Volunteering at Hospitals

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do when you volunteer?

I'm doing lobby desk...so I tell people where certain things are (people ask for radiology and lab the most...and the lab is right next to the lobby desk xD), wheel people up from surgery, call for rediwheels, yea that's pretty much it. Apparently all volunteer positions for high schoolers are boring in this hospital...

And does it get any better when you're an undergrad and volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but most of medicine is exactly *that* boring.

:cool:

Oh cmon, examining patients/surgery and stuff has to be more interesting than making phone calls and giving directions.

And the other spots are basically playing with little kids (not very good at that), filing stuff, or cleaning up (ER)

Members don't see this ad :)
85% of medicine is paperwork
13% of medicine is dealing with whiny people
2% of medicine is the cool stuff

What do you guys do when you volunteer?

I'm doing lobby desk...so I tell people where certain things are (people ask for radiology and lab the most...and the lab is right next to the lobby desk xD), wheel people up from surgery, call for rediwheels, yea that's pretty much it. Apparently all volunteer positions for high schoolers are boring in this hospital...

And does it get any better when you're an undergrad and volunteering?

I have volunteered in multiple places.

I volunteer in the ER. I basically bring stretchers to triage. Put people in wheelchairs and bring them up to wherever it is that they need to go. I also work in the lab, so I do lab runs. Organize blood banks cards, put glassware away. File.

One day when I wasn't doing anything I actually got to work with this lady and help her with doing something with urine samples, this was like a year ago and I forget what the hell I did but it was cool.

I also worked in Radiology. I organized an entire file room in a whole summer. Erm, I did lots of stuff with patient X Rays, printing labels, putting them into the system. That was kind of boring and what annoyed me was when I work in Radiology I felt like I did just as much work as the Techs who were getting paid.

They were nice though, probably because I literally did every single thing that they didn't want to do themselves that summer.
-----------------------------------------------------
Honestly, not all hospitals are like that. I am fortunate to be a volunteer at a decent size (for a local hospital it is) hospital. You are giving this 70 page book that is essentially just a bunch of HS volunteer forms filled out by any dept that wants a HS volunteer.
----------
As far as does it get any better.

No. It doesn't. Seriously, the pre meds do more or less the same crap I do. It is just something that you need to do for medical school. Most of the pre meds who DO volunteer, volunteer in the ER.

I think doing research, shadowing, and getting really good clinical experience is key in getting into a top MS.

Do what you like though. You don't want to look like a cookie cutter applicant to med schools, that goes for any medical school, not just the name brands.

I clean rooms, go to retrieve supplies, transport patients to their OR, and occasionally get to watch surgeries.

I don't know about you guys but all that sounds awesome to me.

I don't know about you guys but all that sounds awesome to me.

It is awesome. But sometimes it can get very boring because a high school volunteer can only do so much unfortunately.

The hospital I volunteer at is small...it's actually a health center.

It seems like you guys do a lot more stuff. Maybe I should try to get a spot in the ER during the summer, when there's more room in the program. Perhaps something interesting may come up, but not really, since ER is just for minor events. =/

It seems like you guys do a lot more stuff. Maybe I should try to get a spot in the ER during the summer, when there's more room in the program. Perhaps something interesting may come up, but not really, since ER is just for minor events. =/

Stick with your current volunteer position, I'm just saying, you might have less opportunities, and you do b/c it is a small place.

If you have a big hospital nearby then maybe try there? That is what you have to look into, otherwise I would just keep you volunteer position you have now or volunteer somewhere else, if you want.
---
Don't volunteer in the ER unless you have the stomach for it. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just saying. I quit after my first day there but then went back to it. I think the reason I cut the ER position after the first day was they expected me to literally know where everything was (Level II trauma center) literally on the first day.

I didn't even know how to operate a stretcher. What sucked even more was that there was no other volunteer there. They were like "Oh, you are the only volunteer here today, good luck, we are pretty busy."

