This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh. I am stressing. My VMCAS gpa is way lower than what I had calculated. (Goodbye to any acceptance letters) Has anyone else had an issue with this? I hate this system.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I'm feeling a little discouraged here and was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience and if/how you fixed it.

A little backstory: I am a non-traditional first time applicant. I have a previous Bachelor's degree in addition to the one I will be receiving when I graduate in December. However before I entered the Pre-Vet track (Spring 2017), I did a semester (Fall 2017) in the Vet Nursing program at the same uni I will be receiving my second Bachelor's from. Because it is a 2-year program, whereas Pre-Vet is a 4-year program, when I switched to the 4-year, it's on my transcript like I transferred from another institution. BUT I DIDN'T. IT'S THE SAME SCHOOL, JUST A DIFFERENT COLLEGE WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY. This coursework is included in my official transcript from my university. Some classes even count as electives for my current degree.

Because this semester is on my university transcript, I did not separate it out into two separate institutions, again, because it is the same school, just a different college within the school. Unfortunately, because it shows up on my transcript as a "transfer" VMCAS thinks that it's another institution and has sent my application back to me to input this semester as a separate institution. Additionally, they commented that it was too late to send additional transcripts and that "Please also note, your application will not be verified this cycle." Does this mean I'm SOL this time around? I'm going to be very upset if this affects my chances of getting into school as they have my transcripts for everything, there is no separate transcript for my semester in the Vet Tech program.

I do plan on calling them today and trying to straighten things out, but I was just curious if anyone had experienced this and if it was fixable.
Any advice is welcome, I'm just stressing out right now and needed to see what others thought!

What a stressful situation.

I had a similar experience the previous year. I only took one course on a college that was within my school and my school told me that the course was going to appear in my transcripts. However, VMCAS told me that they could not verified my application for the same reason they told you. Thankfully, I had submitted the application early and was able to send the other transcripts in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a stressful situation.

I had a similar experience the previous year. I only took one course on a college that was within my school and my school told me that the course was going to appear in my transcripts. However, VMCAS told me that they could not verified my application for the same reason they told you. Thankfully, I had submitted the application early and was able to send the other transcripts in time.

I believe that if in your situation, your college does not provide separate transcripts, you should contact VMCAS to make them aware of this and maybe they will make an exception or find a solution.

I hope they can help you on this situation! I know how stressful it is.

Ugh. I am stressing. My VMCAS gpa is way lower than what I had calculated. (Goodbye to any acceptance letters) Has anyone else had an issue with this? I hate this system.
Mine did the same! It dropped me about 1.5 points. I think this is because my institution does grade replacement, and VMCAS does not.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I'm feeling a little discouraged here and was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience and if/how you fixed it.

A little backstory: I am a non-traditional first time applicant. I have a previous Bachelor's degree in addition to the one I will be receiving when I graduate in December. However before I entered the Pre-Vet track (Spring 2017), I did a semester (Fall 2017) in the Vet Nursing program at the same uni I will be receiving my second Bachelor's from. Because it is a 2-year program, whereas Pre-Vet is a 4-year program, when I switched to the 4-year, it's on my transcript like I transferred from another institution. BUT I DIDN'T. IT'S THE SAME SCHOOL, JUST A DIFFERENT COLLEGE WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY. This coursework is included in my official transcript from my university. Some classes even count as electives for my current degree.

Because this semester is on my university transcript, I did not separate it out into two separate institutions, again, because it is the same school, just a different college within the school. Unfortunately, because it shows up on my transcript as a "transfer" VMCAS thinks that it's another institution and has sent my application back to me to input this semester as a separate institution. Additionally, they commented that it was too late to send additional transcripts and that "Please also note, your application will not be verified this cycle." Does this mean I'm SOL this time around? I'm going to be very upset if this affects my chances of getting into school as they have my transcripts for everything, there is no separate transcript for my semester in the Vet Tech program.

I do plan on calling them today and trying to straighten things out, but I was just curious if anyone had experienced this and if it was fixable.
Any advice is welcome, I'm just stressing out right now and needed to see what others thought!
Do they happen to be on the same transcript or two separate transcripts?

Mine also dropped by ~1.5 points, which is bad cus I've been feeling sufficient this whole time. feeling like it mattered a lot especially when my GPA is like borderline.

Yes!! Mine is quite a bit lower than I had thought!!

Same here! So discouraging!

This happens to people every year. It's usually because you retook classes and your school only counts the second attempt but VMCAS counts them all. (Also the VMCAS calculated "science GPA" is frequently not calculated from the same classes the schools will end using but that's usually not the one people are worried about).

