WAMC - Non-trad first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahar001

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I'm a non-traditional student applying for the first time.

My plan in college was to become a chemist for the Air Force, but the Air Force had other plans for me as a program manager. Even though program management wasn't my cup of tea, I'm much more confident in what I want in my professional life because of it, and I really tried to highlight my leadership experience and non-technical skills in my application. And the veterinary experience I've gained since getting out of the Air Force this past July has been great to confirm that this is the right path for me.

But here goes -

I have a BS in chemistry from UMN CO 2017 and an MS in pharm/tox from MSU CO 2021.
Cumulative GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.49
Last 45: 3.96

I have ~13,000 hours of non-veterinary employment. Four assignments in the Air Force as a program manager, and some as a CNA between high school and college.

I did a ton of extracurricular activities in undergrad but pretty much all Air Force ROTC related. More recently I was also in a pre-vet club. Total of 903 hours.

I volunteered at a pharmacy in college and also through the red cross. Total of 346 hours.

When I became interested in vet med, I started volunteering at an animal shelter (small animal + equine) and a farm sanctuary (farm animal + equine). Total of 326 hours.

And finally after I separated from the military this July, I started shadowing at a small animal vet clinic, where they've also let me fill in as a vet assistant. Total of 203 hours.

LORs
- 1 vet. She's amazing, and I know she's going to write me a great rec.
- 1 USAF supervisor. We worked on a difficult project together and really got to know each other.
- 1 genetics professor. I only had her for one semester, but I did super well in the class, went to office hours, participated in lecture, etc.
- 2 volunteer coordinators from the humane society and farm sanctuary. Additional character references.

I'm applying to Arizona, Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio (my IS), Oregon, and Virgina/Maryland.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you look through the accepted applicant thread, you will see lots of people with military experience like yours who have gotten in. It seems to be a selling point.
However, your vet hours are well below average. Have you checked to make sure you meet the minimum hours at all the schools you are applying to?
If you do not get in this cycle, don't be discouraged. You will then have a year to get LOTS of vet experience, and with a year of hours you will most certainly be a competitive applicant.

Reactions: 1 users