Vote for Mitt Romney...the opponent thinks our success is not because of hardwrk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows President Obama attracting support from 46% of voters nationwide, while Mitt Romney earns 45% of the vote. Four percent (4%) prefer some other candidate, and five percent (5%) are undecided.
The president received a modest convention bounce, but that's now gone. On the day the conventions began, Obama was up by two points. Now the numbers are essentially back to that starting point with the president leading by a point. See daily tracking history.
When “leaners” are included, it’s Romney 48% and Obama 47%. Leaners are those who initially indicate no preference for either candidate but express a preference for one of them in a follow-up question

The race is a dead heat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows President Obama attracting support from 46% of voters nationwide, while Mitt Romney earns 45% of the vote. Four percent (4%) prefer some other candidate, and five percent (5%) are undecided.
The president received a modest convention bounce, but that's now gone. On the day the conventions began, Obama was up by two points. Now the numbers are essentially back to that starting point with the president leading by a point. See daily tracking history.
When “leaners” are included, it’s Romney 48% and Obama 47%. Leaners are those who initially indicate no preference for either candidate but express a preference for one of them in a follow-up question

The race is a dead heat.

You're wrong. Nationwide polls are worthless.

What matters are Colorado, Ohio, Iowa, Virginia, Florida. To a much lesser extent, North Carolina. EVERY OTHER STATE is essentially won or lost already.

Romney's going to win by landslides in Utah and Alabama. Obama's going to win by landslides in California and New York and DC. Romney is not going to pick up any electoral votes in Illinois. Obama won't get anything from Texas.

The guy who wins the swing states will win the election. That's why they're called swing states. And right now, Obama is leading in all of them, and his lead is widening.

Some of that lead may be a temporary post DNC convention bounce, but he's led for the last two months.

Romney is very, very much an underdog right now.

There is still time for something huge to happen and push the election. We could have an ambassador killed by an angry mob, for example, which set off a sequence of foreign policy crises that Obama could either botch or handle magnificently.

But RIGHT NOW it's very clear that Obama is winning, and pointing to a single national poll by Rasmussen (historically biased toward the Republican side, actually very badly so during the 2010 midterms), doesn't change that.

So, It isn't like Kerry is hurting for money. I never heard one word from the media about his vast fortune when he ran for President. I use Heinz every week;)

Are you serious? Kerry got skewered for going ****ing kiteboarding. It was too "elitist" for the American everyman.

Romney's wealth doesn't qualify/disqualify him for being president any more than Kerry's did, but let's call things fair and agree that bs issues get called by both sides when it's politically advantageous.

You're wrong. Nationwide polls are worthless.

What matters are Colorado, Ohio, Iowa, Virginia, Florida. To a much lesser extent, North Carolina. EVERY OTHER STATE is essentially won or lost already.

Romney's going to win by landslides in Utah and Alabama. Obama's going to win by landslides in California and New York and DC. Romney is not going to pick up any electoral votes in Illinois. Obama won't get anything from Texas.

The guy who wins the swing states will win the election. That's why they're called swing states. And right now, Obama is leading in all of them, and his lead is widening.

Frankly I'd be SHOCKED if Romney won Ohio. Kasich royally screwed the name of the republican party in this state with his ultra-conservative, ultra-arrogant approach to politics. I could be wrong, but when Issue 2/Senate Bill 5 was handily defeated last November, the tide of the next election was already turned in favor of the democrats.

To put it another way, there are a LOT of devout, banner waving republicans (myself included) that lost all respect for the party after that witch hunt. I suppose I would declare myself an independent these days, but realistically I just don't think it matters anymore. I'll be in the Bahamas this election, I don't really intend on turning in an absentee ballot.

Finally, how would voters feel about another term for President Obama? Half of likely voters (50 percent) say they feel the country’s “improving” every day and they would “look forward” to another four years. That’s more than the 43 percent who say the country’s going “down the drain” and they “dread” what would happen in a second term.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/12/fox-news-poll-obama-has-lead-over-romney-in-post-convention-poll/#ixzz26J8ZM6rQ

Stock market is going up, slowly, and the unemployment rate is going down, slowly. Does this not qualify as improvement?

Stock market is going up, slowly, and the unemployment rate is going down, slowly. Does this not qualify as improvement?

Sure. How long will it last once the Obama "fiscal cliff" hits in January? Massive tax increases, automatic Spending cuts and the most liberal President in my lifetime. I'm sure small businesses just can't wait until Obama wins the election.

