WAMC, 3.75/521 ORM - School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taquitolord

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying in 2024 - 2025 Cycle - this includes expected hours from next year
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.75 cGPA, 3.71 sGPA - upward trend (3.62, 3.53, 3.93, 4.00)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (130, 131, 129, 131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: T5
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. 700 hours - Volunteer Medical Assistant - Low income Clinic/Spanish Speaking during Covid - did covid testing, phlebotomy, vaccinations, triaging, managed Covid 19 testing department at Clinic
    2. 300 hours - Volunteer Harm Reduction Program - worked in the community to prevent overdoses and work as a wound triage
    3. 200 hours - Volunteer Spanish-speaking clinic - Front desk + Volunteer Coordinator
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. 2000 hours - Research Assistant - worked in pretty well known lab working on cancer treatments for all four years
    2. 500 hours - Clinical Research Assistant - oncology
    3. 4000 hours - Bioinformatics - working FT (gap year) at a research hospital on cancer treatment development
    4. 8 publications, 10 posters - 5 coauthors, 3 first authors for manuscripts
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. 76 hours
    2. Cardiology: 6 hours
    3. Pediatric oncology - 20 hours
    4. Pediatric Surgery - 15 hours
    5. Gen Surg - 15 hours
    6. Endocrinology - 10 hours
    7. Family Med - 10 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. 1500 hours - Founded and Direct a national nonprofit for education - ran multiple summer programs and workshops + year-round tutoring (done this for 5 years now)
    2. 400 hours - volunteer peer counseling help-line
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
    1. 500 hours - Teach for America Ignite
    2. 300 hours - head coach of ethics at a high school
    3. 200 hours - president of community health club at school
    4. 400 hours - singing group (organized songs and performed numerous shows/competitions)
    5. 200 hours - brain tumor foundation - established a career program for survivors and an in school program, work with kids to re-assimilate post-treatment
    6. 600 hours - MCAT tutor - tutored mcat at a local school for postbacc students
    7. Expecting to complete a graduate certificate from Johns Hopkins starting this month in public health
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans list
    2. Phi Betta Kappa
    3. Young Investigator Award for 2 conferences
    4. Leadership award grants from school (2)
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. grades were especially poor in 2nd year as my parents were both in the hospital for Covid and my priority was not school - idk if this is important but I basically got all Bs for a semester because of that.
School List:
Emory, Vandy,
Boston, Columbia, Cornell, Cleveland Clinic, Icahn, NYULI, Penn, Jeff, Temple, Pitt, Einstein, Tufts, Penn St., Georgetown, George Washington, Pritzker, Michigan, Colorado, UCSF, UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC, Stanford, Kaiser, NYU, Yale, Hopkins, CWRU

Are there other schools I could add to my school list to make it more balanced? Are there ways I can improve my app further in this last year before I apply? Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a big problem with the list other than it being maybe a bit top heavy, but you have the stats.

Your accomplishments focus a lot on education. You have service orientation, but do you have a mission fit? Do you want an academic or professor path? Not necessarily MD/PhD, but many schools will have med education certificates to teach others, like anatomy education,or interprofessional skills. Is this where you see yourself?

I don't see a big problem with the list other than it being maybe a bit top heavy, but you have the stats.

Your accomplishments focus a lot on education. You have service orientation, but do you have a mission fit? Do you want an academic or professor path? Not necessarily MD/PhD, but many schools will have med education certificates to teach others, like anatomy education,or interprofessional skills. Is this where you see yourself?
Thanks for the insight @Mr.Smile12 -- I think that's probably where I see myself most. I have a passion for medicine but I also absolutely love teaching and would love the opportunity to combine the two in some way down the line

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a year, so do your homework on the schools. Many of them do have opportunities to give med students an early taste of the fundamentals of education pedagogy when it comes to medical or interprofessional education. Find out what is involved and whether you would like it.

A sample (including a few you might not have on your list, just to show you what exists):

You have a year, so do your homework on the schools. Many of them do have opportunities to give med students an early taste of the fundamentals of education pedagogy when it comes to medical or interprofessional education. Find out what is involved and whether you would like it.

A sample (including a few you might not have on your list, just to show you what exists):
This is incredibly useful, thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user