Navy Waiting for EMDP2 Navy Selection Board Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know, I’m just anxious planning around a family and my husband and my PRD. The detailers don’t know what to do with us either lol

Trust me, I feel you. The selection message came out the last couple days in May, and we didn’t get orders until the end of June—less than a month before we needed to report. And that’s nothing compared to cohort 1. They found out like 2 weeks before classes started.

I’m praying you guys have more time.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, the timeline can be somewhat less than desirable. I just would love if they would let people know if they were IN or OUT after the first board (i.e., December) because then we could at least get on with our lives OR continue with the anxiety of waiting! LOL Anyway, best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, the timeline can be somewhat less than desirable. I just would love if they would let people know if they were IN or OUT after the first board (i.e., December) because then we could at least get on with our lives OR continue with the anxiety of waiting! LOL Anyway, best of luck to everyone!

Ha, I know. It's like, if you're in the top 10, at least you have a shot. If they didn't even send your packet to USUHS, you're done, but you still won't know for another three months lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, I know. It's like, if you're in the top 10, at least you have a shot. If they didn't even send your packet to USUHS, you're done, but you still won't know for another three months lol.
I know it that would be a lot more helpful, would be able to just go ahead and negotiate orders if you didn’t make the first board.
That is horrible the amount of time y’all didnt have. I wonder why they waited so long. With the first class I get they were trying to figure things out but it should be better now. All other programs have been putting results out on time or before the timeline so fingers crossed they will be in better time this year.

I know it that would be a lot more helpful, would be able to just go ahead and negotiate orders if you didn’t make the first board.
That is horrible the amount of time y’all didnt have. I wonder why they waited so long. With the first class I get they were trying to figure things out but it should be better now. All other programs have been putting results out on time or before the timeline so fingers crossed they will be in better time this year.

There was some sort of issue. We were told at orientation that they can't tell us what it was. But it really doesn't matter. It all worked out for the best. Honestly, if I had found out months in advance, I probably would have gone nuts waiting to start. We don't start classes back up until the 22, and I'm going nuts waiting to start lol.

Reactions: 1 users
There was some sort of issue. We were told at orientation that they can't tell us what it was. But it really doesn't matter. It all worked out for the best. Honestly, if I had found out months in advance, I probably would have gone nuts waiting to start. We don't start classes back up until the 22, and I'm going nuts waiting to start lol.
Hmmm.. maybe they have it fixed now. Oh wow so are y’all in a “leave” status until then?

Oh that’s pretty awesome. Do y’all shadow at Walter reed?

Some people are shadowing at Andrews, some people are shadowing at Walter Reed I think, and some people are shadowing civilians. I’m not sure if everyone has something lined up yet. I set mine up myself.

Some people are shadowing at Andrews, some people are shadowing at Walter Reed I think, and some people are shadowing civilians. I’m not sure if everyone has something lined up yet. I set mine up myself.
Do you get to choose whoever you want or do they provide you those willing to
Let you shadow them?

Do you get to choose whoever you want or do they provide you those willing to
Let you shadow them?

Depends on how you do it. Some people are doing it through the military, and they basically just put you with someone. I have a preexisting relationship with a vascular surgeon (ie, I worked with him for years) who happens to work in DC, so I just called him.

Depends on how you do it. Some people are doing it through the military, and they basically just put you with someone. I have a preexisting relationship with a vascular surgeon (ie, I worked with him for years) who happens to work in DC, so I just called him.
Ah I see, that’s awesome. What an awesome experience to shadow him I’m jealous lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I know results came out really late this year. Did any of you get an email from chief letting you know results will be out in January?
Did you recieve an email saying the results would be out in Jan?

Last edited:
Did you recieve an email saying the tesults would be out in Jan?
I did not receive an email specifically for that purpose; however, Chief did mention it as we were discussing the where abouts of my package (which was assumed lost until November 7th LOL). Nonetheless, I would still take the January timeline with a grain of salt (as Matthew said). Practically speaking, that would put us on par with MECP results which has a deadline 2 months prior to ours (Sept. vice Nov.)

