ANY DO programs that I would suggest/advise to apply to with a 492 MCAT (I've taken the MCAT 3 times already and this is the last one-I know it's horrible but I'm still going to apply to ANY place where I may have even a very small chance at) that would maybe maybe land me an interview with and potentially a possible acceptance. I'm willing to to go ANY DO program even if it's halfway across the world, my overall goal is to become a physician regardless of the initials after my name (I'm a CA applicant). My breakdown was 123/121/124/124.

My overall GPA is 3.81 and overall science is 3.79. I have 5 solid letters of recommendation (1 from an organic chemistry professor, 1 from physics professor, 1 from a psychology professor who I have a longstanding relationship with, 1 from a supervisor for where I used to do volunteer work at a hospice for 3.5 years, and 1 from a professor with whom I did undergraduate research for/with). I'm a non-traditional student as well, currently 32 years old.

Based off of this information/stats does anybody have any actual recommendations without resorting to name calling, negativity, slanderous nonsense, or trolling?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the newer ones like ARCOM, LECOM Elmira, and VCOM LA

Hey, I noticed that you do not have a letter from a physician which is a necessity for a majority of the DO schools i know and they are usually very strict on it. I think your best chance would honestly be Caribbean but i could be wrong to be honest. your gpa shows you can handle coursework in a academic environment but i getting into medical school might be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I noticed that you do not have a letter from a physician which is a necessity for a majority of the DO schools i know and they are usually very strict on it. I think your best chance would honestly be Caribbean but i could be wrong to be honest. your gpa shows you can handle coursework in a academic environment but i getting into medical school might be tough.

I have a letter of recommendation from an MD physician, but not from a DO one.

Apply broadly to a lot of schools, especially newer ones! Life is too short, you don't want to wonder what could have been the rest of your life. I really respect your willingness to go for it and wish you many blessings!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I would try to get a DO letter so you can add West Virginia to your list. I know they realistically take sub-500 MCAT students if you show devotion to DO. Other than this, good luck and apply broadly, you should get a bite somewhere if you really send a strong primary and secondary application. I can see you are not letting this get the best of you, good, pick it up and keep going.

I'd say DO, such as WVSOM and the new ARCOM and Edward-Via campuses are your best shot. Also possibly apply to LECOM without the MCAT with their AIS! Otherwise, the Caribbean is also an option. I don't necessarily recommend it but if you want to be a doctor, that will get it done!

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows of ANY DO programs that I would suggest/advise to apply to with a 492 MCAT (I've taken the MCAT 3 times already and this is the last one-I know it's horrible but I'm still going to apply to ANY place where I may have even a very small chance at) that would maybe maybe land me an interview with and potentially a possible acceptance. I'm willing to to go ANY DO program even if it's halfway across the world, my overall goal is to become a physician regardless of the initials after my name (I'm a CA applicant). My breakdown was 123/121/124/124.

My overall GPA is 3.81 and overall science is 3.79. I have 5 solid letters of recommendation (1 from an organic chemistry professor, 1 from physics professor, 1 from a psychology professor who I have a longstanding relationship with, 1 from a supervisor for where I used to do volunteer work at a hospice for 3.5 years, and 1 from a professor with whom I did undergraduate research for/with). I'm a non-traditional student as well, currently 32 years old.

Based off of this information/stats does anybody have any actual recommendations without resorting to name calling, negativity, slanderous nonsense, or trolling?

Thank you.
Keep your head up. A test doesn’t define you. You have an awesome gpa. If I was you I would apply to an SMP with linkage and rock it. VCOM and RVU are both good options.

@Goro

LECOM might work if your SAT/ACT scores were high enough, but LECOMs average MCAT is a 502/503, and you don’t specifically apply to Elmira, you apply to Erie or bradenton.
VCOM tends to have a lower MCAT average, and might be worth a shot.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and kind words! I know it's a long shot and I'm being realistic considering my MCAT score. My heart has been pursuing this for years despite my best efforts and I'm not done on trying to become a physician yet. What are your thoughts on applying to the University of New England COM (AKA UNECOM)?

Will schools send you supplementary applications if you haven't taken the CASPER yet?

