WAMC 3.6/504 MCAT ORM (applying DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firetypestarter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a reapplicant, but this time mainly osteopathic medical schools. I just want a legit school list so I do not waste money.

1. cGPA: 3.6 sGPA 3.5
  2. 504 125/125/127/127
  3. Texas, United States
  4. Asian American
  5. Upper Mid tier? (university of texas)
  6. Nursing Assistant (2.5 years, probably like 500 + hours) ; Pre-Med org's Medical mission in mexico
  7. Social Science research regarding advertising during COVID-19; One poster regarding the impact of Pests on health.
  8. No Shadowing.
  9. Volunteering for foster kids with pre-med org. Participated in providing resources for low-income tenants in order to help with their pest problems.
  10. Basketball coach for youth group and rec league actively participated in the college church group. I was a biochemistry TA for my senior year.
  11. Scholarship for Freshman Year; Strong LORs ( one from professor I TA'd with, one physician rec (organization director) , and one from a professor I was cllose with)

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
NOVA
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are a reapplicant and you still don’t have any shadowing? Why? You really need 50 hours of shadowing including some with a PCP before you reapply.
How have you significantly improved your application since the previous cycle? Did you get any II last time? If so what was the outcome-outright R or a WL spot?

I would hold until I get 50 hours of shadowing physicians. Having zero is going to put you in the "deny interview" pile.
Ok sounds good, I can get some hours this month.

Last edited:
You are a reapplicant and you still don’t have any shadowing? Why? You really need 50 hours of shadowing including some with a PCP before you reapply.
How have you significantly improved your application since the previous cycle? Did you get any II last time? If so what was the outcome-outright R or a WL spot?
I took the MCAT recently, so I think that was one of my biggest weaknesses. I actually did not apply through the DO portal just AMCAS and TMDSAS. I figured that I have clinical experience that I didn't need shadowing and that it wouldn't really help my application in the grand scheme of things. But luckily, there are a lot of clinics/hospitals around and I can shadow there, if it is a dealbreaker.

I get my score in a couple of weeks, so that is probably going to be my biggest improvement if the FL's are an accurate measure. I worked two jobs as a waiter and continued my job as a CNA. Will start a CRC/CRA job soon. No new additions to community service or research.

And yes I got two II's last time. One MD, and one DO. I only applied to two Do's, which were through the TMDSAS.
One R, and WL (still waiting, but not hopeful).

Yeah, hold off on applying till you get some shadowing. Try to shadow a DO physician too.
Yall's thoughts on online shadowing?

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
@Firetypestarter don't shoot yourself in your little reptile foot - Set yourself up for success by doing the things schools expect!
So I have various clinical experiences, but none of was "shadowing"...
One was hospital volunteering and the other was my CNA job , so I was wondering if I HAVE to get shadowing experience?

• Okay...
So I have various clinical experiences, but none of was "shadowing"...
One was hospital volunteering and the other was my CNA job , so I was wondering if I HAVE to get shadowing experience?
How did that work out for ya last year?

How do you know medicine is right for you without having experience observing a physician’s daily work-life? Shadowing is one of the few first-hand experiences you’ll get to medicine that’ll reflect what you may be a part of during medical school. Your lack of shadowing hours will get you screened out at many DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users