wait lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dog0

dough go.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been wait listed at quite a few programs. is anyone familiar with the process? how likely are wait listers offered interviews? i know it's dependent on the program, but is there a general trend?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity did they contact you to tell you that you are on the waitlist or did you contact the program to ask?

they emailed me last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've called some programs and been told I'll be called if any interviews open, but no one has sent any official notification. Just curious.

brigham's, penn, ucsd, emory have all waitlisted.

also NYU and northwestern have waitlisted.

wait lists are moving. ucsd, emory.

Languishing on a few wait lists, too....sigh.

I hear a lot of students start to get tired around this time and cancel their late interviews. Maybe we'll start to see some turnover next week? One can only hope.

I hear a lot of students start to get tired around this time and cancel their late interviews. Maybe we'll start to see some turnover next week? One can only hope.

Agreed. Especially for January. I've asked PCs outright where I am on the interview waitlist, and historically what my chances are. They have the best knowledge and seemed happy to help and inform.

Most programs overbook because they know they will get cancellations but we never know how many we will get. I had over 15 one year and five the next. Also, some applicants wait until the last minute to cancel even though they know much earlier in their schedule that they have no intention of interviewing at certain programs. If an applicant cancels the day before, it is too late for that program to invite someone else. So for those of you reading this, if you know right now that you are not going to go to any of the interviews you have scheduled next month or January, please e-mail the coordinator now and let her know, so you can give another applicant a chance to get your spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
If an applicant cancels the day before, it is too late for that program to invite someone else.
Case in point: I interviewed at a program yesterday where only 4 of 8 of us showed up because some inconsiderate folks decided to cancel the day before Thanksgiving, letting 4 precious interview spots go to waste.

So for those of you reading this, if you know right now that you are not going to go to any of the interviews you have scheduled next month or January, please e-mail the coordinator now and let her know, so you can give another applicant a chance to get your spot.

I completely agree!

Case in point: I interviewed at a program yesterday where only 4 of 8 of us showed up because some inconsiderate folks decided to cancel the day before Thanksgiving, letting 4 precious interview spots go to waste.

I completely agree!

Reading this really upsets me.

I completely agree!

That is so rude it makes me sick. If you're lucky enough to have so many interviews that you need to cancel some, that's great, but not everyone is in that position. To screw other people over by canceling at the last minute (or not at all) just because you were too lazy to call or email a coordinator is horrible. One person's backup is another's dream program. Have a little courtesy, people.

This is very frustrating especially when the interview schedule is already in place, etc...

Had a candidate this week called 2 hours before the reception to say that he wasn't coming. Was shocked because not only did he not have a good enough reason, he was coming from only 1 1/2 hours away.

Had a good number of candidates on the waitlist but no time to invite them...

This is very frustrating especially when the interview schedule is already in place, etc...

Had a candidate this week called 2 hours before the reception to say that he wasn't coming. Was shocked because not only did he not have a good enough reason, he was coming from only 1 1/2 hours away.

Had a good number of candidates on the waitlist but no time to invite them...

Personally, if I was called the day before for a spot for my #1 choice, I'd make it work somehow. Receiving an invitation the day of, obviously, is much more difficult to work with. That being said, I doubt I am alone in saying I'd want to be notified about a spot opening up even if it's only 24 hours in advance.

Like the post prior to mine, I would make myself available for an interview at a desirable program with even the most minimal notice. I just completed a trip across the country with less than one week's notice for an interview at one of my top choices. If this is a competitive match or simply the norm, it is irrelevant. I will take advantage of every opportunity offered to secure the best possible match for myself. The interviews I am cancelling are being cancelled with as much notice as possible. I wish everyone the best.

^^ not everyone has the kind of funds to book a last minute trip across the country.

^^ not everyone has the kind of funds to book a last minute trip across the country.

Wouldn't you at least like to be notified, though? Sometimes last minute fares are outrageous, but sometimes you get a freak deal and it's not bad at all.

Wouldn't you at least like to be notified, though? Sometimes last minute fares are outrageous, but sometimes you get a freak deal and it's not bad at all.

I'm with you. There are a few programs that I am waitlisted at that I would try pretty much anything to get to. I'd at least want the chance to try to make it happen. I think if it's at least 24 hours before, programs should try to invite waitlisted candidates.

I'm with you. There are a few programs that I am waitlisted at that I would try pretty much anything to get to. I'd at least want the chance to try to make it happen. I think if it's at least 24 hours before, programs should try to invite waitlisted candidates.

I understand what you are saying and if I was on the candidate side of things I would feel the same way....however, unless it is someone you know will come at the last minute, there is no reason to try an invite a candidate within 24 hours. The reasoning is that there is so many logistics that go into the interviews on the program side of things that it just isn't possible.

I understand what you are saying and if I was on the candidate side of things I would feel the same way....however, unless it is someone you know will come at the last minute, there is no reason to try an invite a candidate within 24 hours. The reasoning is that there is so many logistics that go into the interviews on the program side of things that it just isn't possible.

That's fair. I am sure that it isn't easy to change things at the last minute. It's bad for everyone when people cancel on such short notice.