GS then failure to attract US Plastic Surgery fellowship; how do international options work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pothos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A common contingency plan for those whose scores fall short of current Step 1 (or publications, LORs, interview performance etc) is to go GS then the 3 year US plastic fellowship.

I am mindful that 'they' have been saying there will be an all integrated pathway for a long time without fully converting, and that a few programs even revert back when integrated is not suiting them well.

However, in the event that there becomes an inextricable bottleneck - if the # of programs offering the 3yr PS fellowship really go low or in a sweeping reform all go over to integrated (not sure how likely either is but want a notion of what options would exist)... What about European, Canadian, Australian or other first-world fellowship options? How would 1) boarding; 2) priviliges; 3) academic employment opportunities; 4) private practice employment opportunities work if you went down that road? Would you be stonewalled if you returned to the US, would the fact that you can board GS from US allow you to not be stonewalled for plastic surgery type priviliges, etc?

Also if anyone knows the relative competitiveness and disposition toward taking US trained GS's, that would help. There might be very little interest in that sort of thing for all I know. Maybe their training system is set up such that that type of fellowship training wouldn't work (you'd have to do over the entire residency in plastic surgery)? Maybe it differs country by country - probably, actually. I'm looking for ideas as well as sources, totally uninformed and looking for the right direction to search for answers. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.