WAMC - 521/3.98 in need of school list help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourformula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) Thanks for the help y'all!

State/Country of Residence: AZ

URM? (Y/N): ORM

Year in School: 3rd

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biomedical Sciences (Large State School)

Cumulative GPA: 3.98

Science GPA: 4.0

MCAT Score(s): 521 (130,130,130,131)

Research Experience: Computational genomics lab @ school (2.5 years), Summer research @ Mayo (200+ hrs), Clinical research: hand surgery (100+ hrs)

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): 2 poster presentations at undergraduate research symposium, will have thesis paper on computational genomic research

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): MA at primary care clinic (500+ hrs), COVID Screener at hospital (200+ hrs), Hospice volunteer (50+ hrs)

Physician Shadowing: Cardiology + orthopedics (50+ hrs)

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Teaching elementary kids science (300+ hrs)Contact tracing (200+ hrs)Refugee-involved volunteering (100+ hrs)

Other Extracurricular Activities: Golf (team captain in HS)

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Surg, ortho, cardio (very open!)

Medical School List:

All AZ Schools (UofA PHX/Tucson, Mayo, Creighton)

Keck, Kaiser, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF (Would love to attend any of these)

Pitt, Miami, USF, UCF, Vandy, CaseWestern, Icahn, Iowa

Baylor, UTSW (Worth applying to TMDSAS?)

NYU, Pritzker, NW, JHU, Duke, Ivies (big reaches)

Einstein, BU, Emory, Drexel (worth applying to based on stats?)

Total of about 35 schools on my list that I'm interested in. Want to narrow it down a bit!

Worries: Wondering how no pubs will affect my competitiveness for schools like Keck + Kaiser. Shadowing hours aren't extensive due to COVID
What are your thoughts @Goro @Faha @LizzyM ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not really worth applying to TMDSAS IMO. Your stats are good to get your attention at a lot of places. I wouldn't worry a ton about research but be able to describe what you do using non-jargon language when you are networking with medical students to confirm your list.

Remove Drexel and UCF since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis. Almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Hofstra
Rochester
Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Drexel and UCF since they will "yield protect" with your stats. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis. Almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Hofstra
Rochester
Cincinnati
Thank you so much for your insight! I will definitely look into adding those. I've also heard/read that Brown and BU are known to be "low-yield". Since my school list is pretty large, would you recommend that I remove these schools?

Not really worth applying to TMDSAS IMO. Your stats are good to get your attention at a lot of places. I wouldn't worry a ton about research but be able to describe what you do using non-jargon language when you are networking with medical students to confirm your list.
Yes I was really debating if it was worth to apply to TMDSAS as an OOS. I like the idea of studying in Houston (tuition), but given their admission policies I don't want to waste time. Thank you!

Thank you so much for your insight! I will definitely look into adding those. I've also heard/read that Brown and BU are known to be "low-yield". Since my school list is pretty large, would you recommend that I remove these schools?
You are competitive for those schools. You would be better off to remove the Texas schools.