Volunteering overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitalfortress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched for this topic, and I can't seem to find an answer that I'm looking for. Frankly, I don't think too highly of how volunteering movements for my personal reasons, but I'm really trying to get some experience as to how dentists interact with the patients and the techniques and skills that comes with it. Seeing these things, let alone trying it out for yourself albeit with limited responsibilities and under dentist's supervision is a lot to ask for here. I'm fairly certain there are are legit organizations that lets you do that in the third-world countries, especially with children as I do have interest in pediatric dentistry. Most of the volunteering I hear about don't let you get exposed to these things unless you're already a student from dental program or a certified dentist. Have anyone experienced something like this, and which organization did you go with?

There is one that I managed to find, but the participation involvement depends on so many different factors. Consent from the patient (or his/her parents), which is skeptical as they would prefer their dental care to be as professional as possible like anyone else. It's not like it's cheaper if I'm involved. It also depends on my qualification, which is something I'm not so confident about as an undergrad student.

LEVEL II – Oral Health Preventative Service- Team members with appropriate training, as determined by the standards of the in-country dental educational community, may assist, under supervision, in various aspects of dental prophylaxis (fluoridation, manual cleanings, etc). Independent activity in this area may be approved with pre-training and meeting in-country standards.

I've heard that some pre-dental students had a chance to get trained and act as dental assistant (or be able to try it out from time to time). Am I pushing it, or maybe there's a good protocol to go about with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmmm... did not thought about the moral implication. I'm gonna have to think about this.