Also, which of these schools that you guys recommended screen for primary applications first BEFORE sending you a secondary application (AKA supplemental application)? Thanks.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and kind words! I know it's a long shot and I'm being realistic considering my MCAT score. My heart has been pursuing this for years despite my best efforts and I'm not done on trying to become a physician yet. What are your thoughts on applying to the University of New England COM (AKA UNECOM)?
UNECOM has been super harsh on prerequisites. So make sure you have all them like 110% before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Thank you.
I can't sugar coat this, with those MCAT scores, I can't recommend applying anywhere.

You're in a risk zone for failing out of med school and or failing Boards.

Is test taking anxiety issue a problem? If do, that's fixable.

Failing that, go for an SMP with strong linkage, like at LECOM or EVMS

Question, do any of you guys recommend applying to PCOM at all at either campus or no based on MCAT? If yes, a question they have in their supplemental application states " Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application". Does anybody advise to mention the 3 low MCAT attempts, or is that just drawing even more attention towards something that should not be talked about? Thanks.

I have just learned that the VCOM at Virginia requires mandatory attendance for 80% of the lectures is this true for all of the VCOM programs???

EDIT: Are there any campuses you would advise in the realm of reality to apply to that have NON-MANDATORY LECTURES? This is a deal breaker for me. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have just learned that the VCOM at Virginia requires mandatory attendance for 80% of the lectures is this true for all of the VCOM programs???

EDIT: Are there any campuses you would advise in the realm of reality to apply to that have NON-MANDATORY LECTURES? This is a deal breaker for me. Thank you!
“I’m willing to go to any DO program.” Beggars can’t be choosers, especially with your MCAT score. all VCOM/LECOM campus require mandatory attendance. Also do not apply to PCOM, that would be a donation.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Listen to @Goro advice. You say that mandatory attendance is a deal breaker for you. Well, for DO schools your MCAT of 492 is a deal breaker. Retake the MCAT in the future but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500. Your chances would increase dramatically even if you had a 498.

Reactions: 4 users
Question, do any of you guys recommend applying to PCOM at all at either campus or no based on MCAT? If yes, a question they have in their supplemental application states " Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application". Does anybody advise to mention the 3 low MCAT attempts, or is that just drawing even more attention towards something that should not be talked about? Thanks.
It's not wise to bring attention to an already lethal deficiency.

And yes and replying to PCOM, would be a donation.

In fact applying to any DO school would be a donation

MCAT retake and then apply. With your GPA you shouldn’t need an SMP and some of them have MCAT cut-offs for their programs. All you need is that MCAT.

If I was open to going to a mandatory attendance school like VCOM or LECOM, what does the schedule normally look like for those who are familiar? Is it like M-F 8 am-5 pm required, or like M-F 8 am-12 pm required? Please elaborate. Thanks.

It's not wise to bring attention to an already lethal deficiency.

And yes and replying to PCOM, would be a donation.

In fact applying to any DO school would be a donation
Piggy-backing off of this comment from Goro, I'm unsure how positive adcoms are going to look at a 3.8 GPA with a 492 MCAT score. I'm not an adcom member, but I feel like the 492 might be so low that instead of the 3.8 alleviating some concern for a low MCAT, the MCAT score is so low that it actually causes concern for the 3.8 to be inflated and not representative of the student. Just my $0.02

Reactions: 7 users
If I was open to going to a mandatory attendance school like VCOM or LECOM, what does the schedule normally look like for those who are familiar? Is it like M-F 8 am-5 pm required, or like M-F 8 am-12 pm required? Please elaborate. Thanks.
It doesn’t really matter because beggars can’t be choosers. You have to be accepted first, and that’s going to be a huge almost impossible task. Listen to @Goro

Reactions: 1 users
What is your objection to mandatory lectures???

What is your objection to mandatory lectures???

1. Less time to prepare/study individually for boards/COMLEX.
2. Not learning as much due to inefficiency during class (professor may go off in tangents or discuss their own research).
3. I study better alone versus during lecture, I learn much more at home on my own.
4. Having access to pre-recorded lectures allows you to pause the lecture fast forward it or watch it at a faster speed.
5. Less driving time to and from class.
6. More flexible schedule with pre recorded lectures.
7. Can wake up later on and study and don't have to worry about dressing a certain way (I.e. dress code).
8. A lot of med students talk about mandatory lectures and how it’s a waste of time, I’ve even seen your previous posts in the past that it’s a waste of time for students as well.

