Waiting to do a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indoflip

Whats your question?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is all this talk about doing a residency immediately after graduating, but has anyone heard of anyone doing a residency after taking a year off to work community/hospital?

Does that place you at a disadvantage somehow just because you hold off one year? Yes, I realize the knowledge is more fresh straight out of school and going from salary to stipend may be hard on some, but other than that, is that a bad thing or an undesirable thing for most residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

indoflip said:
There is all this talk about doing a residency immediately after graduating, but has anyone heard of anyone doing a residency after taking a year off to work community/hospital?

Does that place you at a disadvantage somehow just because you hold off one year? Yes, I realize the knowledge is more fresh straight out of school and going from salary to stipend may be hard on some, but other than that, is that a bad thing or an undesirable thing for most residency programs?

i dont think you will be at disadvantage, but i think that is still doable. however, it is very hard for someone to make close to $90,000 and than go down 1/3 on your salary. but i think residency is essential these days. think about it, everyone gets out of here with PharmD what are you going to differenciate from others? residency is one route to take.

It is difficult to go from a full salary to basically a third of that, but some people just want to work and take their minds of things for a year or two before jumping back into residency. We had a graduate come out and talk to us about how he graduated, worked for one year at a hospital pharmacy as a pharmacist, and then decided to pursue his PhD. It's not that he didn't enjoy working at the hospital, but he just needed a year to clear his head and really figure out if he wanted to do a residency or go for the PhD, and working gave him time to make his decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is, if you think the profession is going in that direction....

kwakster928 said:
i dont think you will be at disadvantage, but i think that is still doable. however, it is very hard for someone to make close to $90,000 and than go down 1/3 on your salary. but i think residency is essential these days. think about it, everyone gets out of here with PharmD what are you going to differenciate from others? residency is one route to take.

lord999 said:
That is, if you think the profession is going in that direction....

Yeah, it's all a matter of opinion where the profession is headed and so you should skew your training and experience towards that direction. I, for one, agree with Kwakster though that a residency is becoming a much more lucrative option for many PharmD grads and I am also heavily considering it. Though I am very attracted to working in the hospital pharmacy environment and the residency is an obvious plus for that direction.

I too am considering a residency

As one of our ASHP events we just had a residency roundtable, where we had local residents come and answer students questions.

One of the residents had taken a couple years off, then decided to do a residency. It actually worked out great for her, b/c she got to know everyone at the hospital she was working at, and then was a shoe in for the residency spot when it became available...

As more ppl do residencies (this is personally where i think things are going), I think there will be more ppl deciding, after working, that they want to do a residency.

For me, the motivation to do it right after graduation is that everything (hopefully) will still be "fresh in my head" from the licensing exam, and I wont have gotten used to a "flush" salary. (ie i'll still be used to living like a poor grad student so the salary wont matter) plus i know i'm getting tired of school and exhausted and want to "push on through" rather than go back later