Should I apply or wait for scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudent28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, here is my story. I failed my Step 1 the first time, passed the second time. I failed my Step 2 the first time and the second time, and at this point I am scheduled to write the exam in January. I have applied for Family Medicine...no interviews yet, and just recently decided to apply for OB/GYN. I have always been passionate about the field just never pursued this field until now. Here is my question, should I apply right now without having my results, and let the programs know that I am interested? (I am not expecting any interviews, but by applying now I am hoping to just let them know that I am interested and in case they have a spot available during scramble that they would perhaps consider me, once I passed my step 2) OR should I wait until I pass this step 2 exam, and see what programs are available during scramble and apply then? PLEASE HELP! I know it is a more competitive program, would you say I have any chances of getting in?

Any advice will be great! THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, here is my story. I failed my Step 1 the first time, passed the second time. I failed my Step 2 the first time and the second time, and at this point I am scheduled to write the exam in January. I have applied for Family Medicine...no interviews yet, and just recently decided to apply for OB/GYN. I have always been passionate about the field just never pursued this field until now. Here is my question, should I apply right now without having my results, and let the programs know that I am interested? (I am not expecting any interviews, but by applying now I am hoping to just let them know that I am interested and in case they have a spot available during scramble that they would perhaps consider me, once I passed my step 2) OR should I wait until I pass this step 2 exam, and see what programs are available during scramble and apply then? PLEASE HELP! I know it is a more competitive program, would you say I have any chances of getting in?

Any advice will be great! THANKS!
Hi MS- I read this a few days ago and saw that no one has responded. I didn't want to make you feel ignored but you are in a difficult situation. As I'm sure you known, to have such problems with the steps and then to be a late applicant puts you in a not so good position. So I would let money guide you. Take a look at programs that traditionally dont receive a lot of apps and programs that traditionally haven't filled-- apply like crazy. These may not be the best programs ever, but at least you'll get a chance to do what you want. Also, did you graduate from school in the US? I don't want to be flamed for this but I know that there are some programs that are largely IMGs, that might be more receptive to AMGs. Not saying that they are worse physicians but I think that if faced with an IMG vs. an AMG with slightly less competative credentials, PDs would go with the AMG. At any rate, I wish you the best of luck!

Hi MeganRose, thank you for replying! I appreciate your imput. I wanted to let you know that I am an IMG, so that would probably decrease my chances even more. I have a feeling that applying will be a waste of money; I have to pass this exam, and hope that scramble will have something to offer. Although I might take your advice and check out programs that are not always filled. Would you mind letting me know how I can find such info? FRIEDA? Thanks again!