Overall: you save a ton of time and headaches.

Having said that, I know I’m not in a position where I can be picky at all. At this point, I am open to any opportunity and I would be utterly grateful for it. If I am given the chance to interview and move forward regardless of mandatory classes, I'll find a way to survive and make it through.

1. Less time to prepare/study individually for boards/COMLEX.
2. Not learning as much due to inefficiency during class (professor may go off in tangents or discuss their own research).
3. I study better alone versus during lecture, I learn much more at home on my own.
4. Having access to pre-recorded lectures allows you to pause the lecture fast forward it or watch it at a faster speed.
5. Less driving time to and from class.
6. More flexible schedule with pre recorded lectures.
7. Can wake up later on and study and don't have to worry about dressing a certain way (I.e. dress code).
8. A lot of med students talk about mandatory lectures and how it’s a waste of time, I’ve even seen your previous posts in the past that it’s a waste of time for students as well.

Overall: you save a ton of time and headaches.

Having said that, I know I’m not in a position where I can be picky at all. At this point, I am open to any opportunity and I would be utterly grateful for it. If I am given the chance to interview and move forward regardless of mandatory classes, I'll find a way to survive and make it through.
ALL of your reasons are valid. It might be best for you to forego this school, and apply to a program next year that is more suited to your learning style.

Med schools are not going anywhere, and in fact by the time you're ready to apply more will probably open their doors.

Just remember this is a marathon now not a Sprint

ALL of your reasons are valid. It might be best for you to forego this school, and apply to a program next year that is more suited to your learning style.

Med schools are not going anywhere, and in fact by the time you're ready to apply more will probably open their doors.

Just remember this is a marathon now not a Sprint

Thank you Goro. Unfortunately, this will be my last year applying to medical schools as I don’t plan on reapplying again in the future. Considering my MCAT score, I can’t choose a school that’s tailored to my learning style unfortunately. If I am not accepted this year then the other alternative option I’m going to pursue is PA.

Thank you Goro. Unfortunately, this will be my last year applying to medical schools as I don’t plan on reapplying again in the future. Considering my MCAT score, I can’t choose a school that’s tailored to my learning style unfortunately. If I am not accepted this year then the other alternative option I’m going to pursue is PA.
But you're not applying to med schools...you're applying to an SMP. You'd apply next year. Med schools won't give you the time of day merely for being in an SMP; they'll want to see a year of great grades.

But you're not applying to med schools...you're applying to an SMP. You'd apply next year. Med schools won't give you the time of day merely for being in an SMP; they'll want to see a year of great grades.
I think there has been a miscommunication here somewhere during the discussion. I'm not applying to an SMP, I'm applying to DO medical schools this cycle.

I think there has been a miscommunication here somewhere during the discussion. I'm not applying to an SMP, I'm applying to DO medical schools this cycle.
I wish you well, but I'm not sanguine as to your chances. Autoreject at the Toruos, CCOM, my school, AZCOM, Westerns, KCU, CUSOM, and the PCOMs. Even LUCOM has standards!

Chances best with the newest schools, but go in eyes open as they have significant weaknesses.

I repeat - LECOM. Use AIS score (undergrad GPA + SAT Score). You can still enter your MCAT on your AACOMAS. @Goro can confirm that we cannot omit from AACOMAS if already taken MCAT?

At LECOM, there are non-mandatory lecture pathways. Don't worry!

I advise taking the MCAT ONE MORE TIME, but only if you feel up to the task, and can break 500. @M&L took the MCAT four times at well, now she's in a MD school.

Also. Although other SDNers will disapprove, I suggest looking into overseas, non-Caribbean options. As in, apply to both DO and select overseas schools simultaneously. However, going overseas is a very risky - only go if you know that you are a well put-together, disciplined, strong student.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you but if you can’t break 500 after 3 attempts, how are you supposed to pass step/complex or the pa board certification exams? If I were you I’d work hard and retake the exam to give yourself piece of mind so you know without a doubt you can do well if you set your mind to it. But that’s me. Good luck regardless

Reactions: 2 users
I repeat - LECOM. Use AIS score (undergrad GPA + SAT Score). You can still enter your MCAT on your AACOMAS. @Goro can confirm that we cannot omit from AACOMAS if already taken MCAT?