Ultimately, your VMCAS GPA really doesn't matter. What matters is how the school(s) you applied to calculates GPAs.If they calculate it the same way VMCAS does then maybe you're in trouble if your VMCAS GPA is way lower than you anticipated. If they do grade replacement, then you're probably fine (or at least, in the same boat you thought you were in to begin with). If you don't know how the school(s) you applied to calculate GPAs the information is often available on their websites. Alternatively you could call and ask.

Reactions: 8 users
Update:

I contacted VMCAS via the chat on their customer service website and was able to talk to someone about it! My coursework from the Vet Tech program was, in fact, on my official uni transcript and they did not need another transcript from me. Within an hour they had fixed my application and I just got verified this afternoon! I'm so happy that I reached out to them, they were really helpful and accommodating :)

Thanks to everyone who responded to help eliminate my stress, best of luck to everyone who's applied this cycle!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Update:

I contacted VMCAS via the chat on their customer service website and was able to talk to someone about it! My coursework from the Vet Tech program was, in fact, on my official uni transcript and they did not need another transcript from me. Within an hour they had fixed my application and I just got verified this afternoon! I'm so happy that I reached out to them, they were really helpful and accommodating :)

Thanks to everyone who responded to help eliminate my stress, best of luck to everyone who's applied this cycle!

I am very glad! Best of lucks!!

This exact thing happened to me last cycle! Don’t worry most school are very understanding and will let you send that transcript directly to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine did to and I'm over here stressing

Mine did to and I'm over here stressing
I calculated my own cumulative GPA using excel. I added up the grade points earned from all institutions I attended and divided that by my total grade points attempted at all institutions. My primary undergrad did grade replacement so I made sure to add those attempted units back in. My calculated GPA was exactly what VMCAS calculated, so I would recommend to others that you do this in the future if you want to make sure you meet a minimum GPA requirement before submitting your application!

Reactions: 2 users
I calculated my own cumulative GPA using excel. I added up the grade points earned from all institutions I attended and divided that by my total grade points attempted at all institutions. My primary undergrad did grade replacement so I made sure to add those attempted units back in. My calculated GPA was exactly what VMCAS calculated, so I would recommend to others that you do this in the future if you want to make sure you meet a minimum GPA requirement before submitting your application!
I did that too but didn’t account for the fact that vmcas converts quarter system credits to semester. I think that account for the difference I’m seeing.

Still waiting to be verified :( Submitted an hour before the deadline.... If I have to re-apply next cycle I am going to listen to all of the recommendations telling people to submit EARLY... This is killing me!

I had calculated my science GPA as at least a 3.07, VMCAS calculated it for me and I'm at 2.88. Imagine the disappointment, frustration, and anger about this....especially when I learned through a rejection email from one of the unis I applied to. However, even though I am still salty, I am trying to move forward and remember that I still have many more schools who haven't rejected me yet. It's a discouraging thing yes, but keep positive and know that you did your best and as long as you try, don't give up, and continue to strive for your dreams, you'll make it!

Reactions: 4 users
I was going to post this in the List of List thread, but this list seems more relevant here since it is just for this cycle. I find comfort in deadlines and Excel sheets (obviously), so I thought I would share the information I have compiled into this list. Feel free to edit and add in the information regarding interviews/decisions for the other schools you know of but these are the ones I have information on and looked up previous threads. Anyways, just thought I would share in case anyone else was curious

Program
How to check application status
Interviews?
Estimated Interview Dates
Estimated Decision Released
Other Information About Program
Colorado State University​
No​
N/A​
January​
Oct 12: VMCAS applications pulled Oct 31: VMCAS LOR and Applications downloaded​
Louisiana State University​
Yes, not sure online or in-person​
TENTATIVE Interview Dates for 2021: January 20th - January 27th (AR, LA, and Puerto Rico) *Notified by Late December*​
Not on website but from previous cycles: Feb 18 (IS) Dec 20 (OOS) [c/o 2024] Feb 13 (IS) Jan 7 (OOS0 [c/o 2023] May 1 (IS) and Dec 21 (OOS) [c/o 2022] Feb 15 (IS) and Dec 16 (OOS) [c/o 2021]​
Arkansas may receive and interview or acceptance during the interview announcements​
Michigan State University​
N/A​
Substituted with CASPer​
Oct 13, 2020 - 8:00 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2020 - 5:00 PM EDT
Nov 17, 2020 - 8:00 PM EST
Dec 10, 2020 - 5:00 PM EST​
Not on the website but from previous cycles: a rolling system of interviews/rejections, acceptances offered at various times​
Failure to submit CASPer by Dec 10 results in an automatic denial​
Mississippi State University​
N/A​
Online​
Sept. 24 Oct. 15 Dec. 3 Dec. 17 Feb. 4 (IS)​
Some acceptance letters will be sent during Fall 2020, but all admissions decisions will be made by late February​
Interviews offered on a rolling basis, the interview is required for admissions, expect a minimum 3-week notification before the interview date​
Oklahoma State University​
N/A​
IS residents only​
Mid Feb​
End of Jan (OOS) End of Feb (IS)​
CASPer due Dec 10​
Purdue University​
see link sent from email​
On-Campus​
Last two Fridays of Jan-- 22nd and 29th​
Not on website but from previous cycles INTERVIEW annoucements: Dec 13 (OOS/IS/Rejections) [c/o 2024] Dec 15 (OOS/IS/Rejections) [c/o 2023] Dec 15 (OOS/IS//Rejections) [c/o 2022]

