wait list vs alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a differnce between the two? If there is a differncec who has priority? Has anyone here been granted admission after being placed on either? I am alternative listed at NSU-COM could appreciate the advice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it is more complicated then i thought

As far as I know they are the same thing. I am on 2 alternate lists. They can be ranked or unranked...I am almost positive waitlist is just a different term for the same idea.

Either way, its not fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I asked a couple of med students and they said it was the same thing!

Originally posted by Doc34
I was wondering if there is a differnce between the two? If there is a differncec who has priority? Has anyone here been granted admission after being placed on either? I am alternative listed at NSU-COM could appreciate the advice. Thanks

Doc32,

There is a difference between the two. I know this because I have been on both. The waitlist is applied once you have interviewed and they do not want to make a decision on your case. Most schools will place you on the waitlist after an interview if they think that they may be interested in you after they have interviewed a certain percentage of the applicants. In other words, you are neither rejected or accepted. I was placed on the waitlist to Marshall University in October and still have yet to hear from them.

The alternate list is a list of ranked, or in some cases unranked individuals, that did not get a spot in the class outright. The create alternate lists in case one of the people they accepted decides to pull their acceptance late in the game. This is how they insure that their class will be filled at the time of matriculation. I was placed on the alternate list two years ago at WVSOM and found out the day before their classes started that I had not been moved from the list and therefore did not get accepted.

Both are good things to be on, because they signify no rejected applications. I have known several people who got accepted in August for the upcoming school year because they were on the alternate list. Dont give up, even though you constantly check your mail and phone machine to see if you have heard. Most of the time, no news is good news. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

Aaron

Reactions: 2 users
aaron,

Thanks for your reply. I apprectiate you taking the time out to explain the situation to me. Im just going to continue to hang in there until I get a call. Thanks again.

I am also on the "alternate list" with you at NSU. I too was wondering if there was a difference. I hope we hear some good news but it probably will not be until the end of May bcs that is when the next deposits are due. Hang in there!!!!:hardy:

I'm also on the alternate list at NSU, and I don't think there is a waitlist in addition. Also Dr. Chaffin told me that the list is not ranked, so I have no idea how they decide! He also said that they won't be able to make any decisions until May when the deposits are due, like sunnystudent said. So we shouldn't really worry until after May 21st comes and goes!! I hope we all hear good news in May or June! ~Jen

The explanation I received about the difference between the waitlist and alternate list is similar to the previous post with the thorough description. I was told that you could possibly be moved from the alternate to the waiting list faster if you could strengthen your application, which may include a letter of intent or another recommedation. Only the school that has placed you on the alternate list can be more specific about what they believe you need in order to add that extra umph to you application.

Hello, I am on the alternate list at VCOM and to my understanding it is different from the waitlist. They have both an alternate and a waitlist. They recommended that I send a LOI and more recommendations. I did both but I am still not sure what my realistic chances are of gaining a spot. I was told by the Director of Admissions that the alternate list is reviewed once a month and some of the candidates on that list will get moved up to the waitlist. So I feel very discouraged and depressed. It's driving me crazy because I don't know what to do at this point. I was hoping to be planning a move to Blacksburg. Anyone have some suggestions or words of support. Thanks, :confused:

dml said:
Hello, I am on the alternate list at VCOM and to my understanding it is different from the waitlist. They have both an alternate and a waitlist. They recommended that I send a LOI and more recommendations. I did both but I am still not sure what my realistic chances are of gaining a spot. I was told by the Director of Admissions that the alternate list is reviewed once a month and some of the candidates on that list will get moved up to the waitlist. So I feel very discouraged and depressed. It's driving me crazy because I don't know what to do at this point. I was hoping to be planning a move to Blacksburg. Anyone have some suggestions or words of support. Thanks, :confused:

Hey dml,

I posted the difference between the two earlier in this thread. First of all, dont feel discouraged about not knowing yet. Not everyone that gets accepted to a certain school goes there. Unfortunately, some people have accepted offers at other schools and have not reported their intent to matriculate at another school, which in turn slows the alternate list progress.