Stock market rising doesn't translate into normal person wealth or usable income, or even an improved economy. It just means more profits for stockholders. This may come because of layoffs and cost-cutting, people not finding better places to put their money, or improved economy.

Unemployment is going down, but the total number of employed people is way down with many having simply given up.

Incomes have declined. As an example, many residencies are even not giving salary increases to their residents, which coupled to inflation is a definite decline.

I remember when Bush kept telling us for a couple of years that we were on the right track in Iraq, that progress was slowly being made. Finally after many years, a special surge and all sorts of other factors it did improve, but we all knew that many of those former speeches were lip service. Obama has been giving the same speeches on the economy these last several years.

Nothing has been firmly positive or negative, but our political inclinations made them so.

For me it has been negative. I feel I would fare better under Romney. I feel the country as a whole would fare better, too.

There is no way Mitt Romney is going to win. Why? Main news media. DNC convention had Russian warship photo on the background when "saluting" veterans and nobody cares. On the other hand, Every romney's word got "fact check"ed and was blasted left and right. It is shameful how the media treated these two candidates. Obama has got the Teflon and no one wants to say a bad word about him.

You need to educate yourself about how the unemployment rate is calculated. If you think the unemployment situation has improved, you're woefully uninformed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose I would declare myself an independent these days, but realistically I just don't think it matters anymore. I'll be in the Bahamas this election, I don't really intend on turning in an absentee ballot.

Great - that's one less vote for Obama!

You need to educate yourself about how the unemployment rate is calculated. If you think the unemployment situation has improved, you're woefully uninformed.

You need to educate yourself on the current state of our "bipartisan politics". If you honestly think that Romney's policies are any more financially sound than Obama's, you're woefully uniformed.

I think Dr. Doze's avatar says it all.

A great quote that I saw today...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work" -Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison never said that. It was Benjamin Franklin and he said, "Opportunity is often missed because it comes dressed as hard work."

You need to educate yourself on the current state of our "bipartisan politics". If you honestly think that Romney's policies are any more financially sound than Obama's, you're woefully uniformed.

If you think Romney and Obama will appoint similarly aligned Supreme Court Justices and federal judges, you're being deliberately obtuse. Even if you think there will be little or no difference in their actual budgets (which on a macro scale is certainly true), that 1/3 of the federal government will be shaped by the next president.

And even if RON PAUL or some other libertarian superhero gets elected in 2016, he's going to be stuck with the Court our next president leaves him.

Anyway, go ahead and pout in the Bahamas, and pretend your Ohio vote doesn't matter.

If you think Romney and Obama will appoint similarly aligned Supreme Court Justices and federal judges, you're being deliberately obtuse. Even if you think there will be little or no difference in their actual budgets (which on a macro scale is certainly true), that 1/3 of the federal government will be shaped by the next president.

And even if RON PAUL or some other libertarian superhero gets elected in 2016, he's going to be stuck with the Court our next president leaves him.

Anyway, go ahead and pout in the Bahamas, and pretend your Ohio vote doesn't matter.

Oh come on, we all gave the same song and dance about supreme court justices last election. Tell me one life altering supreme court decision that has occurred since Obamas last justice appointment.

Oh come on, we all gave the same song and dance about supreme court justices last election. Tell me one life altering supreme court decision that has occurred since Obamas last justice appointment.

The Affordable Care Act?

Heller & McDonald were 5-4 decisions. During the confirmation hearings for Sotomayor, she specifically said she would respect stare decisis and considered Heller (incorporation of the 2nd Amendment in the District of Columbia) as settled law. And then she turned around and voted with the dissent in McDonald - a dissent that actually argued for Heller to be overturned.

To the Senate: "I understand the individual right fully that the Supreme Court recognized in Heller."

In her dissent to McDonald: "In sum, the Framers did not write the Second Amendment in order to protect a private right of armed self defense."

Two nearly identical cases concerning a civil right.

If Obama gets another turn, he'll likely appoint two more. FOUR Supreme Court Justices who will likely serve through the 2020s if not 2030s. The silver lining is that the two Justices likely to retire in the next four years are similarly aligned, so the balance of the Court isn't likely to shift - in the short term.

Do you really think the Supreme Court doesn't matter? Do you really think, given the massive financial and strategic problems that have been snowballing since 2006ish that there won't be any "life altering supreme court decisions" in the next 2 or 3 decades?

