WAMC 23-24 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanutisacat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would hope your home team at Columbia could pull you through. Talk to their admissions team.

Do you think I should start by asking the doctor I’ve worked with if there’s anyone on the admission team that he might know? Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: 23-24 cycle
Overall GPA: 3.74 (undergrad)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 26AA/27TS/25PAT
State of Residence: international

Undergrad Attended: nyu
Major: bio
Minor: math
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, I’m doing my master’s in biostatistics at columbia. Chose this major because I don’t want dental school to be too practical. I want to get involved in dental research and integrate data science into dentistry

Shadowing Experience: 100hrs shadow general dentist, 100hrs shadow omfs
Volunteering Experience: 200hrs as bedside volunteer at a children’s hospital
Employment: bio lab TA for 2 years, part-time dental assistant (July2022-Now, 200hrs maybe?)
Research: 1.5yrs as RA in a bioengineering lab and studied CAR-T cell growth in microfluidic device; no pub, 1 school poster; soon will have dentistry-related research in grad school
Other Extracurriculars: 0.5yr as treasurer and 1yr as president in school prehealth club
Relevant Honors or Awards: dean’s list for 4 years

LOR type and strength: 2 science profs, 1 lab PI, 1 strong rec from Columbia dentist and prof
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: nah
School list: NYU, stony brook, u of Michigan, USC, UCLA, BU, Temple, UPenn, CWRU, UCSF, Tufts, Columbia (my top 1🥹), harvard (most likely a waste of $$)

Are there any schools that I can add to the list?
take off NYU and USC...

Can I ask why?
VERY expensive, huge class sizes, your stats are way above their averages, although being international limits your choices, so you may want to leave them...

Reactions: 1 user
VERY expensive, huge class sizes, your stats are way above their averages, although being international limits your choices, so you may want to leave them...

Got it! I added nyu because they take lots of internationals each year and I also graduated from there, so I thought it might be a “safe” school for me. Thanks for the advice ^^!

Got it! I added nyu because they take lots of internationals each year and I also graduated from there, so I thought it might be a “safe” school for me. Thanks for the advice ^^!
Yeah safe school for sure, but with your stats you have a good chance of getting somewhere better. I’d remove USC and keep NYU

Reactions: 1 users
have you researched all the international friendly schools?

Not super important but where are you from? Canadians are probably the largest international group for applicants. Not super important but if Canadian, a lot of the boarder schools are Canadian friendly.

I’m from China so I guess not an advantage when it comes to applying to dental schools lol

I was accepted to Columbia this cycle and planning to attend! You’ve got a great chance with your stats, especially since Columbia likes high DAT scores. The only concern is your international student status as there are very few spots for Columbia. There were 3 or 4 international students in my interview so there’s definitely hope!

Do you think I should start by asking the doctor I’ve worked with if there’s anyone on the admission team that he might know? Thanks for the advice!
You could just go to the admissions office and say hello. If your PI knows any faculty who may be mentoring international dental students like you, maybe.