WAMC: extreme nontrad edition (39 years old)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo88

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.0 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 515 mcat, 123/130/131/131
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): USA, dual citizenship with Brazil (moved to US age 13)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: South American white
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: mid-tier university in Florida, BA in English Literature (2010) and BA in Music (violin performance) (2011), post-bacc premed classes at a community college in texas (started them in 2020, finished them this year)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 200 hours hospice volunteer, 100 hours paid CNA
  7. Research experience and productivity: none
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 20 hours FM physician shadowing, 40 hours Psychiatry physician shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours violin teacher at a non profit music school for poor kids, 100 hours middle school English tutor, 50 hours soup kitchen volunteer, 100 hours crisis text line volunteer, 200 hours picking up trash in the neighborhood I live in while on my daily walks
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): violinist, Brazilian jiu jitsu, half-marathoner, music criticism, competitive powerlifting
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Honors at community college where I did my post-bacc premed classes
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: compulsive violin practicer. 39 years old. 11 years working a lowly entry level customer service role at a tech company full time 50 hours a week, the past 3 years simultaneously working as a violin teacher part time at a private music school 14 hours a week. Voracious reader of science non-fiction (Robert Sapolsky and Oliver Sacks are the heroes of my 30s just how Faulkner and Vonnegut were the heroes of my 20s). In my 20s: 3 years life insurance agent, 4 years university resident assistant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you may receive interviews. For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane and TCU. Also apply to more DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you may receive interviews. For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane and TCU. Also apply to more DO schools and I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
Thank you very much for being so thorough. Is my total lack of research a red flag? I don’t know how to get involved in research.

Thank you very much for being so thorough. Is my total lack of research a red flag? I don’t know how to get involved in research.
Lack of research will not matter for DO schools. For MD it is often the top tier schools that value research.

Reactions: 1 user