At LECOM, there are non-mandatory lecture pathways. Don't worry!

I advise taking the MCAT ONE MORE TIME, but only if you feel up to the task, and can break 500. @M&L took the MCAT four times at well, now she's in a MD school.

Also. Although other SDNers will disapprove, I suggest looking into overseas, non-Caribbean options. As in, apply to both DO and select overseas schools simultaneously. However, going overseas is a very risky - only go if you know that you are a well put-together, disciplined, strong student.

Thanks very much for your response. I was actually able to dig up and find my old SAT scores from high school and had the following questions about that, and the program as well.

1. I took the SAT twice in high school. Does LECOM go off of the more recent one or can you use an older one if you did better on that one overall? Do they average it, or how does it work exactly?

2. Also, how would I go about converting my SAT score since it's obviously on the old scale of 2400 vs the new one of 1600? Does LECOM have any websites for accurate conversions that they'll approve of? I found a website online (www.prepscholar.com) that allows me to convert it as an example.

3. Any current/graduating students from LECOM who attended the DO program and became osteopathic physicians, would you care to list the pros/cons of this program PLEASE??

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
1. Not sure. Enter the better one. Ask LECOM directly for details
2. College of Osteopathic Medicine Entrance Requirements - LECOM check no on "taken after 2016"
3. not sure, but you can look into old LECOM threads on SDN. but the ones that i know are

pros
- high boards pass rate. which means good education
- cool professors
- you get to become a doctor?
- lecom has their own hospital affiliates
- research programs
- they got a 3-year program
- three other pathways, lecture-based, problem-based, independent learning (so very few mandatory things)

cons
- mandatory attendance for PBL LDP
- LECOM-Bradenton has scary clowns on the second floor hallway display case. i saw them myself. nooooooooonononoo
- dress code. you'll have to dress nicely at LECOM
- location is OK but not fantastic.

Your chances are higher at Erie than Bradenton by the way. Bradenton...puts emphasis on MCAT scores. Still, apply to both tho.

Last edited:
If this will be your last attempt at applying to DO schools I suggest you include all these schools in your application:
ACOM
WCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ICOM
BCOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools including new school in Monroe)
Noorda-COM (new school as of this month)
LECOM (Erie, Seton Hall and Elmira)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
The first 4 schools I listed have increased 1st year class enrollment in the past year so they will go deeper into their applicant pool to fill their class. Noorda is a new school that just began accepting applications this month. There is no GPA-MCAT grid for DO schools as there is for MD school but based on limited data that has been released I estimate your chances for an acceptance are less than 20% but how much less is unknown. Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so if you had a MCAT score of 498 you could receive interviews at any of them.

If this will be your last attempt at applying to DO schools I suggest you include all these schools in your application:
ACOM
WCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ICOM
BCOM
LUCOM
The first 4 schools I listed have increased 1st year class enrollment in the past year so they will go deeper into their applicant pool to fill their class. Noorda is a new school that just began accepting applications this month. There is no GPA-MCAT grid for DO schools as there is for MD school but based on limited data that has been released I estimate your chances for an acceptance are less than 20% but how much less is unknown. Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so if you had a MCAT score of 498 you could receive interviews at any of them.

Thank you very much for your response!

1. Out of all of the schools that you listed are there any of them that are not a true pass fail curriculum?

2. Also, if I get a secondary from any of these is that a good sign, or do most of the schools send out secondaries automatically?

3. Finally, if you had to pick the top 5 programs out of the list you provided above how would you rank them from best to worst?

Good grief. You say you want to be a doctor and will go anyplace across the country and now you are putting stipulations on where you’ll go? Really? With a 492 on your third attempt? What where your other scores?

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you very much for your response!

1. Out of all of the schools that you listed are there any of them that are not a true pass fail curriculum?

2. Also, if I get a secondary from any of these is that a good sign, or do most of the schools send out secondaries automatically?

3. Finally, if you had to pick the top 5 programs out of the list you provided above how would you rank them from best to worst?
Almost all schools send out secondaries to nearly every applicant that applies. I do not know the individual details about curriculum. Many of these schools are new so they do not have a history long enough to be ranked in any way.

Hazle, you know better! With such red flags as the OP has in the MCAT history, any medical school anywhere would chew him/her up and spit them out.

