Wake Forest Scutwork.com Review true??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delirioustreat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate perspective from Wake Forest folks about the most recent Scutwork.com review (2009), stating that "This program has a pervasive malignant culture" and "Residents are stuck-up, gossip, condescending attitude, make students do scut work, rigid hierarchy."

:confused::confused: Is this information accurate? I am considering ranking this program so would love to hear from those with insider information... THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for Wake Forest itself, but I personally wouldn't put any weight on what is said on websites like that. Usually it's one resident who had a bad experience there for whatever reason. When you interviewed there did you get the sense that the residents were happy? That's what I would go by.

I kind of doubt it's true. From what you quoted it sounds like someone who is disgruntled rather than actually describing any real systemic problems.

I didn't interview at Wake for residency by I did for fellowship and they were competing for the number two spot on my list. I liked so much about it.

I know someone there, an M4 (not applying for IM though), let me see if he'll respond to you. I'll have him PM me and then I'll PM you to maintain his anonymity. Cool?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not true..I don't know where the 'rigid hierarchy' comment came from.. all the attendings that I have interacted with on the wards have been genuinely nice and listen to the plans that the student's and the interns present. I also don't know where the scut work comment came from because the IM department is actually pretty strict about assigning scut work to med students and the most 'scut work' that I saw med students do was call to make appointments (which I don't think of as scut anyways..) I wouldn't put much stock into the comment. I won't say that I love all the residents but for the most part they are a great bunch and get along well with each other. PM me if you have specific questions.

from my buddy at wake

IMO, that sentiment is extremely inaccurate. All the residents were very pleasant and easy to work with. They were willing to help students and appreciated help from students. I was never asked to do scut work of any kind, and we were actually told at the beginning of the rotation that we were not expected to do any scut work. We were there to learn, not do busy work. (Of course if you want to help and had nothing better to do, have at it!)

The IM program at Wake is great. Obviously, I'm biased, but I have no reason to give it poor marks when it comes to the residents there. In general, Wake is a very friendly environment, and that is generally well known. I expect that quote is just from a very disgruntled person. :)

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this topic. Thanks for looking into it for me and clearing up the "bad review." I certainly agree about not following one review but thought it would be best to ask about it since the review came out so recently and had such strong sentiments.

Thanks!!!!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this topic. Thanks for looking into it for me and clearing up the "bad review." I certainly agree about not following one review but thought it would be best to ask about it since the review came out so recently and had such strong sentiments.

Thanks!!!!

I know nothing specific about WFU but that review reads like it was from a MS3 who hated his/her clerkship, not a resident with any actual experience in the program.

I can't speak for Wake Forest itself, but I personally wouldn't put any weight on what is said on websites like that. Usually it's one resident who had a bad experience there for whatever reason. When you interviewed there did you get the sense that the residents were happy? That's what I would go by.

The thing that I get concerned about is the fact the generally the happy residents are the ones that come to interview dinner/lunches. Has anyone else experienced this at their home institutions?