Re-Apply MD or take DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoodleArm

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of other threads like this, but wanted to hear a fresh opinion.

I had two MD interviews this cycle, both WL. I spoke with admissions and they said the main issue was submission timing (submitted secondary by end of August for most schools) and lack of clinical experience (which I have gained in the past year). I also probably went a little top end on the school list, but they all fell within my stats. I'm also a non-trad, so I guess that is a plus but also has drawbacks.

Any and all opinions are helpful, I know there is no real difference between MD and DO, but the current school has extremely high cost of living.

Stats: 518/3.77 cGPA

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you apply to a school you have no interest in going to?

How I see it; you applied DO as a fallback plan if you didn't get an MD acceptance, it ended up you have to go to your fallback plan because you were rejected by MDs but have the grass is greener mentality right now.

No one can predict the future and you need to weigh the risks vs rewards of dropping a guarantee for a future gamble.

My vote is to drop the A and let someone who wants to be a doctor take it.

Reactions: 3 users
Getting into a DO school was one of the best days of my life. The memory of that day and how grateful I was for the opportunity was a huge part of getting through medical school…some of those weeks were extremely brutal. Not saying you aren’t grateful, just saying I went to school with some kids that had a chip on their shoulder about not getting into the MD program they wanted and it just makes those 4 years (and beyond I’d imagine) that much more difficult to get through.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
End August isn't "late" for secondaries, though a lack of clinical activity could certainly kill you. How could your list skew towards "top end" yet also include DO schools?

It's a tough call. Personally I think it depends on how good the DO school is, concretely how much has changed in your application since last year, and your state of residence.

Reactions: 1 users
End August isn't "late" for secondaries, though a lack of clinical activity could certainly kill you. How could your list skew towards "top end" yet also include DO schools?

It's a tough call. Personally I think it depends on how good the DO school is, concretely how much has changed in your application since last year, and your state of residence.

You are incorrect, it is late for many schools. Drop the DO and apply again this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
You are incorrect, it is late for many schools. Drop the DO and apply again this cycle.
Meh. It's not early, but the OP has 518/3.77 and got 2 interviews. Clearly his app got reviewed, he just wasn't good enough to get accepted.

I think we're ultimately saying the same thing because I do think it's reasonable to reapply, I just would hope that something else (seemingly his clinical experience) has materially changed since last year.

He is slightly above minimal acceptance criteria in this competitive market. OP needs to have a larger.and more diverse list of schools that fit stats. OP should add as much as possible to application before applying.

With that score, I think you could reapply if you're up for it and make sure to include a lot of low tier MD's + instate
But competition is really nuts right now. Even high stat ppl have trouble getting it.

So then make sure the other aspects of your app are good. Also the PS/essays matter a lot too.

I have seen a lot of other threads like this, but wanted to hear a fresh opinion.

I had two MD interviews this cycle, both WL. I spoke with admissions and they said the main issue was submission timing (submitted secondary by end of August for most schools) and lack of clinical experience (which I have gained in the past year). I also probably went a little top end on the school list, but they all fell within my stats. I'm also a non-trad, so I guess that is a plus but also has drawbacks.

Any and all opinions are helpful, I know there is no real difference between MD and DO, but the current school has extremely high cost of living.

So are you still on both waitlists? What did the schools tell you about your chances of making it off the list even as a last-minute acceptance (day of or week of orientation)?

• Care

If you applied to the DO program knowing what it entailed and are also intending of utilizing the additional training when seeing patients, then it would be more useful to take the acceptance you've been offered. The other option is to take an additional year to start medical school, pending you even get any acceptances the second time around. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

You have an acceptance to a DO school, which means you are guaranteed to matriculate. You don’t have a guarantee that if you reapply that you will get an acceptance to an MD school, no matter the stats, plus it’s another year delay before starting. MD vs DO for applying to residency: it all depends on what you do DURING medical school. Research, presentations, publications, leadership, meaningful service, good letters of recommendation (that come from working hard on rotations, showing interest, and being teachable), and good board scores (which, if you study, your MCAT shows you can do well on standardized tests). My advice: take the DO acceptance. Congrats on getting accepted to a medical school and having the opportunity to become a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
Turning down a sure acceptance in the hope that you might come off the wait list, or that you might do better next cycle is the worst mistake a pre-med can make.

But it's clear that you don't want to be a DO, so dump the accept and try again next year. Let someone else achieve thier dream now.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.