I did not receive an email specifically for that purpose; however, Chief did mention it as we were discussing the where abouts of my package (which was assumed lost until November 7th LOL). Nonetheless, I would still take the January timeline with a grain of salt (as Matthew said). Practically speaking, that would put us on par with MECP results which has a deadline 2 months prior to ours (Sept. vice Nov.)

Are triads notified first?

Are triads notified first?
Generally, yes. Because they have a responsibility for the arrangement of orders and processing details to facilitate the selection. I am speaking from CCC experience and not from this particular board selection.

What is the obligation generated by this program?
60 Months IAW BUMEDINST 1500.31; however, that would change once selected personnel transition into medical school via USUHS, HPSP, or HSCP. At that point obligations become reflective of the individual medical programs.

So no added obligation? Or USUHS 7 years/HPSP 4 years plus 60 mo or...?
From my understanding the 60 months is to ensure if you either DON'T make it through the program OR you DO make it through the program but not into medical school, then the Navy still has time to recuperate some sort of military service (in your previous rating) out of you. At the point of you entering into USUHS / HPSP / HSCP, then you would be requiring another reenlistment (and thereby another change to the contract). This is much to the same effect as using a multiyear reenlistment to account for an extension and gain a bonus. In the end, you haven't really added anything beyond the 2 years to get through the EMDP2 program and then required time for USUHS/HPSP/HSCP.

Hello all,

Brand new to the sdn world. I am an AD 18D in the army waiting on the EMDP2 results for 2018 as well. Not a well known program in the army and no current threads for army dogs so i decided to stress out with some sailors if thats cool. Researching the program, the packet requirements and everything that followed was exhausting but hoping for good news soon. Emailed my poc for a release date of acceptance, he just replied they are waiting on the USUHS board to convene then results will be posted and to be patient.

Hello all,

Brand new to the sdn world. I am an AD 18D in the army waiting on the EMDP2 results for 2018 as well. Not a well known program in the army and no current threads for army dogs so i decided to stress out with some sailors if thats cool. Researching the program, the packet requirements and everything that followed was exhausting but hoping for good news soon. Emailed my poc for a release date of acceptance, he just replied they are waiting on the USUHS board to convene then results will be posted and to be patient.
I'm sure being an 18D will strengthen your packet. Best of luck!!

Hello all,

I wonder if Navy is till waiting on the second board also. Good luck everyone!

I wonder if Navy is till waiting on the second board also. Good luck everyone!
Spoke with the school, they have the navy results. The board for the school will be held at the end of the month and the results will be mailed to the individual branches that same week. The navy will have its second board once the results from the school is received

I just spoke with HMC to ask if the Gov't Shutdown would affect results and if end of January was still the expected timeframe for the NAVADMIN. She said that she working on a different process for the upcoming years; however, for this year, the expectation should be around mid-February. She said that the process it directly tied to the convening date for George Mason University (which is today, January 22nd). Just thought everyone would like to know.

I just spoke with HMC to ask if the Gov't Shutdown would affect results and if end of January was still the expected timeframe for the NAVADMIN. She said that she working on a different process for the upcoming years; however, for this year, the expectation should be around mid-February. She said that the process it directly tied to the convening date for George Mason University (which is today, January 22nd). Just thought everyone would like to know.

Thank you for that update!

Update: the board was not held yesterday, the board is scheduled to be held Jan 30th. The will not have the board until they have all the branches’ packages and 3/4 branches have sent their selections in. The director was not there yesterday due to being furloughed. I get all my info from Wendy Wilson at the school.

What is the obligation generated by this program?

It is service dependent. Talking to the AF guys in my cohort, their commitment for EMDP2 is racked onto their HPSP or USUHS commitment. Ours (Navy) is not. Once we commission, our only commitment is what we incur like any other HPSP/USUHS student.

