Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All! I'm new to the thread but am also interviewing at Wake on Monday. I'm a bit nervous, but I've also heard from friends who were accepted that the interview is more laid back. I hope this is the case! I'm wondering if any one has any interview tips as this will be my first real interview. I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Former post-bac here and now MS1 at Wake. :)

Just wanted to wish you all luck on your interview. I am really excited for you. The interviews (2) are pretty laid back. Standard questions from your personal statement.

They just want to get to know the real you and meet the person from the personal statement come to life. So, my best advice is to relax, smile, and be honest. (I'm serious... the interviews are not bad at all.)

I expect to meet most of you during the luncheon after your interviews.
Any questions before and after... feel free to contact me. If I don't respond until this weekend, it's because I have an exam Friday morning.

Back to the books!

Best of luck!

-Jenn

eek! the interview is on monday! so excited and soooo nervous! Any tips on how to prep for it? And anyone know how many students will be interviewing this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
eek! the interview is on monday! so excited and soooo nervous! Any tips on how to prep for it? And anyone know how many students will be interviewing this year?

Apparently the general consensus is to just relax because they want to get to know you. And from the looks of the airport rides email, it looks like there are 25.

10/25 = 40% shot That's preeeeeety durn good. :D

2 interviews... about 15-20 minutes each.
Very LOW STRESS. Try not to worry about it. It's not that bad.

Just read over your personal statement, because that's pretty much all they'll have to start a conversation off with you.

Have a safe trip to Winston-Salem. :)

See you Monday!!!

Last edited:
Anyone making it to the 6 pm schindig ..can u plz post any info that was shared here for those of us who can't make it? Thanx a bunch

I hope ALL of you guys got back home safe after the interview!

Wow, I dunno about you but I felt a tad bit intimidated ..EVERY interviewee was so impressive! :eek:

I guess, all we can do is wait ..Does anybody know when we should be finding out? :xf:

Yeah, I don't envy the decision that the committee has to make. Of course they'll make the right decision for them...I just hope I'm included.

I believe Dr. Latham-Sadler alluded to it taking about a month (but she also stated that sometimes it doesn't work out because sometimes the adcom, which also has a say, can't meet in a timely fashion). But all the students I spoke to said it took about a month.

Good luck, everyone!!

Hmmmm, where's that tumbleweed emoticon when you need it? :p

I'm trying sooooooooooooo hard not to fall in love with this school, but the more I read, the more I like, the more I WANT!!!! I'm gonna be bummed if I don't get it.

I really have to get my mind off this until the mail comes, because it's going to drive me crazy and bum me out even harder if I read and I read and I read and I don't get in. Ugh, what A horrible thought!!!

Positive thinking does wonders, I've heard, so here goes!! :luck: :xf: :luck: :xf:

Hmmmm, where's that tumbleweed emoticon when you need it? :p

I'm trying sooooooooooooo hard not to fall in love with this school, but the more I read, the more I like, the more I WANT!!!! I'm gonna be bummed if I don't get it.

I really have to get my mind off this until the mail comes, because it's going to drive me crazy and bum me out even harder if I read and I read and I read and I don't get in. Ugh, what A horrible thought!!!

Positive thinking does wonders, I've heard, so here goes!! :luck: :xf: :luck: :xf:

When do you think the letters might start being sent out? First week in May?

When do you think the letters might start being sent out? First week in May?

You interviewed here? All of your posts have been in the Meharry thread.

All the same, I believe we will hear by mid-May. Previous years said they got their letters the first week of May, but they also claimed that they interviewed the first week of April. So a month from when we interviewed, perhaps.

You interviewed here? All of your posts have been in the Meharry thread.

All the same, I believe we will hear by mid-May. Previous years said they got their letters the first week of May, but they also claimed that they interviewed the first week of April. So a month from when we interviewed, perhaps.

Oh yeah you're the mean one from the Meharry thread. Yes I interviewed here. Nice to meet you. Hopefully we get good news from them come mid-May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah you're the mean one from the Meharry thread. Yes I interviewed here. Nice to meet you. Hopefully we get good news from them come mid-May.