I was like "Oh, well isn't that fantastic!" But like I said, I went back to it a few weeks later. Everybody understood.

If all you want are easy hours, then keep your job. If not, look elsewhere because your job sounds easy but kind of boring.

That is how I felt when I started volunteering. I want easy hours but I don't feel like not doing anything. If that makes sense.

if you want to a more *exciting* experience

1) work at a small free clinic
2) work in the ER when they are busiest and need all the hands they can get (often this is at night but depends on the hospital)
3) work in a place that lets you watch codes, traumas, etc while you are shelving/filing/whatever

Everyone has to be at the bottom of the totem pole to start...but there is amazing stuff going on and you don't have to miss out on it! :) Find a resident who isn't busy and see if they'll let you follow them around when they assess patients (don't ask any questions in front of the patients).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be volunteering in the Activity Center at my local children's hospital. When I interviewed for a spot and was given two options(the Activity Center, or the Same Day Surgery playroom) I asked where else high school volunteers worked, and it sounded like they all did pretty much the same stuff(play with kids), just in different places(ex: Radiology waiting room, outpatient clinics etc.).

However, I don't know what it's like at the about 15 other hospitals in my area.

I do volunteer work at a medium sized hospital in the Emergency Department (no trauma unit:(), and for me its 90% patient oriented, talking, getting them checked in, cleaning, taking them up to the inpatient floors, calling cabs, etc.

So it just really depends on the hospitals program.

If you have a big hospital nearby then maybe try there? That is what you have to look into, otherwise I would just keep you volunteer position you have now or volunteer somewhere else, if you want.
I'm gonna stick with my spot...I'm going to try to get into ER during the summer. Hopefully something exciting will come up xD

If all you want are easy hours, then keep your job. If not, look elsewhere because your job sounds easy but kind of boring.
I'm hoping my time there will eventually get me better spots

if you want to a more *exciting* experience

1) work at a small free clinic
2) work in the ER when they are busiest and need all the hands they can get (often this is at night but depends on the hospital)
3) work in a place that lets you watch codes, traumas, etc while you are shelving/filing/whatever

Everyone has to be at the bottom of the totem pole to start...but there is amazing stuff going on and you don't have to miss out on it! :) Find a resident who isn't busy and see if they'll let you follow them around when they assess patients (don't ask any questions in front of the patients).
1) The ones around my area are only for certified doctors/nurses
2) Unfortunately, the hospital I'm at only accepts minor emergencies and the larger ones around it only offers ER positions to people 18+
3) I don't think that exactly happens...

Yea, I know. Just liked to point out my circumstances to see if anyone can come up with something ;)

Have you thought about trying something a little further away from your immediate area?

well I see you're in California. There are a LOT of free clinics in the urban areas, and ample opportunities in more rural areas but that probably requires a little more networking. Are you sure you've covered every single clinic around you? They may not be listed in the phone book or open every day. Often the ones for the homeless are combined with rehab/recovery centers. You might get to assist with taking vitals/patient histories.

Additionally if you speak another language you might be able to help translate, this is a skill needed in hospitals everywhere.

edit: just reread your post, if you're under 18 there may be numerous restrictions on where hospitals let you volunteer. This is yet another reason to go small and get the direct permission of a doctor you know rather than calling the volunteer department.

I think at this point your best bet is shadowing, which can be a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Have you thought about trying something a little further away from your immediate area?
Yes, I have, but it just doesn't work out too well during the school year. The current place I volunteer at is just 20 min (walking, I can't drive yet...only 15 years old :() and I volunteer right after school, so that's handy for me. I just called a few places a bit further away and 2 seem to allow high schoolers to volunteer in ER, so I'm investigating on that.