Can you really not think more than a couple years into the future?

If you don't like Romney, fine. If you think think he'll make no better or worse a president than Obama, fine. Vote for the side that you think will nominate two Justices you'd prefer in the next term.

Or don't vote - but don't pretend it doesn't matter, or that there's any kind of teenage emo nobility in withholding your vote. That's just lazy, ignorant, and childish. I don't know what else to say.

We've already resorted to name-calling?

Where?

I said refusing to vote was lazy teenage emo ignorance. I'm not specifically saying YOU are lazy, just that everyone who doesn't vote is lazy, and unfortunately it appears that group might include you. I don't mean to offend you, but it's incredibly frustrating to hear people say elections don't matter. I think it's foolish, counterproductive, and wrong, and I have this uncontrollable urge to point out how foolish and wrong I think those people are. It's a character flaw. My apologies.

ETA - I do tend to be verbose and overly sarcastic/snarky at times :), it really isn't my desire to stifle discussion with people who disagree with me, however wrong they may be. I really don't intend any offense.

Last edited:
Where?

I said refusing to vote was lazy teenage emo ignorance. I'm not specifically saying YOU are lazy, just that everyone who doesn't vote is lazy, and unfortunately it appears that group might include you. I don't mean to offend you, but it's incredibly frustrating to hear people say elections don't matter. I think it's foolish, counterproductive, and wrong, and I have this uncontrollable urge to point out how foolish and wrong I think those people are. It's a character flaw. My apologies.

ETA - I do tend to be verbose and overly sarcastic/snarky at times :), it really isn't my desire to stifle discussion with people who disagree with me, however wrong they may be. I really don't intend any offense.

I live in SC, there's no point in me voting in the presidential election because we all know how its going to turn out down here.

Where?

I admit to an increasing amount of apathy when it comes to politics. I hate feeling as if, time and again, I'm voting for the lesser of two "evils"....

Sure. How long will it last once the Obama "fiscal cliff" hits in January? Massive tax increases, automatic Spending cuts and the most liberal President in my lifetime. I'm sure small businesses just can't wait until Obama wins the election.

First off, it's not his fiscal cliff, it's the result of the Congress's inability to legislate on anything. The whole point of sequestration was that both sides had something to bargain for. Rs, presumably, would not stomach defense cuts while Ds would not stomach domestic cuts. That forced both sides to put skin in the game. The Rs, then, felt that Norquist was more important than the fiscal health of the country and so they let sequestration follow through.

Secondly, the other half of the fiscal cliff is the expiration of the Bush tax cuts, which is widely seen by economists on both sides as being an absolutely terrible policy which is responsible for the vast bulk of the current deficit. Remember, under Bush's 6-7 years of leadership, we were running 800+ billion dollar deficits. He simply hid 300-500 billion dollars of deficit spending as "emergency spending" which is not subject to congressional oversight.

Finally, to balance the budget, we need some sort of tax increase and spending cuts. I don't see why conservatives are so out of whack with respect to the fiscal cliff. Doesn't it do exactly what you guys want? It cuts the government, comes closer to balancing the budget and reduces the long-term deficit. It's a conservative's wet dream. You can't have it both ways and then cry that the deficit is out of control.

I live in SC, there's no point in me voting in the presidential election because we all know how its going to turn out down here.

I can sympathize, I'm in CA right now and lots of people I know feel the same. I'll vote via absentee ballot in Virginia.

Although I can see the rationale behind the Electoral College, I'm not convinced we're really better off with it. The intent certainly wasn't that 40+ states would be mostly ignored by candidates during elections.

gasattack3 said:
I admit to an increasing amount of apathy when it comes to politics. I hate feeling as if, time and again, I'm voting for the lesser of two "evils"....

I think it beats passively accepting the greater of two evils.

First off, it's not his fiscal cliff, it's the result of the Congress's inability to legislate on anything. .

PUHLEEZE - Maobama had two years of a Democratically controlled congress including a supermajority in the Senate. He got what he wanted and/or could have gotten everything he wanted.

We've already resorted to name-calling?

I'm out, you win.

No vote = no right to bitch about the outcome. You have to at least participate in the process.

No vote = no right to bitch about the outcome. You have to at least participate in the process.

