This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there’s a standard time of day that these programs will open on VSLO ?

I'm pretty sure it's program dependent

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen programs open at midnight, at like 4pm, and like three days before they said they were gonna open (looking at you Maimonides).

Reactions: 2 users
one of aways I'm applying to is requesting a personal statement. they don't mention anything about. Not sure how to handle this, would it be my ERAS personal statement? or just a short statement why I want to go to that program? super confused, I don't want to submit a "why emergency med" page long personal statement for a 4 week away, it sounds excessive and irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of aways I'm applying to is requesting a personal statement. they don't mention anything about. Not sure how to handle this, would it be my ERAS personal statement? or just a short statement why I want to go to that program? super confused, I don't want to submit a "why emergency med" page long personal statement for a 4 week away, it sounds excessive and irrelevant.

I’d just email them and ask. That’s what I’ve been doing - saved my butt once so far when a place wanted more of a “why do you like our program” letter

Most of them are a letter of intent on why you want to rotate there. I haven't seen any that actually ask for a personal statement ime.

The further along I get in this VSAS process, the more I’m starting to see why people in years before us complained about the system so much.

There’s no consistent way to know when programs open- so they may fill before you even have a chance to apply. Despite the constant mantra to “apply early!”

Cost. Trying to get around it by contacting programs directly but often times you have to use vsas.

Lack of ability to be notified of when a program opens (it sounds like this was a feature in the past?). I haven’t been able to find the feature this year.

It’s not universally used so you have to hunt down programs that are paper/on another system/etc

The institution dates for opening are often incorrect.

I just feel like it could be more streamlined and user friendly.

This is not a vsas issue but the system is also flawed in the sense that auditions are competitive to obtain so students are forced to apply to many places for one date. There’s the potential for withdrawing from a rotation which makes the applicant look bad. This is fueled by the fact that program opening dates are essentially staggered.

Also not a vslo issue but some programs require their own drug screen and background check and will not accept any other company. Adds to the cost burden.

Could be worse. Just venting.

Reactions: 3 users
Also the fact that programs open anytime from February to May, meaning if you really want to rotate at a program that opens late you have to either gamble on getting it and missing out on other earlier programs, or canceling another away and potentially losing it as a potential interview.

I mean there are definitely worse problems in this world than dealing with VSAS but it's probably more stressful than it needs to be.

Tbh going through VSAS last year was waaayyyy more stressful than the actual interview cycle

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection emails starting to come in. I'm well aware residency is a a longshot, but getting rejected for rotations because of low step (206) still stings a bit.

NM isn’t reviewing apps till April.

On a side note, Mt. Sinai in Miami is full.
This is confirmed ??

Also are the dates that you can select from on each VSAS listing up to date available? Or do you just select from them to apply to those certain dates and wait to hear back?

This is confirmed ??

Also are the dates that you can select from on each VSAS listing up to date available? Or do you just select from them to apply to those certain dates and wait to hear back?

About Miami? If that’s what you mean- I applied for every date from July-oct and received rejections stating they are full.

I don’t understand your second question.

About Miami? If that’s what you mean- I applied for every date from July-oct and received rejections stating they are full.

I know for a fact Miami is full because I had to beg my way into their very last spot a month ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I know for a fact Miami is full because I had to beg my way into their very last spot a month ago.

Lucky! Damn I was trying hard to get in there for a rotation but it wasn’t meant to be.

Well across the bay at UM we don’t even open until April!

I looked into your program but I didn't see any DO's in the 2 classes of residents that they have posted up and I'm below the average step they post on their website. Thanks so much for letting me know though!

I looked into your program but I didn't see any DO's in the 2 classes of residents that they have posted up and I'm below the average step they post on their website. Thanks so much for letting me know though!

My friend emailed UMiami and they do not let DOs rotate there :/ . You may have better luck with Kendall? I've emailed them without any luck.

My friend emailed UMiami and they do not let DOs rotate there :/ . You may have better luck with Kendall? I've emailed them without any luck.

Thanks for sharing, I had a feeling they weren't DO friendly based on what I had researched. Kendall is DO friendly, a few in each residency class and I was accepted for a rotation there today! I also never received an e-mail response from Kendall when I had tried reaching out.

That’s Crappy, sorry! Aventura is also worth a shot, for anyone else who’s interested I’ve heard they’re much more open to DOs

Rejection emails starting to come in. I'm well aware residency is a a longshot, but getting rejected for rotations because of low step (206) still stings a bit.
You need to apply very broadly. Start with all the programs who had to SOAP this year, previous AOA programs, 4 year programs with no name recognition, new programs (South Alabama, Unity, Orange Park, Merit Wesley, Lawton). I bumped into people with 210/234 steps on the trail, so it's still possible for you to get a shot. Also, start collecting letters for IM or FM as a backup.

May be a simple question but I’ve had little to no help from my home institution on anything related to VSAS, and my institution takes step 1 after third year so we don’t have scores back, and I’m scrambling to get everything else in so....

There’s one program that I know I want to rotate at and a handful of others I would like to check out. Should I apply to all the available dates for the one I know I want to attend and then just plan on withdrawing from the others when/if I’m accepted? Or is this poor form/is there something else I’m not thinking of....?

Apply to all the available dates. Unfortunately with the current VSAS system you have no choice but to apply broadly and accept every offer until you've filled your rotation schedule. As long as you don't cancel at the last minute most programs are understanding and know thats how the game is played.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how quick highlands typically is?

Anyone know if Hennepin has made any decisions? I've been under review since back in January. I know some people in years past have said some programs never sent them a response either way and I'm hoping that's not the case.

Is it important to get a SLOE from Level I trauma center? I'm scheduled for 2 at Level II's right now..

