Waitlisted, Next Steps, Re-Apply or What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaseFootBall

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I applied this cycle with low stats, working with a 3.1 GPA and 508 MCAT. Wasn't expecting a whole lot of success but thought DO would go my way. Instead I received 2 MD II's, was just rejected at one school and still have yet to hear back from the other but thinking its a rejection at this point since its been 3-4 months. Both of the MDs were in state for me. My last interview was at a DO school and the only DO interview I received but have since been waitlisted. As February is approaching it's time to start working/thinking of a plan B. I took a gap year to scribe right now so graduated my undergrad in 2019 last year. I have all the ECs I needed I believe with plenty of research, volunteering, shadowing, and orgs at a top public university. It really looks like the main thing holding me back this cycle is my GPA which was expected. My question is, should I pursue a masters? Post Bacc? SMP? just say screw it and head to St. Georges? I really do not want to spend an additional 2 years doing a masters and re-applying but I know i can do well I just had poor study habits in undergrad and have since matured a ton, just again do not want to delay this already incredibly long process. Really feeling quite lost at this point and would love some guidance and advice , thank you. PS. if you guys do know of good Post Bacc and masters program please let me know, MI is my state of residence btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you study in undergrad? did you have an upward trend?

Studied Microbio, and a slight upward trend but nothing significant, definitely not downwards

Members don't see this ad :)
Which DO schools did you apply to ? Where is your state of residence ?
Applied very broadly probably 15-20 schools and submitted all by early June. MI resident

Hey Everyone, I applied this cycle with low stats, working with a 3.1 GPA and 508 MCAT. Wasn't expecting a whole lot of success but thought DO would go my way. Instead I received 2 MD II's, was just rejected at one school and still have yet to hear back from the other but thinking its a rejection at this point since its been 3-4 months. Both of the MDs were in state for me. My last interview was at a DO school and the only DO interview I received but have since been waitlisted. As February is approaching it's time to start working/thinking of a plan B. I took a gap year to scribe right now so graduated my undergrad in 2019 last year. I have all the ECs I needed I believe with plenty of research, volunteering, shadowing, and orgs at a top public university. It really looks like the main thing holding me back this cycle is my GPA which was expected. My question is, should I pursue a masters? Post Bacc? SMP? just say screw it and head to St. Georges? I really do not want to spend an additional 2 years doing a masters and re-applying but I know i can do well I just had poor study habits in undergrad and have since matured a ton, just again do not want to delay this already incredibly long process. Really feeling quite lost at this point and would love some guidance and advice , thank you. PS. if you guys do know of good Post Bacc and masters program please let me know, MI is my state of residence btw.
Don't even think about going Carib. That slobbering sound you hear off in the background is them slavering at the thought of another desperate mark.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the MD schools saw in you? A 3.1 GPA, unless accompanied by a massive rising GPA trend, is typically lethal for MD and only 'meh' for DO.

You don't need two years in a masters. Read this:

Don't even think about going Carib. That slobbering sound you hear off in the background is them slavering at the thought of another desperate mark.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the MD schools saw in you? A 3.1 GPA, unless accompanied by a massive rising GPA trend, is typically lethal for MD and only 'meh' for DO.

You don't need two years in a masters. Read this:
Ive read that re-invention post thank you and very helpful but since apps re-open in May, my GPA would still remain the exact same so would I not be able to re-apply until May 2021 correct? assuming I did well in my post-bacc or SMP.

And as for the 2 MD schools interviewing me but only 1 DO school, I really wish I knew why. Could be maybe my mission fit? I am strongly interested in rural med and the 2 MD schools are largely focused on that but besides ECs and my essays really confused, thought I would at least see a few more DO interviews this cycle.

And as for the Carib I've seen the horror stories and the attrition rates. But SGU is posting a decent match list, something like 700 residencies a year matched into, something about it seems too good to be true but they are open to reaching out to alumni and I've talked to a few in residencies now and they all have said it isn't all that bad. Not sure if its just that marketing though. Match lists to me look very comparable to low MDs and most DO schools, what do people think?

Ive read that re-invention post thank you and very helpful but since apps re-open in May, my GPA would still remain the exact same so would I not be able to re-apply until May 2021 correct? assuming I did well in my post-bacc or SMP.

And as for the 2 MD schools interviewing me but only 1 DO school, I really wish I knew why. Could be maybe my mission fit? I am strongly interested in rural med and the 2 MD schools are largely focused on that but besides ECs and my essays really confused, thought I would at least see a few more DO interviews this cycle.

And as for the Carib I've seen the horror stories and the attrition rates. But SGU is posting a decent match list, something like 700 residencies a year matched into, something about it seems too good to be true but they are open to reaching out to alumni and I've talked to a few in residencies now and they all have said it isn't all that bad. Not sure if its just that marketing though. Match lists to me look very comparable to low MDs and most DO schools, what do people think?

My personal $0.02 on your situation is that you’re a strong enough candidate (with a little GPA repair, possibly) that you’ll get in somewhere in the US on your next cycle. SGU matches people into residencies, sure - but you owe it to yourself to have a better clinical education than an offshore school will ever be able to offer you. You’ll have better access to residencies in your field/area of choice as a US-trained physician as well.

