WAMC: 507/3.96 sGPA ORM, MD School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roastedcheese

Reaction score
1. cGPA/sGPA : 3.93/3.96
2. MCAT: 507 (127/125/126/129)
3. Residence: Michigan (lived in Chicago from 0-10 age)
4. ORM - Asian, First Generation, Low-SES
5. T50-75 Undergrad
6. Clinical Experience - 1200 + 2500 hours anticipated (CNA, MA, Hospital Volunteer w/ leadership)
7. Research Experience - 750 hours, 3 years w/ one poster presentation and one manuscript submitted
8. Shadowing - 80 hours (Derm, OB/GYN + chief of staff, Cardio, Dominican Republic Family Medicine from service trip)
9. Non-Clinical - ENGin (teaching Ukrainian students English for 2.5 years, 200 hours), Homeless Shelter (4 years - Spending time with kids during daycare, 200 hours), Service Club (4 years - 600 hours, served as secretary and service chair, raised 508$ for gifts for low-ses families, started pen pal program that went in the newspaper and still continues, + plenty of service events)
10. Other - Pre-Health Club (served as social chair and president, roughly 800 hours, lots of leadership + big milestones for the club, had 400 people rush each year, raised 3000$ for homeless people, numerous speakers coming in, had to deal with upwards of 30,000$ of finances for the club, etc.), Undergraduate TA (150 hours, Organic Chemistry), Dominican Republic Service Trip (was actually a volunteer trip, we worked for 12 hours a day not "voluntourism"), Cooking Hobby (talked about my family restaurant, mother being asian and cooking food, learning to cook as a hobby for roommates and homeless shelter), Computer Engineering Hobby (grew up in chicago w/ robberies, crime, etc. parents got us hooked on video games to keep us inside and I've built computers ever since, still do) and Honor's College

Theme
for Application: A lot of the theme of my application was talking about my experiences of facing a healthcare system that had boundaries speaking with patients who couldn't communicate properly. A lot of challenges, low-SES, growing up in chicago (used to sleep in a closet), mother was immunosuppressed and I navigated her health care through translating/communicating since the age of 9, being able to connect with patients in a way that's more personal with patience & empathy, lots of service involved in my experiences that tied it into my own struggles + its reflections and why it fulfilled me. Low-SES, worked numerous jobs throughout all of college, had to find guidance myself as none of my parents went to school, etc. There's a lot more to the theme that I can't really fit in here. I will say, I took the Ryan Grey approach on writing essays.

Current list of schools

MD:
MSU MD, Wayne, Oakland, UofM (reach), Rush (#1 pick, toured it and loved it), Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Florida International, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, USC Columbia, USC Greenville, South Carolina College of Med, Temple, Drexel, UCLA

DO: MSU DO, Midwestern DO, WesternU COMP

As you can tell, I really prefer to stay either in Michigan or Chicago, but I'm also open to schools down south or even west. What are your guys' thoughts on the apps, and do you have any recommendations on what other schools to apply? As of right now I want to do 20 MD, and then 5ish DO schools. Would definitely prefer MD, but would choose DO if it was my only choice.

Members don't see this ad.

UNC, the South Carolina schools and UCLA admit very few non residents with your MCAT of 507and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Michigan (reach)
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
MSUCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

UNC, the South Carolina schools and UCLA admit very few non residents with your MCAT of 507and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Michigan (reach)
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
MSUCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help with that! Also, just curious about what was wrong with FIU and Chapel Hill for MD Schools? Also, would you recommend applying to that many DO Schools? I just want to know what your thoughts are on my application, and what my chances would be landing an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help with that! Also, just curious about what was wrong with FIU and Chapel Hill for MD Schools? Also, would you recommend applying to that many DO Schools? I just want to know what your thoughts are on my application, and what my chances would be landing an MD school.
UNC admits very few (if any ) non residents with a MCAT of 507 and no connection to North Carolina. Florida International matriculates only 2 or 3 non residents per year with a MCAT of 507 or lower.
Apply to at least 6 DO schools from my list.

Reactions: 1 users
UNC admits very few (if any ) non residents with a MCAT of 507 and no connection to North Carolina. Florida International matriculates only 2 or 3 non residents per year with a MCAT of 507 or lower.
Apply to at least 6 DO schools from my list.
Would you say I have good chances for landing MD though with my application, would you say? So sorry for all the questions, I greatly appreciate your help through this!

I see you already visited Rush. Have you connected with them to get any preliminary feedback on your application? You definitely may get interest from them, perhaps Loyola and RFUMS.

Reactions: 1 user
I see you already visited Rush. Have you connected with them to get any preliminary feedback on your application? You definitely may get interest from them, perhaps Loyola and RFUMS.
So I tried to reach out to them, but unfortunately, they only sent back a general response email saying if students were interested in Rush then to visit their website. It kind of sucks, I tried emailing one of the students I met too and they never responded.