Wow, the "mean" one? Ok, I'll take it. Whatever helps you sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Wow, the "mean" one? Ok, I'll take it. Whatever helps you sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Okay sorry, "one of the mean ones" there were a few of you all. These Lakers winning will help me sleep tonight, thanks anyway though:smuggrin:

Check the Meharry thread. That's where my "meanness" came out.:whistle:

does anyone in here have some photos of the wake campus they wanna share. i've heard its gorgeous and i wouldve been really interested in going to undergrad there had they accepted the ACT.

does anyone in here have some photos of the wake campus they wanna share. i've heard its gorgeous and i wouldve been really interested in going to undergrad there had they accepted the ACT.
the med school isnt on the undergraduate campus...im sure you can find plenty of pics on their website though

the med school isnt on the undergraduate campus...im sure you can find plenty of pics on their website though

oh didn't know that. but i was hoping someone had taken some shots themselves. doesn't matter

I have a question for any past post-baccers who might care to answer.

There have been statements made that post-baccers are routinely in the top 1/3 of their med school class. I wonder...does that translate throughout all four years? Or is that just the first year?

Hey..I am interested in the WFU post bacc program and have done a bit of reading. My stats are a 3.08 GPA and I'm anticipiating a 30+ MCAT..the higher the better.

Anyway, I want to apply to wake forest because I've always wanted to go there for medical school, and I have some questions:

A) I am not an URM..in fact, I am Indian. will this hurt my chances of getting in since I am in fact the opposite of what they're looking for?

B) The website states: "Admission to the Wake Forest University School of Medicine following successful completion of the program with an overall (B) average, meeting all program requirements and successful application process." as one of it's advantages for going to that program. Does this mean if you come out with a GPA higher than 3.0, you get into their med school? Or is the "catch" the part where it says "...meeting all program requirements and successful application process."....that bolded part seems like it would just be like applying to any other med school..

Anyway, I appreciate any help you have to offer. Thanks!

Hey..I am interested in the WFU post bacc program and have done a bit of reading. My stats are a 3.08 GPA and I'm anticipiating a 30+ MCAT..the higher the better.

Anyway, I want to apply to wake forest because I've always wanted to go there for medical school, and I have some questions:

A) I am not an URM..in fact, I am Indian. will this hurt my chances of getting in since I am in fact the opposite of what they're looking for?

B) The website states: "Admission to the Wake Forest University School of Medicine following successful completion of the program with an overall (B) average, meeting all program requirements and successful application process." as one of it's advantages for going to that program. Does this mean if you come out with a GPA higher than 3.0, you get into their med school? Or is the "catch" the part where it says "...meeting all program requirements and successful application process."....that bolded part seems like it would just be like applying to any other med school..

Anyway, I appreciate any help you have to offer. Thanks!

There are White people, Black people, Hispanics, Latinos, etc, etc. I'll admit that none of the people I met were Chinese, or Indian, or Korean, but it doesn't mean they haven't been through the program. This program is not just for URM, it is for socailly/economically disadvantaged students. You will need to demonstrate/explain how you meet that criteria, both on the AMCAS and the post-baccalaureate application.

As for the successful application process, you will have to formally re-apply to the medical program while you are in the post-baccalaureate program. You are free (and encouraged) to apply to other schools during this time, but you do not have to. You will do the AMCAS over, but the fee is waived for WFUSM, and you will need to schedule an interview and do the tour (i.e., go through the motions that you would for any other medical program). The difference is that your spot is waiting for you on the other side. The other 110 spots are open to the rest of the country, but the spot you held in the post-bac program will transfer into a seat in the medical school provided you do not screw up your interview.

I know this was way long and drawn out, but I love this thread. Go Wake!

to add to that there were two asian (not sure if they were chinese) people there. Also, there were people who were philipino, ghanian, and i think ethiopian! So you should mos def apply...

I have a question for any past post-baccers who might care to answer.

There have been statements made that post-baccers are routinely in the top 1/3 of their med school class. I wonder...does that translate throughout all four years? Or is that just the first year?
umm im not sure if it translates to all four years...from what I am thinking it is most likely in the first 1-2 years since you already have that material in your post bacc year...they didnt really give any stats about after that and that guy who was a third year never really said anything about that either

to add to that there were two asian (not sure if they were chinese) people there. Also, there were people who were philipino, ghanian, and i think ethiopian! So you should mos def apply...

Applicants, not post-bacs, prito. And they we're Chinese. Last names tell me that one was Vietnamese. But I digress...:oops:

Applicants, not post-bacs, prito. And they we're Chinese. Last names tell me that one was Vietnamese. But I digress...:oops:
I was simply stating that those nationalities were there to show that they are considering all races not just URM. Even though they may not get into the program they still made it far in the selection process. Which is why I believe the that person should apply. Maybe I should have clarified myself...

I was simply stating that those nationalities were there to show that they are considering all races not just URM. Even though they may not get into the program they still made it far in the selection process. Which is why I believe the that person should apply. Maybe I should have clarified myself...

