DO WAMC/ DO list 3.05 cGPA 3.43, sGPA, 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harold Flower

Reaction score
Howdy, y'all

I just received my MCAT score, 504 (126/123/128/127). I am a semi-nontraditional student who decided to pursue medicine after finishing a separate degree 3 years ago. I have already sent out my app to several schools (VCOMs, UNECOM, PCOM, LECOM). I was wondering which additional programs I should apply to and if anyone had any further advice for possibly improving my app if I don't get in this cycle. I do not have a strong preference for a location, as I really just want to be a physician at the end of the day.

Undergraduate degree- B.S. in Accounting

GPA- cGPA 3.05, sGPA 3.43. I have a strong trend in my cGPA, Freshman 1.94, Sophmore, 2.21, Junior 3.27, Senior 3.65. My senior year includes my last 120 credit hours, so I did finish strong despite a poor start due to my lack of focus in my early years. My science GPA also has a strong trend as I performed well in my pre requires. I am still taking graduate science classes to improve my content knowledge and science GPA, but there is not much I can do to improve my cGPA as I have taken around 240 credits as a student and have already worked hard to get my cGPA above a 3.00

Age & Ethnicity- Not sure if it matters, but 27 and caucasian.

State residency- Maine

Undergraduate degree location- Virginia

EC's- I have 300+ volunteering hours (assisted living home for the elderly, biology tutor at my college, mentoring kids at my local juvenile corrections facility). I also have around 150 hours of research experience. No publications, but I did present a poster on my research.

Clinical experience- Besides 60 hours of shadowing at an orthopedics clinic, I do not have clinical experience. Hopefully, I will be able to gain some clinical experience this year, but not sure how the COVID situation will affect that.

Letters of rec- I have solid letters from professors that I tutored for and did research with. I also have one from my tutoring supervisor as she always wrote me excellent evaluations. I do not have a DO letter, but I do have one from an MD., I am not sure if I should try to get a D.O. letter for my app.

Just wondering which programs I should apply to and what my overall chances are. If I don't get in this cycle, I may retake the MCAT next year. Any advice on my app would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could add any of these schools:
CUSOM
MU-COM
ACOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU (both schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM

Hey, thanks for the reply @Faha

Do you think it might be worth a shot to apply to Noorda (the new program), BCOM, or ICOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for the reply @Faha

Do you think it might be worth a shot to apply to Noorda (the new program), BCOM, or ICOM?
Yes, but if you are accepted to any of the schools I listed choose one of them instead. BCOM is under accreditation monitoring and Noorda is admitting its first class next year so has no track record.

Thanks for the advice @Faha . Just curious if you think I should consider an MCAT retake? I'm sure I could improve as I scored a little lower than my FL average for cars and psych. Or do you think my score will be ok considering the other parts of my app?

Thanks for the advice @Faha . Just curious if you think I should consider an MCAT retake? I'm sure I could improve as I scored a little lower than my FL average for cars and psych. Or do you think my score will be ok considering the other parts of my app?
You do not need to retake your MCAT of 504 for an application to DO schools.

You do not need to retake your MCAT of 504 for an application to DO schools.
Oh ok, I figured my cars section might be a little concerning considering that my overall gpa is on the lower side. I noticed that CUSOM, ICOM and KCU-COM have 3.2 gpa cutoffs. Do you still recommend applying to these progrmas or will I possibly get screened out?

Oh ok, I figured my cars section might be a little concerning considering that my overall gpa is on the lower side. I noticed that CUSOM, ICOM and KCU-COM have 3.2 gpa cutoffs. Do you still recommend applying to these progrmas or will I possibly get screened out?
You may be screened out at CUSOM but probably not the others.

You may be screened out at CUSOM but probably not the others.
Gotcha. I added most of the schools that you recommended. Do you think there is a good chance I will get some interviews or maybe even an acceptance? I would be extremely grateful for really any program to accept me.

Gotcha. I added most of the schools that you recommended. Do you think there is a good chance I will get some interviews or maybe even an acceptance? I would be extremely grateful for really any program to accept me.
You should receive several interviews. Acceptances will depend on how well your interviews go.

You should receive several interviews. Acceptances will depend on how well your interviews go.
Thank You for all of your help! One last question, I forgot to mention that I applied to PNW-COM. Do you think that I have a realistic chance of getting an interview there? They sent me a secondary that I haven't submitted yet, but PNW-COM isn't one of the schools you recommended.

Thank You for all of your help! One last question, I forgot to mention that I applied to PNW-COM. Do you think that I have a realistic chance of getting an interview there? They sent me a secondary that I haven't submitted yet, but PNW-COM isn't one of the schools you recommended.
Yes, you could try that school. They have some regional preference but your stats are competitive for that school.