WAMC and School List (3.98/521)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyloidbetahater

Reaction score
GPA; 3.98
sGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 521 (130/129/132/130)

ORM

Research Experience: 1700 hours in one lab with 2 poster presentations and 1 first-author publication. 300 hours in another lab with nothing special
Clinical Experience: 300 hours as a MRI volunteer, 200 hours as a surgical admissions volunteer, 100 hours as a hospital concierge and medical interpreter
Physician Shadowing: 50 hours with a family doctor, haven't been able to find anyone else :(
Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours at a food bank
Teaching: 200 hours as a peer mentor
Leadership: 100 hours as a hospital volunteer trainer, 200 hours as an executive of a student club
Hobbies: 500 hours of swimming, 200 hours of hiking

My overall theme for my app is advocating for non-English speakers in medicine. All of my volunteering (including food bank) involve me interpreting for non-English speakers. I also grew up as an ESL student with limited English proficiency. So that's the theme I'm sort of going for, let me know if it's good.

School List:
All T20s (yolo)
Rochester, Minnesota, Tufts, UVA, Boston, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Hofstra, Drexel, Geisinger, George Washington, Georgetown, Keck, Temple, Morehouse, NYMC, Sidney Kimmel, Penn State, Tulane, Wake Forest.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably should move this to WAMC forms for any mods who are out there.

What's your state of residence?

Anyways, your application is a rock star app, although your non-clinical at the food bank is a bit low. It meets the 150 hour criterion but it might not be a good fit for some schools (looking at Boston U and Georgetown in particular).

Morehouse is an HBCU so maybe not the best fit there as an ORM.

If I might also ask, what languages (specifically) are you proficient in? For example, if you're proficient in Spanish, I'd look to see programs that work with large Spanish-speaking populations.

50 schools is A LOT. I get the desire to apply to all the T20s to maximize your shot but imo unless you've already started pre-writing secondaries you may struggle to turn around timely, quality essays...consider culling your list down to 30 and select amongst T20s as to which ones you a. fit the best with and b. you are the most interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably should move this to WAMC forms for any mods who are out there.

What's your state of residence?

Anyways, your application is a rock star app, although your non-clinical at the food bank is a bit low. It meets the 150 hour criterion but it might not be a good fit for some schools (looking at Boston U and Georgetown in particular).

Morehouse is an HBCU so maybe not the best fit there as an ORM.

If I might also ask, what languages (specifically) are you proficient in? For example, if you're proficient in Spanish, I'd look to see programs that work with large Spanish-speaking populations.

50 schools is A LOT. I get the desire to apply to all the T20s to maximize your shot but imo unless you've already started pre-writing secondaries you may struggle to turn around timely, quality essays...consider culling your list down to 30 and select amongst T20s as to which ones you a. fit the best with and b. you are the most interested in.
Thanks for the fast reply!

I am actually stateless lol (its complicated).

I'll get rid of BU and Georgetown.

My languages are Urdu and Hindi, so I'd like to work with South Asian populations.

How do I decide which T20s to cull? They all seem research heavy which is what I am interested in. Are there any that I might have a poor chance with given the information provided?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your list against

Reach out to chapter officers.

Also check for APAMSA chapters.

Your original list has many who would likely yield protect, so make sure you argue why you would attend their programs.

Last edited:
Check your list against

Reach out to chapter officers.

Also check for APAMSA chapters.

Your original list has many who would likely yield protect, so make sure you argue why you would attend their programs.
Thanks so much, will do! Which ones will yield protect?

Take off: NYMC, Tulane, Wake, Morehouse, Temple, GW, Georgetown, Drexel, RFU, and Minnesota (Unless ties). Faha always says to cap lists around 35 to avoid burnout. The schools above will either yield protect you, don't fit with your profile, or are instate biased.

Impressive stats. I'd be intrigued to see what you got out of each of your activities. I think it is reasonable to have a few (maybe 5) 'safer' schools but the T20s, thats a lot of secondaries as well as interviews to go on. Also, I wouldn't focus too much on what are the ranks of the schools either. Truth is, unless you're attending essentially a T5 school, it is difficult for a residency program to place THAT much emphasis on where you attended. Some schools will have a world-renowned plastic surgery program for example, even though the med school itself is crap. They could have all of the right connections to match at your dream program. Plus, unless going into medicine is about bolstering your own ego, you may find that even a nonT20 will give you a leg up on the match process and your competitiveness for a specialty. Simply put, med school is just another step. To be honest, every school reinvents the curve, and it is more difficult to shine when your pond is excessively large. PDs for residency just don't have a means to compare how intense the academic rigor is at one school ranked 8 vs 20, vs 30. None of the schools you have mentioned would bar you from a top flight residency, even if they are out of T20. Also, be warned that residency advising and helping students match is not proportional to the ranking a medical school has. I attended a T20 and I felt that our advising for residency in my specialty (of which my institution is well known for), was pretty pathetic at the time. On the interview trail, I oddly found those attending outside of the research-driven T20 powerhouses having better physician mentors, teachers, and advisors. Residency (and fellowship that follows) carries that much more weight.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
GPA; 3.98
sGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 521 (130/129/132/130)

ORM

Research Experience: 1700 hours in one lab with 2 poster presentations and 1 first-author publication. 300 hours in another lab with nothing special
Clinical Experience: 300 hours as a MRI volunteer, 200 hours as a surgical admissions volunteer, 100 hours as a hospital concierge and medical interpreter
Physician Shadowing: 50 hours with a family doctor, haven't been able to find anyone else :(
Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours at a food bank
Teaching: 200 hours as a peer mentor
Leadership: 100 hours as a hospital volunteer trainer, 200 hours as an executive of a student club
Hobbies: 500 hours of swimming, 200 hours of hiking

My overall theme for my app is advocating for non-English speakers in medicine. All of my volunteering (including food bank) involve me interpreting for non-English speakers. I also grew up as an ESL student with limited English proficiency. So that's the theme I'm sort of going for, let me know if it's good.

School List:
All T20s (yolo)
Rochester, Minnesota, Tufts, UVA, Boston, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Hofstra, Drexel, Geisinger, George Washington, Georgetown, Keck, Temple, Morehouse, NYMC, Sidney Kimmel, Penn State, Tulane, Wake Forest.
I suggest the following:
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Harvard
JHU
Mayo
Northwestern
NYU
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
Case
Hofstra
Stanford
Baylor
BU
Pitt
Sinai
U MI
USF Morsani
UTSW
Brown
Kaiser (only 50 seats!)
Rochester
SUNY-SB
U AZ-P (favors westerners)
USC/Keck
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
NYMC
Ohio State
U Cincy
U IA
U MA
UCSF
Creighton
Gtown
Hackensack Meridian
Jefferson
Miami
NYU-LI
SLU
Tufts
U CO
U VM
UCF
UCLA [likes disadvantaged]
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
VCU
Western MI

Yes, it's a long list. Your job is to cull it down, based upon your needs/interests. Suggest those schools that are closest to family and support groups, and have the least tuition, and most likely to have good merit scholarships.

Also suggest getting in more service to other who are not like you. Get out of your comfort zone.