No need to get defensive. I was merely clarifying between where those people stood in the grand scheme. Though they were being considered there's a difference between being considered and being accepted. And their disadvantaged status may have been the factor that put them into consideration as well. That's something we don't know, but something that makes a difference, especially if pritomd cannot qualify based on those two criteria (URM, disadvantaged).

No need to get defensive. I was merely clarifying between where those people stood in the grand scheme. Though they were being considered there's a difference between being considered and being accepted. And their disadvantaged status may have been the factor that put them into consideration as well. That's something we don't know, but something that makes a difference, especially if pritomd cannot qualify based on those two criteria (URM, disadvantaged).
no worries i wasnt getting defensive....i just realized what i wrote wasnt really clear and could be taken dif ways...i didnt want to confuse anyone

. This program is not just for URM, it is for socailly/economically disadvantaged students. You will need to demonstrate/explain how you meet that criteria, both on the AMCAS and the post-baccalaureate application.

Hmm, is this program not for me? I don't really see myself as disadvantaged (in their criteria) and I feel I'd have a hard time justifying applying to their program..mainly because I want to attend Wake Forest..do they really stress that really hard?

Hmm, is this program not for me? I don't really see myself as disadvantaged (in their criteria) and I feel I'd have a hard time justifying applying to their program..mainly because I want to attend Wake Forest..do they really stress that really hard?

I can't speak for you or for the committee at Wake Forest. I don't know what they look for or what they stress most. Who's to say that (despite your submitting an application that might not meet the stated criteria) they won't see something in your application that urges them to send you a secondary or invite you to interview?

All you can do is apply and see. Who knows? You may have luck with the regular MD program. You may score with the post-bac program. I thought I didn't have a chance, for how late I submitted my application, and I got an interview. Nothing beats a trial but a failure. :luck:

lovemesomeTJ . . .Hmm, interesting.

Last edited:
lovemesomeTJ . . . starting trouble in here as well I see. Hmm, interesting.

This post has got to be the most informational, contributory piece I've seen thus far in all my (lurking and non) years with SDN. Bravo.

I want to apologize right now to the masses who are currently reading this thread or will be reading this in the future. If I have offended you, or said something inappropriate, then I apologize for that. In my postings I've tried to be informative, and tried to explore different angles of a situation and unfortunately, in the age of technology, inflection in voice and therefore intent get lost. Clearly I'm doing things all wrong, so if any of you have any suggestions feel free to shoot me a PM.

I won't be posting whether or not I was accepted, in order to make a fresh start should I be so fortunate to encounter DrPhee (or anyone else who I've irked) at Wake Forest. Wishing you all the best,

TJ

This post has got to be the most informational, contributory piece I've seen thus far in all my (lurking and non) years with SDN. Bravo.

I want to apologize right now to the masses who are currently reading this thread or will be reading this in the future. If I have offended you, or said something inappropriate, then I apologize for that. In my postings I've tried to be informative, and tried to explore different angles of a situation and unfortunately, in the age of technology, inflection in voice and therefore intent get lost. Clearly I'm doing things all wrong, so if any of you have any suggestions feel free to shoot me a PM.

I won't be posting whether or not I was accepted, in order to make a fresh start should I be so fortunate to encounter DrPhee (or anyone else who I've irked) at Wake Forest. Wishing you all the best,

TJ
No need to apologize to anyone...just keep being you.

So it is May tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'll be tied into a Program in the mid-West if I don't hear back from Wake by mid-May AT THE LATEST ..I just want to find out! :confused:

Congratulations on having another option, though!! Your other program starts mid-May??? Caaa-rrrrrraaaaaazy! :eek:

Gosh, I still think about it....10 spots...26 interviewees...better odds than some, but still really nerve wracking.

Congratulations on having another option, though!! Your other program starts mid-May??? Caaa-rrrrrraaaaaazy! :eek:

Gosh, I still think about it....10 spots...26 interviewees...better odds than some, but still really nerve wracking.

Thanks TJ, I really can't complain because I do have an alternative that is good in it's own right, but it doesn't stack up to Wake.
..And mine starts first week in June, that revelation probably gives it away! :p

The wait is over.
Good luck everyone!!!

so has anyone spoken with ms dockery lately to find out whats what? this forum is a little more passive than some others..so im just wondering has anyone heard anything...i know nyu mentioned that the wait is over but that was monday...

Nothing in the mail today...maybe it was a false alarm? Nyu hasn't come back to comment. :(