Update: the board was not held yesterday, the board is scheduled to be held Jan 30th. The will not have the board until they have all the branches’ packages and 3/4 branches have sent their selections in. The director was not there yesterday due to being furloughed. I get all my info from Wendy Wilson at the school.

Prepare to wait. I wouldn’t expect results until late February or March. I have no inside info, but based on my year and the previous year, results will likely be late.

Hello all,

Welcome and good luck. Many of our Army guys are 18D, so you will be in good company. I’ve seen what you guys had to put together to apply. That is ridiculousness. We had like a fifth of that.

So no added obligation? Or USUHS 7 years/HPSP 4 years plus 60 mo or...?

Just to be clear, this is service dependent. For the Navy, you incur 60 months to enter EMDP2. Upon completion of EMDP2 and commissioning, your 60 months is cancelled and replaced with your new contract for HPSP or USUHS.

For the Army and AF it may be different. Our AF service leader told me they incurred a post med school commitment that is served consecutively with their HPSP/USUHS commitment, so that’s 4/7 + whatever they agreed to for EMDP2. I am not sure about the Army but I can ask.

Generally, yes. Because they have a responsibility for the arrangement of orders and processing details to facilitate the selection. I am speaking from CCC experience and not from this particular board selection.

Mine was not. Neither was cohort 3. The message comes out for everyone at the same time. I was told by my DCA who happened to catch the message traffic as I walked in for a Saturday duty day. The captain congratulated me on Monday.

Welcome and good luck. Many of our Army guys are 18D, so you will be in good company. I’ve seen what you guys had to put together to apply. That is ridiculousness. We had like a fifth of that.
Yeah but it will be worth it in the long run. Need a break from this line of work. Something where I am home more often. Hope the results come soon so i don't get pulled for next upcoming deployment. Looking at Woodbridge Va to move to. I like a commute and to be far away from military bases and traffic. I hear the schools are good and there is plenty of public transportation in the region once i start at USUHS. BAH works for that area too since the closer to DC the more expensive it is. Any comments on places to live for the 2 yrs in EMDP2 and 4 yrs in USUHS are most certainly welcomed.

Yeah but it will be worth it in the long run. Need a break from this line of work. Something where I am home more often. Hope the results come soon so i don't get pulled for next upcoming deployment. Looking at Woodbridge Va to move to. I like a commute and to be far away from military bases and traffic. I hear the schools are good and there is plenty of public transportation in the region once i start at USUHS. BAH works for that area too since the closer to DC the more expensive it is. Any comments on places to live for the 2 yrs in EMDP2 and 4 yrs in USUHS are most certainly welcomed.

Your BAH will be for Bethesda, which is decent no matter where you are in NOVA. Goes a little less far in MD.

As for where to live. First, you have to decide whether you want to move once or twice. If you don't mind paying for your own move after the two years at GMU, you can live in NOVA and be pretty close to class every day, then move closer to USUHS like the vast majority of people do. I would recommend against Woodbridge, personally. It is a 35 minute drive without traffic to GMU, and you will be on campus every single day M-F. In the first semester, MWF you'll be there until at least 3, and then second semester, you'll be there until 4 every single day. W and F are 0900 starts. There are really nice places to live around Manassas and Bristow that are 5-10 minutes from campus.

If your concern is being away from a military base, Manassas and Bristow are an hour from USUHS at a minimum (unless you leave at 0500, in which case it takes 40 minutes). Additionally, the drive from Woodbridge to Bethesda is 45 minutes without traffic. But there is always traffic. You can expect that commute to be anywhere from an hour if you're lucky to up to two or three hours if you're not. More likely, it will be somewhere in between (~1.5 hours) most days. We had a few folks buy houses in Manassas and Centreville (which is closer to USUHS, but still 40-50 minutes away), and many of them are selling and moving closer to Bethesda because the commute is so horrible.