I volunteer in the ER as well. Quite interesting actually. ER staff members are REALLY self-sufficient (depending on the type of hospital. An overburdened one may keep a volunteer super busy), so they don't really 'need' the volunteers that much. Which gives me plenty of time to tag along with the nurses and docs. :D
That sounds awesome! I bet it's a good experience to watch them work?

well I see you're in California. There are a LOT of free clinics here in the urban areas, and ample opportunities in more rural areas but that probably requires a little more networking. Are you sure you've covered every single clinic around you? They may not be listed in the phone book or open every day. Often the ones for the homeless are combined with rehab/recovery centers. You might get to assist with taking vitals/patient histories.

Additionally if you speak another language you might be able to help translate, this is a skill need in hospitals everywhere.

edit: just reread your post, if you're under 18 there may be numerous restrictions on where hospitals let you volunteer. This is yet another reason to go small and get the direct permission of a doctor you know rather than calling the volunteer department. If all else fails you could take an EMT course which will let you start practicing that when you're 18.

I think at this point your best bet is shadowing, which can be a lot of fun!
I think I covered most of them in my area, and the nonclerical/more patient
contact ones are usually for age 18+. The clinics only allow certified docs/nurses. I speak chinese, but not that well. I have trouble translating medical terms. :oops: I'm looking into shadowing some podiatrists right now, hopefully some work out :) What did you mean by going small and getting direct permission of a doctor?

Yes, I have, but it just doesn't work out too well during the school year. The current place I volunteer at is just 20 min (walking, I can't drive yet...only 15 years old :() and I volunteer right after school, so that's handy for me. I just called a few places a bit further away and 2 seem to allow high schoolers to volunteer in ER, so I'm investigating on that.

I would definitely try that if you can... most of the summer programs are geared towards high schoolers who only work summers anyways.

Ask your parents if they have any friends are doctors, nurses, or techs, or know people who know them. If that doesn't work you could try asking your primary care physician to recommend a few doctors to shadow when you go there for an appointment (say for a physical). Just mention you're really interested in medicine and would love an opportunity to volunteer in a clinical setting where you can observe docs treating patients for ___ (whatever specialty interests you. FWIW, even the trauma in the ED gets kinda old...so if it's pediatrics or surgery that excites you, don't be afraid to mention those departments!) Not every doctor will say yes, but if you emphasize how willing you are to help out you should eventually find someone that says yes. Everyone likes free labor :D

It's cool that you speak Chinese! If you have some background you might be able to take a medical language course. I'm guessing many Chinese speakers don't know all of the medical terms either (most Americans don't know American medical terms!), so see if you can find a medical translating course--often these are at community colleges. Getting certified will allow you to eventually obtain a paying job :) I don't have any experience with this so that's about all I can tell you, but if you notice a doctor speaking Chinese and they're not busy, you could ask them about this stuff :)
Good luck!

Ask your parents if they have any friends are doctors, nurses, or techs, or know people who know them. If that doesn't work you could try asking your primary care physician to recommend a few doctors to shadow when you go there for an appointment (say for a physical). Just mention you're really interested in medicine and would love an opportunity to volunteer in a clinical setting where you can observe docs treating patients for ___ (whatever specialty interests you. FWIW, even the trauma in the ED gets kinda old...so if it's pediatrics or surgery that excites you, don't be afraid to mention those departments!) Not every doctor will say yes, but if you emphasize how willing you are to help out you should eventually find someone that says yes. Everyone likes free labor :D
Good idea. My parents just know a bunch of dentists...but I'm interested in surgery/podiatry. I have an appointment with my pediatrician (back pains!!! :mad:) so I think I can ask her then :)

It's cool that you speak Chinese! If you have some background you might be able to take a medical language course. I'm guessing many Chinese speakers don't know all of the medical terms either (most Americans don't know American medical terms!), so see if you can find a medical translating course--often these are at community colleges. Getting certified will allow you to eventually obtain a paying job :) I don't have any experience with this so that's about all I can tell you, but if you notice a doctor speaking Chinese and they're not busy, you could ask them about this stuff :)
Good luck!
Interesting, I never knew that courses like that existed. I'll look into that too

Yea, my friend basically does that at the same hospital I go to. The plus of that is that she played Wii for 2 hours once, to amuse the seniors xD