MD & DO WAMC cGPA: 3.52 (MD), 3.57 (DO) sGPA (MD): 3.58, sGPA(DO): 3.49, MCAT: 511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parasiteeater13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get destroyed on this thread but need advice on stats and school list
  • State/Country of Residence: IL, USA
  • URM? (Y/N): N (Chinese-American)
  • Year in School: Graduate (Graduated in June 2020)
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biochemistry
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.52, DO- 3.57
  • Science GPA: MD - 3.58, DO - 3.49
  • MCAT Score(s): 505, 507, 511
  • Research Experience: Ecology/Biophysics - ~1000 hours (we never kept track of the hours but the months were Sept 2019 - Jan 2021)
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): Ecology/Biophysics Pub on Frontiers - (Not sure on author but def not first author)
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ~450 Hours - Hospital Volunteer (US), 100 hours - Hospital Volunteer (Overseas), ~120 Hours - Event EMT-B (Paid)
  • Physician Shadowing: 45 hours - Ophthalmologist MD
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: COVE Tutor - 16 hours currently (projected to be 50 hours in August)
I also made a very crude list with no consideration for in-state bias and other factors so please do inform me on those factors:

MD:
  • Albany Medical College
  • Toledo
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • West Virginia University School of Medicine
  • University of Arizona College of Medicine
  • Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  • Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  • Indiana University School of Medicine
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • University of Illinois at Chicago (STATE SCHOOL)
  • Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  • Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  • Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
  • Drexel
  • Georgetown
DO schools:
  • ATSU-KCOM
  • ACOM
  • BCOM
  • CUSOM
  • DMU-COM
  • VCOM
  • ICOM
  • KCUCOM-JP
  • KCUCOM-KC
  • LECOM
  • LECOM-B
  • LUCOM
  • LMU-DCOM
  • MWU-AZCOM
  • MWU-CCOM
  • NSU-KPCOM
  • PNWU-COM
  • PCOM
  • PCOM-SGA
  • TouroCOM-NY
  • TUCOM-CA
  • TUNCOM
  • UNECOM
  • WCUCOM
  • Noorda-COM
Edit: Added third MCAT and the GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
For MD schools I suggest these
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 users
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thanks for the recommendations; just wanted to ask since I'm from Chicago, should I take out Southern Illinois?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the recommendations; just wanted to ask since I'm from Chicago, should I take out Southern Illinois?
Yes. Take out SIU. And Rush- they expect hundreds if not thousands of hours of service to the less fortunate. You have 16 hours tutoring at a program. You should also take off the Jesuit schools on your list for the same reason. You also need some primary care shadowing. UIC is fine because it is your state school. @Faha has provided you with a much better list.
Did you know AMCAS reps that schools average multiple MCAT test scores. Some do and some don’t. Just be aware of this. Why are you retaking it again? Three times?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Take out SIU. And Rush- they expect hundreds if not thousands of hours of service to the less fortunate. You have 16 hours tutoring at a program. You should also take off the Jesuit schools on your list for the same reason. You also need some primary care shadowing. UIC is fine because it is your state school. @Faha has provided you with a much better list.
Did you know AMCAS reps that schools average multiple MCAT test scores. Some do and some don’t. Just be aware of this. Why are you retaking it again? Three times?
Thanks for the advice; as for the third MCAT retake, I'm assumed that 507 isn't a great score to have but I did know about how certain schools do average MCAT scores.

Also, shadowing has been a tough requirement to fulfill due to the COVID still going on; I'm currently working on that.

Edit: add words

Last edited:
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Could I get feedback for the DO school list I made? Just wanted to know why some of the schools were taken out.

edit: added some words

Could I get feedback for the DO school list I made? Just wanted to know why some of the schools were taken out.

edit: added some words

With your stats you do not need to apply to the large number of schools on your original list. I removed some newer schools such as Noorda and ICOM since they have no track record to evaluate residency placement. See the school thread for LMU-DCOM on SDN.

With your stats you do not need to apply to the large number of schools on your original list. I removed some newer schools such as Noorda and ICOM since they have no track record to evaluate residency placement. See the school thread for LMU-DCOM on SDN.
Thanks for feedback; just got my last MCAT score: 511 (128,127,128,128) any changes to the list?

No, but you are a little more likely to receive MD interviews from the schools I listed.
Should I be worried about yield protection in terms of DO schools? Could I add Georgetown to the list?

DO schools do not do yield protection with your stats. You could add Georgetown.
Thanks for the advice; Just gonna put some random schools on the list to consider:

- Tulane
- Wake Forest
- Creighton
- Miami

Sorry for bothering you so much; I'm just worried about getting in is all.

Dont apply to Southern Illinois unless you live in the specific gear graphic area they pull their class from.

You could add those.
Thanks for the help; also I feel like I want to add more DO schools to the list rather than MDs (I have taken out Jefferson, Wake Forest, Creighton); Is there any DO schools that you recommend I add to the list?

Thanks for the help; also I feel like I want to add more DO schools to the list rather than MDs (I have taken out Jefferson, Wake Forest, Creighton); Is there any DO schools that you recommend I add to the list?
If you want to add more DO schools consider CUSOM, VCOM (all schools except Monroe), ACOM.

If you want to add more DO schools consider CUSOM, VCOM (all schools except Monroe), ACOM.
Thanks for the recommendations; I also found some schools for my MD list:
- Indiana
- Colorado
- Virginia Commonwealth
- West Virginia
- Eastern Virginia

Mind telling if these schools are ok or if they have some kind of factor that I am not aware of?

Thanks for the recommendations; I also found some schools for my MD list:
- Indiana
- Colorado
- Virginia Commonwealth
- West Virginia
- Eastern Virginia

Mind telling if these schools are ok or if they have some kind of factor that I am not aware of?
Many of the non residents admitted to West Virginia are from adjoining states. The others all give preference to residents of their own states to varying degrees and admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.