I think that apathy is an important middle ground in between either party, and its vital for keeping democracy honest. When everyone votes the outcome of the election basically only represents the independents, since everyone else will just vote with their prejudices. I don't think a lot of Republicans are going to be convinced that their candidate is sleazy enough to make them vote Democrat, or vice versa. On the other hand I think that a Republican or Democrat, seeing they have a disappointing candidate, IS perfectly capable of skipping the election and catching up on the Simpsons. That's what allows candidates to run from a non-centerest position: an enthused base can turn out as many extra votes as a middle ground appeal to independents.

Not voting can be as well informed and political a decision as casting a ballot.

Not voting can be as well informed and political a decision as casting a ballot.

There are other people to vote for besides Republican and Democrat, although of course they have zero chance of winning (unless and until there is a presidential run-off election for the top two vote-getters in a primary, which will never happen). Simply riding the fence is the wimp's way out. All it gets you is a sore ass.

Again - not voting is laziness. Not participating as some kind of political statement is a cop out. The truth is you can't be bothered to vote.

There are other candidates on the ballot for other positions. Representatives, Senators, local politicians, city comptrollers, school board members, whatever. Even if you think the election for the top position for President of the United States is a contest between a douche and a turd sandwich, there are other people who are probably worth voting for. The local people who win will probably have a greater impact on your daily life than the President does anyway.

It makes no sense to refrain from voting in any of the local/state elections out of spite for the presidential candidates. Surely there's SOMEBODY in some election who's not a complete loser, that you'd prefer over the opponents. And as long as you're there voting for a sheriff or a mayor, hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils at the top.

If at that point, as you're standing there in the booth, you STILL think you'd rather not vote for the douche or the turd sandwich, and choose to leave that spot blank, so be it. I think that would still be a silly and futile gesture, but I won't call you lazy. :)

120913_obama-wave-4x3.photoblog600.jpg

Ed Andrieski / AP
President Barack Obama waves after speaking at a campaign rally in Golden, Colo., Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012.

These states – all of which Obama carried in 2008 but which George W. Bush won in 2004 – represent three of the most crucial battlegrounds in the 2012 presidential election. And according to NBC's electoral map, Romney likely needs to capture at least two of these states, if not all three, to secure the 270 electoral votes necessary to win the presidency.
By comparison, Obama can reach 270 by winning just one or two of these battlegrounds – on top of the other states already considered to be in his column.
(Obama also has an additional path to victory without any of these three states if he wins the toss-up contests of Colorado, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.)
What's particularly striking about these polls, Miringoff observes, is how most voters in these battleground states have already made up their minds, with just 5 to 6 percent saying they're undecided, and with more than 80 percent signaling that they strongly support their candidate.

These states – all of which Obama carried in 2008 but which George W. Bush won in 2004 – represent three of the most crucial battlegrounds in the 2012 presidential election. And according to NBC’s electoral map, Romney likely needs to capture at least two of these states, if not all three, to secure the 270 electoral votes necessary to win the presidency.
By comparison, Obama can reach 270 by winning just one or two of these battlegrounds – on top of the other states already considered to be in his column.
(Obama also has an additional path to victory without any of these three states if he wins the toss-up contests of Colorado, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.)
What’s particularly striking about these polls, Miringoff observes, is how most voters in these battleground states have already made up their minds, with just 5 to 6 percent saying they’re undecided, and with more than 80 percent signaling that they strongly support their candidate.

So Obama is on his way to victory? :mad: Thanks to Romney btw, who cannot inspire himself let alone an electorate. Man, I am more pissed at the GOP than Obama at this point. If the economy is in shambles and the president is in such low ratings, then why the hell is he not getting blown out by now. Btw, I am hearing the Romney team is expecting a boost from the debates. Really? Romney does better when his money and adds are talking for him, not his mouth. Dammit, now I feel like an idiot for supporting him in the primaries. Sorry guys, rant over.

So Obama is on his way to victory? :mad: Thanks to Romney btw, who cannot inspire himself let alone an electorate. Man, I am more pissed at the GOP than Obama at this point. If the economy is in shambles and the president is in such low ratings, then why the hell is he not getting blown out by now. Btw, I am hearing the Romney team is expecting a boost from the debates. Really? Romney does better when his money and adds are talking for him, not his mouth. Dammit, now I feel like an idiot for supporting him in the primaries. Sorry guys, rant over.

I don't think Obama is the Democrat's George W, but I will agree that Romney seems to be the GOP's John Kerry.