Here's data from the AAMC to back that up:
1595613679606.png

1595613637047.png

OP, if you're going to put a gun to my head, I'd say:
ACOM
WVSOM
ATSU-SOMA
ARCOM
UP-KYCOM

The others I can't recommend to such a high-risk applicant.

• Love
ACOM
WCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU-DCOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ICOM
BCOM
LUCOM

Thank you very much for your thorough response. Unfortunately BCOM lists a 493 minimum so I won' be able to apply there (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

For UIWSOM I applied last year with the same MCAT score and got no love, so that would make me a re-applicant which already puts me at a disadvantage. It also may have been since I applied there in November of last year for matriculating into 2020.

I also had a question about LUCOM.....I've heard on sdn that it's known as a notoriously bad school and to avoid it at all costs. What are the major issues/cons with that program so before applying I'm going in with EYES WIDE OPEN? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your thorough response. Unfortunately BCOM lists a 493 minimum so I won' be able to apply there (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I also had a question about LUCOM.....I've heard on sdn that it's known as a notoriously bad school and to avoid it at all costs. What are the major issues/cons with that program so before applying I'm going in with EYES WIDE OPEN? Thanks.

You are correct that BCOM minimum is 493
You won't be able to apply to LUCOM as their minimum is 501

For UIWSOM I applied last year with the same MCAT score and got no love, so that would make me a re-applicant which already puts me at a disadvantage. It also may have been since I applied there in November of last year for matriculating into 2020.

“A competitive MCAT score is in the 50th percentile with no individual section below 35th percentile.”- ICOM website
If you think LUCOM is bad, ICOM is worse and you can’t apply to either of them. Seriously, if you literally won’t be considered at arguably two of the worst medical schools in America because of your MCAT, why aren’t you studying like hell trying to fix it? And if you are indeed looking to make a donation, can I dm you my PayPal info?

Reactions: 3 users
How would one go about applying to NOORDA-COM since it's not listed in the AACOMAS application?

@AquaticSunrise13 So this is what my gut tells me.

Definitely apply to Noorda-COM @Faha mentioned! Your chances are highest there + LECOM

Talk to Noorda admissions about when apps will be available

Also apply to podiatry schools if you're interested in those. Please consider other US allied health professions. Despite your MCAT, you will make it in given your GPA. Might have to take the GRE for them.

Before I address you and respond to @Goro again, are you even interested in overseas med schools?

1. So I just spoke with LECOM and they said that minimum MCAT considered is a 497. Also, minimum AIS score based on SAT is 110, mine came out to a 108, so that's out of the picture.

2. I will have to research/look into Noorda.

3. I'm not open to podiatry schools, overseas/out of the country medical schools. For me personally my back up option is Physician Assistant school.

@AquaticSunrise13 So this is what my gut tells me.

Definitely apply to Noorda-COM @Faha mentioned! Your chances are highest there + LECOM

Talk to Noorda admissions about when apps will be available

Also apply to podiatry schools if you're interested in those. Please consider other US allied health professions. Despite your MCAT, you will make it in given your GPA. Might have to take the GRE for them.

Before I address you and respond to @Goro again, are you even interested in overseas med schools?

For these schools that both Goro and Faha suggested, do you happen to know by any chance which ones are a true P/Fail grading for pre-clinical years? Mandatory attendance is one thing but P/Fail is a wholeeeeee different ballgame.

Mandatory attendance plus graded system is a recipe for stress, burnout, and disaster.

Thank you.

PA is a good backup. Gotta do well on the GRE, which I'm sure you can.

Don't know each school's grading system, ask them/research them individually.

I understand that it can be looming, the prospect of mandatory attendance and letter grades. But if you want to be a doc really badly and if you don't have personal/behavioral/academic issues, you should apply to those schools anyway. If you get in, adapt to those conditions and thrive.

PA is a good backup. Gotta do well on the GRE, which I'm sure you can.

Don't know each school's grading system, ask them/research them individually.

I understand that it can be looming, the prospect of mandatory attendance and letter grades. But if you want to be a doc really badly and if you don't have personal/behavioral/academic issues, you should apply to those schools anyway. If you get in, adapt to those conditions and thrive.

Thanks for the feedback. There are also many PA programs that don't require GRE which is nice. Do u know of any PA's who regret going down that path vs med school?