WAMC, 3.51 GPA, 18 DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrisPDentDream

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 7/31/2023
Verified and Processed: 8/29/2023
Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.37
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.37
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st attempt: 17 AA, 16 TS, 16 BIO, 18 GC, 15 OC, 19 RC, 18 QR, 19 PAT
2nd attempt: 18 AA, 17 TS, 17 BIO, 15 GC, 20 OC, 21 RC, 16 QR, 22 PAT
State of Residence: Texas - Double Citizenship

Undergrad Attended: Graduated 2022
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Minor: NA
Minority? Yes - Latino
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience:
100 hrs - General dentist only
Volunteering Experience: 300+ hrs - local dental missions, food bank, volunteered at my local dental school, shelters.
Employment: Dental Assistant - 7 years of experience (General, Pediatric, Perio). Pheblotomist for Perio we make PRFs and do IV sedations.
Research: 150 hrs - Biomedical Engineering research in tissue engineering for undergraduate, Social research for the dental school. Posters for both types of research.
Other Extracurriculars: Leader for pre dental club. Lead dental assistant at my perio dental clinic.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, pre dental day Houston, El Paso and San Antonio. UTHSCSA LEAD program 2020 and 2021.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Hispanic Dental Association - Won 2 pre dental scholarships in 2022 and 2023. Won 1st place for Dental School Poster research.
LOR type and strength: 1 Dentist/boss - Very strong, 1 Dental Faculty - Very Strong, 1 Director of Volunteering missions - Very strong and strong relations with San Antonio Dental School, and 1 Science professor - Fair ( I only took one class with him and I did not have the opportunity to see it beforehand).
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Low DAT is my main concern. From Peru, did not know English when I moved to the US, Dad is a dentist in Peru, Really strong personal statements where I discuss my journey and all the things I have done to this point to become a dentist.
School list:
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio
El Paso

Members don't see this ad.

The just below-average GPA and below-average DAT don't necessarily help your cause, but since you were a Biomed engineer I think they will notice that, but will they cut you some slack, I'm doubtful. I do think you have your mission fit for schools, given your volunteer work surrounds helping those less fortunate than you and your background is certainly something that should help you stand out. I haven't read your PS, but based on what's here I think it could be strong as well.

Your list is very small, and Texas schools are tough to get into, but being an IS resident will hopefully help you out. I would have recommended another 5-7 schools on top of that list, but if you only have the funds to apply to those 4 then that is what works best for you.

Also, more of an ethics thing but you shouldn't read your letters. I was asked in one of my interviews last cycle if I read my letters from my interviewer and they asked me what they think my LOR's would have said. I just stated what I thought they put in the letters based on my conversations with the profs beforehand, but I don't know exactly what they said. Small detail, but it is important to be ethical.

Reactions: 1 user
The just below-average GPA and below-average DAT don't necessarily help your cause, but since you were a Biomed engineer I think they will notice that, but will they cut you some slack, I'm doubtful. I do think you have your mission fit for schools, given your volunteer work surrounds helping those less fortunate than you and your background is certainly something that should help you stand out. I haven't read your PS, but based on what's here I think it could be strong as well.

Your list is very small, and Texas schools are tough to get into, but being an IS resident will hopefully help you out. I would have recommended another 5-7 schools on top of that list, but if you only have the funds to apply to those 4 then that is what works best for you.

Also, more of an ethics thing but you shouldn't read your letters. I was asked in one of my interviews last cycle if I read my letters from my interviewer and they asked me what they think my LOR's would have said. I just stated what I thought they put in the letters based on my conversations with the profs beforehand, but I don't know exactly what they said. Small detail, but it is important to be ethical.
Thanks for the advice! I will keep in mind about the LoR, Yeah I wish I could apply to more schools but my wife is in nursing school and we do not want to increase our debt, and especially leaving her so I gotta stay in Texas at least. Trying to go cheap in student debt as well. Worst case scenario I know I have to re take the DAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I will keep in mind about the LoR, Yeah I wish I could apply to more schools but my wife is in nursing school and we do not want to increase our debt, and especially leaving her so I gotta stay in Texas at least. Trying to go cheap in student debt as well. Worst case scenario I know I have to re take the DAT.
Keep in mind that if you retake that will be your third (last one before petitioning) attempt, so if you don’t end up getting in and need to retake, you really want to make sure you knock it out of the park.

But I can understand wanting to remain in the state with your wife. Hoping for the best for you this cycle

What feedback have you gotten from your HDA contacts? The DAT is low, but schools that really value how you might help them fulfill their mission to the Latinx community might keep your file in play. No guarantees but who knows.

What feedback have you gotten from your HDA contacts? The DAT is low, but schools that really value how you might help them fulfill their mission to the Latinx community might keep your file in play. No guarantees but who knows.
They have said that I have a good chance because of the rest of my app, it’s just my low DAT 😞. I think I have even a little bit more of chance at UTHSCSA because of my connections. I may look interesting for El Paso because I speak Spanish fluently/native. But like you said who knows I feel like I have 50/50 chance for Texas. I have used their website TMDSAS to see how many people got in with my similar stats and there is a small amount and I feel hopeful that I could be the lucky one for this cycle.

Edit: I really studied a lot and I felt very confident to get at least 21. I was scoring 20 and my max was 22. I was very disappointed, my bio questions were super different from my prep (Booster and bootcamp). Anyways best of luck to you and thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind that if you retake that will be your third (last one before petitioning) attempt, so if you don’t end up getting in and need to retake, you really want to make sure you knock it out of the park.

But I can understand wanting to remain in the state with your wife. Hoping for the best for you this cycle

Luckily I got an interview at San Antonio in two weeks, light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 1 user