Waitlisted at X School - Chance of getting II from X School next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilemma33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.

I was waitlisted at X,Y schools this year, and I'm planning on reapplying to the same X,Y schools again this upcoming cycle. I am aware that the general consensus is to drastically improve your application before reapplying. However, when I called these X,Y school admissions to ask what I could do to improve my weaknesses that resulted in waitlists, they both told me that I am already competitive and I was simply beaten by the nature of competition. I thought my interview was the problem for both schools, but they said my interviews were fine and they don't seem to be the major problem. I'm not sure if they told me the truth, but I have a feeling they didn't tell me some of the stuff because they would rather keep some of the things confidential to avoid conflicts or potentially offend me.

Anyway, I've been continually working full-time at a clinic and performing research at a lab, so I didn't do anything drastically "new", other than adding a lot of additional hours to them. I re-wrote my PS from scratch, and I like it a lot better than my previous one.

How likely is it that these X, Y schools are going to re-interview me again next year? Are wait-listees in advantage/disadvantage in this case? or would they treat us the same as the first-time applicants?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I was waitlisted by my state school (twice) and they interviewed me each time I applied (three times total). So, from my experience, I think you stand a good chance of being interviewed by these schools again. They obviously liked you enough to strongly consider you for admission, which is no small thing.

I got involved with the admissions process at my school after I matriculated. After three years of waiting and wondering, I wanted to understand what actually happens on the other side. Based on what I learned there, I would trust what these schools have said to you. There are a lot of strong applicants to medical school, more good applicants than there are seats. Sometimes the decisions come down to choosing between people who (we think) will make really good doctors and people who will make really, really good doctors. The level of competition that I was up against was far higher than I had known, so I suspect that you are in a similar boat.

The important question here is what you have done over the past year to become more competitive for this process. An extra year of full time work in a clinic and research is likely to add significantly to your application. It shows dedication and commitment to medicine. How long have you been doing this? If it's been 5 or 10 years, then maybe this is not that helpful, but if you're fresh out of school, then it will count for a lot.

Lastly, if you have access to anyone who could help you prep for interviews, absolutely take advantage of them. Even if the schools thought you were a fine interviewee, you can always improve. In any case, you'll do better at any schools where you didn't interview last time.

My understanding is you have a high chance of receiving an interview there again.

I’ve seen it several times where reapplicant receive interviews at places that interviewed/waitlisted them in previous cycles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted by my state school (twice) and they interviewed me each time I applied (three times total). So, from my experience, I think you stand a good chance of being interviewed by these schools again. They obviously liked you enough to strongly consider you for admission, which is no small thing.

I got involved with the admissions process at my school after I matriculated. After three years of waiting and wondering, I wanted to understand what actually happens on the other side. Based on what I learned there, I would trust what these schools have said to you. There are a lot of strong applicants to medical school, more good applicants than there are seats. Sometimes the decisions come down to choosing between people who (we think) will make really good doctors and people who will make really, really good doctors. The level of competition that I was up against was far higher than I had known, so I suspect that you are in a similar boat.

The important question here is what you have done over the past year to become more competitive for this process. An extra year of full time work in a clinic and research is likely to add significantly to your application. It shows dedication and commitment to medicine. How long have you been doing this? If it's been 5 or 10 years, then maybe this is not that helpful, but if you're fresh out of school, then it will count for a lot.

Lastly, if you have access to anyone who could help you prep for interviews, absolutely take advantage of them. Even if the schools thought you were a fine interviewee, you can always improve. In any case, you'll do better at any schools where you didn't interview last time.

Thank you for your insight. So, you weren't able to gain an acceptance at any of the schools you've applied to for 2 cycles in a row? I'm in the same boat right now because this will be my 3rd time applying to med schools. I'm afraid that a lot of the schools, including the ones I was waitlisted at, are probably going to think that I was "unwanted" by every school for 2 years in a row, despite my relatively high stats. ADCOMs on SDN think that it raises a red flag to see someone with above average stats and experience not getting into a single school for a couple cycles. It hurts my feeling to hear statements like this, but I can definitely see where they're coming from. I just hope that these schools think that I'm very committed and persistent.

And I've continually been working full time at a clinic and conducting research since I submitted my 2nd application, so I've somewhat been "improving" my application. I graduated in May 2017, so this year will be my 2nd gap year out of school.

I've come to a conclusion that a lot of luck is involved in this process, and I shouldn't weigh every ounce of happiness into this application process. These past 2 years were tough and it took some time for me to have a healthy mindset.

My understanding is you have a high chance of receiving an interview there again.

I’ve seen it several times where reapplicant receive interviews at places that interviewed/waitlisted them in previous cycles.
Were they state schools? or high tier schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.