There will ultimately be several at VCOM, whether it be due to acceptance at another school, or they just want to defer for a year, that decide not to attend. That is why they review the alternate list every month or so. Did they give you a rank order on the alternate list. Keep letting them know that you want to attend VCOM.

Please feel free to PM with any more questions, or if you just want a pep talk. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope that you get into VCOM. Amy B could probably also give you some great advice about the school. Take care.

Aaron

I wanted to give you some words of encouragement. Keep your heads up and dont become discouraged. There are still 3 months or so before the class of 2008 matriculates (depending on the school). Just because you have not heard yet does not necessarily that you wont get in.

I know what it is like being on both the alternate and waitlist. It is not good for the old peptic ulcers. My best advice is keep updating your applications and let the school you are waiting on know that you intend to matriculate there. Good luck to everyone and dont give up hope.

Aaron

Reactions: 1 users
A number of folks have PMed me about the difference between the waitlist and the alternate list at VCOM. I got the answer from Megan Price, dean of admissions and wanted to post it here. Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Mrs Price said, "we are working with a waitlist and an alternate list. The waitlist comes into play at the end of the year when we?ve filled the class. The waitlist is for individuals to whom we would like to offer a seat but are unable to do so because all of the seats are filled. These are folks who would have been offered a seat outright would they have interviewed two months ago. We work directly from the waitlist in order to fill the class. The waitlist is ranked by applicant strength ? not by date of interview. So, when a seat becomes available, the first person on the waitlist is offered a seat automatically. The alternate list is a different animal.

We?ve been using the alternate list all year. We place a candidate on the alternate list when we feel their application could use some improvement. We encourage these individuals to provide us with updated grades (as they finish their semester), updated MCAT scores (when appropriate), additional letters of recommendation, and a letter of intent (when appropriate). We will review the alternate list once a month. Once the list is reviewed, we will move some candidates up to the waitlist and the remaining candidates will stay on the alternate list to be reviewed the following month. The alternate list is not ranked.

:) :p :thumbup: :luck:
To all of those on the "alternate" list at NSU. There is hope. I was on the alternate list since March and was just accepted today!!! My advice is to write a letter of intent and make your continued interest known. I hope to see you in July!!
Best of Luck :luck:

sunystudent said:
:) :p :thumbup: :luck:
To all of those on the "alternate" list at NSU. There is hope. I was on the alternate list since March and was just accepted today!!! My advice is to write a letter of intent and make your continued interest known. I hope to see you in July!!
Best of Luck :luck:

Congratulations sunystudent!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Has anyone else that has posted on this thread found anything out about their waitlist/alternate list position. As the great Amy B always says, NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron

Quick silly question...what exactly is a "letter of intent"?

doc3341 said:
Quick silly question...what exactly is a "letter of intent"?

It is a letter expression your intention of attending that school if you are offered a spot. Many people on waitlists send these to the school in hopes that it will improve their chances of getting that spot. Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

jmv10 said:
I'm also on the alternate list at NSU, and I don't think there is a waitlist in addition. Also Dr. Chaffin told me that the list is not ranked, so I have no idea how they decide! He also said that they won't be able to make any decisions until May when the deposits are due, like sunnystudent said. So we shouldn't really worry until after May 21st comes and goes!! I hope we all hear good news in May or June! ~Jen

I interviewed and applied to NSU-COM late and received a letter last week indicating that I was a "high alternate" status candidate (quotations theirs).The letter goes on to explain that the class is filled, but I would be among the first to get placed if someone backs out. They also indicated that I was being offered a seat in the class starting in 2007 if I am not called up for this year. My advice would be to call Delia in admissions and ask her what the status is and whether you can be accepted into next years class without having to reapply, etc. Best of luck.
Dr. EMS
NSU-COM class of 2011

Do any current or former students know how late to expect to hear back if we are called up as alternates? Can you forget about getting in a month before school?
Dr. EMS

Reactions: 1 user