I can PM you the neighborhood I live in if and when you get selected if you want, but it is only 8 minutes from GMU and a really great neighborhood. The houses are super nice, and the rent is substantially below the BAH. As for when we start at USUHS, we are planning to move to Rockville, MD, which is where a lot of the med students live. It is a really nice neighborhood that is ~15 minutes from campus, and the rent is reasonable (slightly higher than NOVA, but still under the BAH).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here. Or, if they're more personal, you can PM me. I'm praying you guys find out soon, because I know exactly how you feel right now. We waited until the last couple days in May to get our results. It was excruciating, but it is 1000% worth it. This has been a whirlwind of a time, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That all sounds good. Just waiting to hear the news before I pull the trigger on making moves. Going to ask some friends in high places if they can make a phone call and ask for the results of the board in the next day or two. I will post any info or associated names selected if I hear any for those waiting as well.

That all sounds good. Just waiting to hear the news before I pull the trigger on making moves. Going to ask some friends in high places if they can make a phone call and ask for the results of the board in the next day or two. I will post any info or associated names selected if I hear any for those waiting as well.

I would not. You can get into some serious trouble doing that. A couple Master Chiefs got in big trouble last year for discussing board info outside of an official message. And the Army might be different, but you will not get any information from the Navy until the message is released.

I know waiting sucks, but you just have to be patient. We didn’t find out until May 29, and two guys in cohort 1 found out 2 weeks before classes started. Just be patient. The results will come out.

I would wait, the school had their board yesterday. Who knows if they even decided in one day. Also they have to mail the results back to the individual branches. We just have to be patient. Based on the conversation with HMC, we can potentially know bewteen middle of february to middle of march

I would wait, the school had their board yesterday. Who knows if they even decided in one day. Also they have to mail the results back to the individual branches. We just have to be patient. Based on the conversation with HMC, we can potentially know bewteen middle of february to middle of march

That sounds right. That’s what they shot for last year, but some weird **** prevented them from being released for months. Hopefully it doesn’t take that long for you.

AF here, hopping on board (heh heh) with you all... I just spoke with Wendy at USUHS to ask whether the USUHS board was able to convene on Jan 30th or not. She said the Army board met but so far the others hadn't. I'm not sure exactly what that means, since back on Jan 23rd, per lexileilani's update, they were still waiting for 1 of the 4 services' selections in order to convene the USUHS board.

Perhaps I wasn't clear and she thought I was asking about individual services' secondary boards post-USUHS board.

AF here, hopping on board (heh heh) with you all... I just spoke with Wendy at USUHS to ask whether the USUHS board was able to convene on Jan 30th or not. She said the Army board met but so far the others hadn't. I'm not sure exactly what that means, since back on Jan 23rd, per lexileilani's update, they were still waiting for 1 of the 4 services' selections in order to convene the USUHS board.

Perhaps I wasn't clear and she thought I was asking about individual services' secondary boards post-USUHS board.

Like I said, you guys should just prepare to wait.

Oh no doubt. I'm not getting my hopes up for hearing anything before the end of March at the earliest.

Smart. We were expecting end of February, and it came out at the end of May. They will come out eventually. Just try to be patient, y'all!

Welcome to the waiting club though. I’m rooting for all of you. It’s such an awesome program.

Last edited:

On Jan 23 as per Wendy she stated they were waiting for all the branches to submit in order to convene one board. However i called back after the 30th and she said they only completed the army board. She said they must be doing it differently this year. After recieving two different answers from the same person, I decided not to reach out to her anymore. Im just going to wait until the results come out at this point.

On Jan 23 as per Wendy she stated they were waiting for all the branches to submit in order to convene one board. However i called back after the 30th and she said they only completed the army board. She said they must be doing it differently this year. After recieving two different answers from the same person, I decided not to reach out to her anymore. Im just going to wait until the results come out at this point.

Last year they did the AF, Marine, and Navy all in one board, then did the Army later. But the Navy results still came out last.

Just checking in. Any updates on a release date?