Is it important to get a SLOE from Level I trauma center? I'm scheduled for 2 at Level II's right now..

I’m certainly no expert as I’m just an M3, but I don’t think that will matter. The content matters much more as well as the program that it is coming from.

I know it’s hard not to be neurotic. But at this point, as a student, the trauma designation of a facility will have very little to do with your experience and nothing to do with the weight of a SLOE.
Trauma is not what a medical student handles in the ED. You need to know how to handle bread and butter EM. And while I recommend knowing the components of primary and secondary survey and a decent understanding of the trauma algorithm you will mosh likely be standing back watching people work and finding small ways to be helpful (log rolling, holding c spine, cutting clothes, etc. if you are good with ultrasound you might get to do the FAST).
I did WAY more procedures and was more involved in trauma at the level 2 compared to the 2 level 1 centers I rotated.
Don’t overthink this. Rotate places you want to go for residency and do well.

I would love to hear what people have been writing for these letters of interest that every program seems to require these days. For some programs that have unique things I’m interested in it’s easier, but a lot of these are just “decent EM program in good city” with a sparse website and very little in the way of things that will set them apart to potential away rotators.

I don’t say this as a diss to the programs either - it’s just that these clerkships all kind of exist to serve the same general goal.

Corpus Christi is currently reviewing apps. Received a rejection from them today because of board scores. She advised me that they have a very competitive applicant pool this year. Also have a friend who received an acceptance from Maricopa today so they are reviewing apps too. Accepted to Baystate yesterday.

For the letter of interest I just state the specifics of why I want to rotate at their program. For me this has been boiling down to ties to the location, knowing someone who did their residency at the program, any relevant cultural/demographic ties, unique fellowships they may offer that I'm interested in, etc. If I'm struggling to find information on them off their website then I usually do a search on here for experiences/comments on the program (esp that spreadsheet we have).

I don't think it's particularly important. I think what's more important is obtaining a GREAT letter, ++ if it comes from a "big name" but overall the impression I'm getting is that great/solid letters are the goal.

I can't even tell you what the "big name" programs are necessarily. Other than what people have said anecdotally on here, I don't really know how to figure out what the big names are for EM.

I agree with the above advice to just rotate where you want to end up and focus on getting a great letter from those places.

The trauma designation has literally no impact on your SLOE and any trauma you actually see you will have essentially no part in other than random tech level duties. Program type (county, academic, community), reputation, strength of SLOE (which is on you), and +/- location is really all that matters. Don't stress about it and rotate at programs you are interested in

I can't even tell you what the "big name" programs are necessarily. Other than what people have said anecdotally on here, I don't really know how to figure out what the big names are for EM.

I agree with the above advice to just rotate where you want to end up and focus on getting a great letter from those places.

Big names for EM are pretty subjective and 10 mins around SDN will give you an idea of what programs people think are impressive. In real life, look at locations you are interested in living and then take a look at the programs in the area. The big names will be obvious from your SDN creeping, any program that is in a major city, any program associated with a reasonably well known medical school, programs with a long history that have been around for a while, etc will all be sufficient in providing you with whatever you need

For letters of interest/intent I feel like most applicants write variations on the same thing; I have just been writing about different opportunities they have or unique aspects of their program that would appeal to me. They already know why their program is good or in a desirable location so unless you have a specific connection or reason for wanting to go to that program its not going to tell them much they don't already know. Personally I feel like some of them are just trying to cut down on the number of applications by placing extra requirements like the letter of interest so only people who are motivated will apply.

Anyone know if Hennepin has made any decisions? I've been under review since back in January. I know some people in years past have said some programs never sent them a response either way and I'm hoping that's not the case.
Sadly yes. I received my rejection this week after having applied 2 weeks prior. Call them! Let them know you are interested! The PD at my program has stated that if our students don't typically go to those residencies then they might not think you are interested and to wait 2 weeks and then call them. I guess I waited too long :arghh:.

Corpus Christi is currently reviewing apps. Received a rejection from them today because of board scores. She advised me that they have a very competitive applicant pool this year. Also have a friend who received an acceptance from Maricopa today so they are reviewing apps too. Accepted to Baystate yesterday.

For the letter of interest I just state the specifics of why I want to rotate at their program. For me this has been boiling down to ties to the location, knowing someone who did their residency at the program, any relevant cultural/demographic ties, unique fellowships they may offer that I'm interested in, etc. If I'm struggling to find information on them off their website then I usually do a search on here for experiences/comments on the program (esp that spreadsheet we have).

Mind commenting what range your score was in? I'm curious what level they're rejecting this year.

They rejected your app with a 218 for an away? Seriously? Wow. That's ridiculous.

Yeah they said it was a very competitive applicant pool this year and that people had scores much higher than mine. Stung a bit but I'm just keeping faith that things will work out the way they are supposed to and it wasn't meant to be for me to rotate there.

Yeah they said it was a very competitive applicant pool this year and that people had scores much higher than mine. Stung a bit but I'm just keeping faith that things will work out the way they are supposed to and it wasn't meant to be for me to rotate there.

Great attitude to have. My understanding is that aways are much more difficult to get than actual interviews given the fewer # of spots available for aways, so hopefully this is the case. Good luck. You only need 1 away outside of your home rotation (if you have a home program)!

Great attitude to have. My understanding is that aways are much more difficult to get than actual interviews given the fewer # of spots available for aways, so hopefully this is the case. Good luck. You only need 1 away outside of your home rotation (if you have a home program)!

Yea. I got rejected from Hennepin the other day...called, they said it was because of “low” board scores. I’m a USMD with a 240.

Was like WTF dude.

I got rejected for UCLA today. Step in the 250s. USMD. Damn, this is competitive...

Haven’t heard a peep elsewhere.