Wait for possible, late Sept DO LoR if I have MD LoR? Would I be behind in app cycle? Stats listed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

examsandyams

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received my MCAT score of 500 and was recommended to apply broadly to many DO schools (have a different post about this). I have the chance to shadow a DO physician, but I can't until September. I was originally thinking of shadowing him and then asking for an LoR, but now I'm wondering if I should continue my application without it since the letter wouldn't come in until late September at best. Since I haven't shadowed him yet I have no guarantee of the letter.

I currently have a LoR from an MD, and my stats are 3.67cGPA, 3.4sGPA, and 500 MCAT. With my stats, would it be more beneficial to try to finish secondaries by the end of August or wait for a possible DO LoR by the end of September?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently received my MCAT score of 500 and was recommended to apply broadly to many DO schools (have a different post about this). I have the chance to shadow a DO physician, but I can't until September. I was originally thinking of shadowing him and then asking for an LoR, but now I'm wondering if I should continue my application without it since the letter wouldn't come in until late September at best. Since I haven't shadowed him yet I have no guarantee of the letter.

I currently have a LoR from an MD, and my stats are 3.67cGPA, 3.4sGPA, and 500 MCAT. With my stats, would it be more beneficial to try to finish secondaries by the end of August or wait for a possible DO LoR by the end of September?
Apply to the schools that don't require a DO letter now. Apply to others once you have it

I would apply with the MD LOR and then just send each school an email telling them that you will not be able to have a DO LOR in your possession until at least September when you shadow one. At the very least, they have your app on file and they know to expect one if they want to move forward with an interview. In some cases, you'll be allowed to explain why you do not have a DO LOR in the secondary application. Good luck this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply with the MD LOR and then just send each school an email telling them that you will not be able to have a DO LOR in your possession until at least September when you shadow one. At the very least, they have your app on file and they know to expect one if they want to move forward with an interview. In some cases, you'll be allowed to explain why you do not have a DO LOR in the secondary application. Good luck this cycle!

By this do you mean I just send it separately after I have submitted my secondary information or to create a section in my AACOMAS application for it? Thanks!

By this do you mean I just send it separately after I have submitted my secondary information or to create a section in my AACOMAS application for it? Thanks!
Yes do both. Create the section on your AACOMAS after you submit your secondary so your'e application is technically complete. Then once you get the letter just send the schools a heads up that you have another letter as part of your application that way you get considered early but then have a DO letter as part of your app. You will have to email the schools that specifically require a DO letter if it's okay to substitute an MD letter for the time being. Otherwise most schools are indifferent but "prefer" DO.

Yes do both. Create the section on your AACOMAS after you submit your secondary so your'e application is technically complete. Then once you get the letter just send the schools a heads up that you have another letter as part of your application that way you get considered early but then have a DO letter as part of your app. You will have to email the schools that specifically require a DO letter if it's okay to substitute an MD letter for the time being. Otherwise most schools are indifferent but "prefer" DO.

Okay, thank you for the advice!

My bad, another question. Don't know if you know this, but if I make evaluation request, will the request be automatically sent to the evaluator's email? I'm only asking because I don't want the email sent before I even shadow the physician. I attached a screenshot of an item listed in the AACOMAS request that made me question this. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.18.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.18.20 PM.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 56
My bad, another question. Don't know if you know this, but if I make evaluation request, will the request be automatically sent to the evaluator's email? I'm only asking because I don't want the email sent before I even shadow the physician. I attached a screenshot of an item listed in the AACOMAS request that made me question this. Thanks!
I would submit through interfolio that way you have the letter saved and can send the request when you are ready. Interfolio generates an email that you can put on that email field so when the writer submits then they go ahead and submit it onto AACOMAS. Does that answer your question?

I would submit through interfolio that way you have the letter saved and can send the request when you are ready. Interfolio generates an email that you can put on that email field so when the writer submits then they go ahead and submit it onto AACOMAS. Does that answer your question?
Yes, I believe so. Thanks!

Sorry, I keep coming to you for questions. I'm creating the Interfolio Dossier account, and I have a few questions. I'm confused as to where or when the generated email pops up. I've created the recommendation request for another email I have to test Interfolio out, and it asks for the recommender's email. I put in my other email, and the request was sent directly to that email.

I'm confused as to where the generated email address comes from in Interfolio. I see the instructions for AMCAS and individual DO schools but not for AACOMAS. I attached some screenshots of the request form and the bottom of the page in case they might help. Thanks you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.31.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.31.28 AM.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.31.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.31.40 AM.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.40.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.40.12 AM.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Sorry, I keep coming to you for questions. I'm creating the Interfolio Dossier account, and I have a few questions. I'm confused as to where or when the generated email pops up. I've created the recommendation request for another email I have to test Interfolio out, and it asks for the recommender's email. I put in my other email, and the request was sent directly to that email.

I'm confused as to where the generated email address comes from in Interfolio. I see the instructions for AMCAS and individual DO schools but not for AACOMAS. I attached some screenshots of the request form and the bottom of the page in case they might help. Thanks you!
Once your letter writer uploads it onto interfolio it will create a unique email but not before then. When you go to "view details" of the uploaded letter on your dossier, scroll down and you should see an email like this: [email protected]

Post the automatically generated email on the email field on AACOMAS. Interfolio receives the request then they send it to AACOMAS.

Reactions: 1 user