If you’re truly all in for rural medicine, make this a focus of your next MD/DO cycle and make sure you have a cohesive story to tell with your essays, secondaries, and ECs. Go to the writing center at your undergraduate school to get feedback on your personal statements and secondaries. Get extra volunteering or clinical experience in rural areas if you have to. If you applied to CMU this cycle, see if they’ll give you feedback since their mission is to serve rural MI communities; they may have some good pointers for your next cycle. Next time, apply broadly to rural DO programs all across the country, 30 or more if you can afford it (and Michigan MDs - Wayne State loves an upward trend/high postbac GPA!) and I’m sure you’ll have success.

Sorry it may not work out this go around, but I believe in your ability to be a doctor. Please just try one more US cycle before you consider any predatory Caribbean school! (I’m really old myself so I understand your urgency to get this show on the road, but seriously, another year or two wait is worth it to have the best shot at the best training you can get. I promise.)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You should receive more DO interviews in the next 2 to 3 months. Let us know if no success by May.

Reactions: 2 users
My personal $0.02 on your situation is that you’re a strong enough candidate (with a little GPA repair, possibly) that you’ll get in somewhere in the US on your next cycle. SGU matches people into residencies, sure - but you owe it to yourself to have a better clinical education than an offshore school will ever be able to offer you. You’ll have better access to residencies in your field/area of choice as a US-trained physician as well.

If you’re truly all in for rural medicine, make this a focus of your next MD/DO cycle and make sure you have a cohesive story to tell with your essays, secondaries, and ECs. Go to the writing center at your undergraduate school to get feedback on your personal statements and secondaries. Get extra volunteering or clinical experience in rural areas if you have to. If you applied to CMU this cycle, see if they’ll give you feedback since their mission is to serve rural MI communities; they may have some good pointers for your next cycle. Next time, apply broadly to rural DO programs all across the country, 30 or more if you can afford it (and Michigan MDs - Wayne State loves an upward trend/high postbac GPA!) and I’m sure you’ll have success.

Sorry it may not work out this go around, but I believe in your ability to be a doctor. Please just try one more US cycle before you consider any predatory Caribbean school! (I’m really old myself so I understand your urgency to get this show on the road, but seriously, another year or two wait is worth it to have the best shot at the best training you can get. I promise.)
Appreciate the in depth response and encouragement! Definitely a lot to think about and as Faha just mentioned maybe a couple DO schools will give me a shot in the coming months or I'll come off of a wait list.

Yes, you would have to wait out one more cycle. This is a marathon now, not a sprint.

With a 3.1 GPA, you are frankly deluding yourself than you'll be one of those people who survive the SGU threshing machine. Their business model is to fail people out.

And the match list don't mention the fact that many of those residencies are malignant sweatshops, or are one year preliminaries where you have to go back into the match.

Take the time to do this right.

I would reapply DO as well as their corresponding SMPs(if you want to take the gamble). I had a similar GPA (granted I had a two years masters program of 3.9 GPA calculated into my final cGPA) and a 505 MCAT. What worked out for me was that I played the rural card to every DO I applied to (and my application showed it since I worked as an EMT in an underserved area and had a lot of volunteering with underserved populations in both clinical and non-clinical) and received a fair amount of interviews. As @JanetSnakehole stated and if you decide to GPA repair, definitely try to get experience with the undeserved and use that in every aspect of your cycle from PS, secondaries, and interviews. Good luck and don't go to the Carribean. I have a cousin who went that path and is a couple years removed from the school and is still looking for a residency and he recommended me not to go there. (No lie he said they would cut the power out intermittently because they purposefully try to make people fail).

Was just accepted off of a waitlist yesterday, thank you to everyone for the help and encouragement about possible back-ups, I will be a DOctor!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Was just accepted off of a waitlist yesterday, thank you to everyone for the help and encouragement about possible back-ups, I will be a DOctor!

Amazing news! Thanks for updating us. Congratulations future doctor!

• Love
I would reapply DO as well as their corresponding SMPs(if you want to take the gamble). I had a similar GPA (granted I had a two years masters program of 3.9 GPA calculated into my final cGPA) and a 505 MCAT. What worked out for me was that I played the rural card to every DO I applied to (and my application showed it since I worked as an EMT in an underserved area and had a lot of volunteering with underserved populations in both clinical and non-clinical) and received a fair amount of interviews. As @JanetSnakehole stated and if you decide to GPA repair, definitely try to get experience with the undeserved and use that in every aspect of your cycle from PS, secondaries, and interviews. Good luck and don't go to the Carribean. I have a cousin who went that path and is a couple years removed from the school and is still looking for a residency and he recommended me not to go there. (No lie he said they would cut the power out intermittently because they purposefully try to make people fail).
What? :laugh: I find it hard to believe they cut the power to make people fail. It is just part of money-saving or the fact that it is located in a poor country.

What? :laugh: I find it hard to believe they cut the power to make people fail. It is just part of money-saving or the fact that it is located in a poor country.
I mean they have nearly 1000 kids in each class. I am just relaying information from someone who went through a Caribbean school

I mean they have nearly 1000 kids in each class. I am just relaying information from someone who went through a Caribbean school
1000 kids lol? It is still funny how we are perceived as kids. I feel old so I am flattered actually.