Volunteer Work in order to have a hook for personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brooke12

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With PRS being so competitive, and PD's placing little to no emphasis on extracurricular activities, it seems grades and board scores are what define applicants most in the selection process. But still, it's really hard for some to answer the "why PRS" question in a personal statement. I have an opportunity to do some volunteer work with some PRS docs who work with kids with debilitating issues. While the extracurricular activity won't impress PD's directly, it can indirectly help me by providing a convincing hook in my personal statement down the road as to how my interest in PRS developed. Would you guys give up 4 weeks of your time, unpaid, to get a hook for your personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that the only reason you want to do it? For a "hook"?

I think it's a great idea if you can convince yourself that you actually care about helping these children and will be able to write and speak about this experience with sincerity. It won't really help as a "hook" and probably be a waste of time if you're not able to feign sincerity and really convince yourself that you feel compassionate about this work.