Alternate Careers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMSRealWeebHours

Reaction score
Hello, I am pondering dropping out and am curious if any others have done that and what successes or regrets they have had. As a first year student should I stick it out or leave before the debt accrues and are there any decent options for someone who doesn't get the degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on why you are wanting to leave. It’s the first semester so there is a huge learning curve and this semester sucks for everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
As a first year student should I stick it out or leave before the debt accrues and are there any decent options for someone who doesn't get the degree?
There are non-clinical careers for physicians who have completed their degree, but a year of medical school does not open any new options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am pondering dropping out and am curious if any others have done that and what successes or regrets they have had. As a first year student should I stick it out or leave before the debt accrues and are there any decent options for someone who doesn't get the degree?
No, starting medical school doesn’t give you any additional options that weren’t open to you before.

There are plenty of alternate healthcare careers that you should have researched or been made aware of prior to attending medical school. That's not to say you can't leave M1 and apply for being a physician assistant, but you have to convince the admissions committees you're not just jumping ship at the first sign of trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
At many schools, the 1st semester of first year is not medicine. It is heavy and voluminous basic science courses. I know many 1st semester students wonder what the H have I gotten myself into. First yr is a grind for most. 2nd yr gets into pathology and diseases, so much more interesting. Attrition rates at most schools are in the 2 to 5% range. Try to remember why you wanted to be a doctor and how hard you worked to get there. I would keep my head down and keep working hard. You can do this. It gets better.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
At many schools, the 1st semester of first year is not medicine. It is heavy and voluminous basic science courses. I know many 1st semester students wonder what the H have I gotten myself into. First yr is a grind for most. 2nd yr gets into pathology and diseases, so much more interesting. Attrition rates at most schools are in the 2 to 5% range. Try to remember why you wanted to be a doctor and how hard you worked to get there. I would keep my head down and keep working hard. You can do this. It gets better.

It's funny looking back on the things you learned back then. Because you honestly don't remember it 7 years later.

It's funny looking back on the things you learned back then. Because you honestly don't remember it 7 years later.

It has been 3 months since I took step 2/level 2.. I don't remember anything I learned in medical school lol