VSAS Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolmyname

Lord Have MRSA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I hope this is the right area to post this. If not I apologize in advance.

I'm currently an M3 and planning to go into EM. I am in the process of applying for away rotations in VSAS and thus far to this point I have submitted 6 applications, plan to submit 2 more in the near future. 6 of the programs are california schools and the other 2 are in the midwest. I already have scheduled my home EM rotation in the 4th year.

For the apps I have submitted 3 are still outside of the date for which those programs will respond to the app. The other 3 were submitted and it has roughly been 2 weeks to a month since those programs started sending out invitations. I submitted my applications for all on the 1st day the apps were open for submission. So I guess the question I am wondering is how long should I wait to hear back before assuming that the program probably is not sending out an invitation for an away rotation? I just worry about not getting an away rotation is all. I'd appreciate any advice any of you have to offer.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I guess the question I am wondering is how long should I wait to hear back before assuming that the program probably is not sending out an invitation for an away rotation? I just worry about not getting an away rotation is all. I'd appreciate any advice any of you have to offer.

Thanks

I wish I had something concrete to tell you, but every program is different. I know someone who finally heard back in July, probably because someone else cancelled, so there's an n=1 for you. Overall, I think you're on the right track.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I had something concrete to tell you, but every program is different. I know someone who finally heard back in July, probably because someone else cancelled, so there's an n=1 for you. Overall, I think you're on the right track.
appreciate your honesty. do you have any advice on what to do if an away isn't looking promising?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's ok to overapply a bit if you're worried. Worst case scenario is you end up with a few more offers than you can accept. If you accept the first one/two that you get that fit your schedule and withdraw from the rest no harm done. So, it is still quite early, but I think you could apply to a few more just to be safe IMHO.

Edit: Spagett!

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's ok to overapply a bit if you're worried. Worst case scenario is you end up with a few more offers than you can accept. If you accept the first one/two that you get that fit your schedule and withdraw from the rest no harm done. So, it is still quite early, but I think you could apply to a few more just to be safe IMHO.

Edit: Spagett!

I agree with everything about this except for the irritating Spagett gag.

Reactions: 1 user
appreciate your honesty. do you have any advice on what to do if an away isn't looking promising?

I'll follow up by saying that this year I applied to a broad range of aways - if you're applying to primarily cali schools as you have posted, it wouldn't be a bad idea to expand your horizons with one of the great rotations at less competitive locations.