Georgetown and Wake IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deecee2DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but I am reading on Frieda that Gtown and Wake IM have avg Step 1 score is >245? I honestly am floored. I thought these programs were decent/mid tier programs but honestly is this figure accurate?

Members don't see this ad.

I know do students who got 260s and got ghosted from wake

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its not that crazy for a solid mid-tier IM residency to have an average step 1 in the 240 range. I am from a similar tier residency as Georgetown on the east coast and my class average step 1 is 243.

I knew top tier IM was super competitive but didnt realize how competitive mid tier is
I'm going through the process now as a DO, and even mid tier programs are competitive. I think I'm a strong applicant, and I've been ghosted by so many programs I thought I had a chance at. For example, I got ghosted by Georgetown and waitlisted at Wake haha

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

I'm going through the process now as a DO, and even mid tier programs are competitive. I think I'm a strong applicant, and I've been ghosted by so many programs I thought I had a chance at. For example, I got ghosted by Georgetown and waitlisted at Wake haha

Wow ok what was your Step 1 score if you dont mind asking 230+ 240+ 250+? And do you have research? any pubs?

Last edited:
What differentiate from a resident at top tier program vs a mid tier isn't always step score. Everyone who applied to top tier residency presumably all had decent steps ie 245+ but those who actually end up interview and matched there usually have differentiated themselves with pedigree (245 from harvard/yale vs a 245 from a no name med school), research and AOA.

with regard to DO applicants, most programs in the mid-tier territory will typically have a quota for DO residents and from a specific school, ie 1-2 per year and will typically only interview DO applicants from the same DO school they are familar with.

with regard to DO applicants, most programs in the mid-tier territory will typically have a quota for DO residents and from a specific school, ie 1-2 per year and will typically only interview DO applicants from the same DO school they are familar with.
Ahh ok well my school has never matched at GTown so i guess that works against me. GTown takes like 3 per year so Ive seen. One person from my school matched Wake IM back in 2012 so idk if that works against me as well because we havent matched anyone there since

If step score wont really help you stand out as a DO student then what would if you dont go to a school where they consistently match into the program youre looking to go to

Wow ok what was your Step 1 score if you dont mind asking 230+ 240+ 250+? And do you have research? any pubs?
250+ for step 1 and 2 with 25 publications/abstracts during med school. The above posters are correct that there are certain factors that you just can't compensate for as a DO like school prestige and AOA. I've realized that you just got to do your best and look at programs that have taken DOs before.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s better to look into schools that take DOs. I tossed out a decent amount of apps and a lot of programs (including wake) didn’t bite back. Same with a few others in my class who have excellent board scores and letters and rest of app. But we all got inv at places that were just as good albeit more DO friendly. Because a program doesn’t take DOs doesn’t mean it’s better, just means they like what they already get and don’t want to take DOs which is perfectly fine.
There is a DO bias which we know going to DO schools so even us 260+ers can’t make up for it. A lot of places 230 MD > 260 DO. just how it is.
I didn’t do any aways just for reference.

you don’t have to go to a fancy place to get top training or get a fellowship. Most of the Ivy League places are more for research anyway so unless you want to do hardcore research you will get equivalent clinical training at regular state schools and probably have a lower cost of living depending on area

If step score wont really help you stand out as a DO student then what would if you dont go to a school where they consistently match into the program youre looking to go to
You can try to do aways but don’t expect to match into non DO friendly places. It does happen but it’s not the norm

Thank you guys for the responses and advice. If they take DOs at all does that mean they are DO friendly or when you say DO friendly you mean literally 50/50 DO/MD? GTown Wake and Dartmouth do have DOs just not a lot of DOs so I am guessing not DO friendly? I just want to have really strong clinical training and want to match University IM as do ya'll so I just want to get advice from those ahead of me that have similar interests and have gone through or currently are going through it all like you guys

Thank you guys for the responses and advice. If they take DOs at all does that mean they are DO friendly or when you say DO friendly you mean literally 50/50 DO/MD? GTown Wake and Dartmouth do have DOs just not a lot of DOs so I am guessing not DO friendly? I just want to have really strong clinical training and want to match University IM as do ya'll so I just want to get advice from those ahead of me that have similar interests and have gone through or currently are going through it all like you guys

Not 50/50 but if there are a few every year, then I would say that is DO friendly in that they will at least look at the application...whether they gave the same criteria for US seniors vs DO is another thing altogether.

Last edited:
250+ for step 1 and 2 with 25 publications/abstracts during med school. The above posters are correct that there are certain factors that you just can't compensate for as a DO like school prestige and AOA. I've realized that you just got to do your best and look at programs that have taken DOs before.

Damn thats an impressive app lol did you apply to any top tier programs without any current DOs (hopkins, MGH etc) or you applied to strictly mid and low tier DO friendly uni IM