Acceptance Announcements: Feb 14th, Feb 10th from previous threads​
CASPer the Last Date to take Oct 13 Last Date to send scores Oct 26 Interviews: typically sent the last day of Purdue finals... Dec 12, 2020​
University of Missouri​
N/A​
Yes, not sue online or in-person​
OOS Early Jan 2021 IS Feb-March 2021​
Not on website but from previous cycles: Jan 30 (OOS) Mar 18 (IS) [c/o 2024] Feb 1 (OOS) Mar 20 (IS) [c/o 2023] Feb 1 (OOS) Mar 29 (IS) [c/o 2022]​
All Missouri applicants who meet minimum requirements get an interview. OOS are notified by mid-November of interview decisions (Nov 21, 19, 20)​
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine​
N/A​
No​
N/A​
Late November/Early December is the goal for the 2020-2021 cycle​

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I’ve started some shadowing with the vet at the wildlife rehab I’m interning at. I’d like to get it entered in VMCAS ASAP to have the best chance of schools seeing it before they make any decisions. I did the first day this morning and plan to continue doing a few hours per week, but it won’t be a regular schedule since it will depend on my work schedule. I’m assuming that since we can’t edit submitted experiences, we also won’t be able to edit new experiences after we enter them (?)

Should I enter today’s experience now, then make additional entries as I do them? Enter today’s with a note that I will continue to do more, then add in the rest as a second entry once I’ve finished? Enter my expected hours now with a note that actual hours might not be the same?

I’ve started some shadowing with the vet at the wildlife rehab I’m interning at. I’d like to get it entered in VMCAS ASAP to have the best chance of schools seeing it before they make any decisions. I did the first day this morning and plan to continue doing a few hours per week, but it won’t be a regular schedule since it will depend on my work schedule. I’m assuming that since we can’t edit submitted experiences, we also won’t be able to edit new experiences after we enter them (?)

Should I enter today’s experience now, then make additional entries as I do them? Enter today’s with a note that I will continue to do more, then add in the rest as a second entry once I’ve finished? Enter my expected hours now with a note that actual hours might not be the same?

This is also something I would like to know. I started a job a few weeks ago working at a large urban veterinary hospital and would love to add those hours in. Is that something I could do now to get them counted towards my total hours? And then update the schools on VMCAS?

Hey!

I submitted the evening of September 15th and was verified yesterday, 10/7.

Hello hello! I submitted around 3pm on 9/15 and was verified on 10/5.

I know we just submitted our applications like a couple of weeks but this waiting game is already killing me!! Just end my misery already! :arghh:

Reactions: 2 users
yes! and just as I said it, ive been verified! to be fair, i submitted about 15 minutes before the deadline
That’s good news! I submitted early evening on the 15th. Hopefully I’ll be verified today or Monday.

*Edit* I’ve been verified! Yay!

Last edited:
I know we just submitted our applications like a couple of weeks but this waiting game is already killing me!! Just end my misery already! :arghh:
I feeeeel this big time. I check my email, junk email and school specific portals 3x a day at the minimum

I just got a promotion at work! Would it make sense to enter it as a new experience in VMCAS? Or should I just email and let schools know individually? I don't want to make it seem like in VMCAS that I have two separate full-time positions, but it should be fairly obvious what I mean (went from Veterinary Technician II to Veterinary Technician III)

I just got a promotion at work! Would it make sense to enter it as a new experience in VMCAS? Or should I just email and let schools know individually? I don't want to make it seem like in VMCAS that I have two separate full-time positions, but it should be fairly obvious what I mean (went from Veterinary Technician II to Veterinary Technician III)

I am also curious about this, as I just recently got credentialed as a CVT and am trying to figure out how to add it in...

Is anyone still waiting to be verified? I submitted by application september 2nd, says they are complete, but haven't gotten verified yet and I'm starting to worry....

Is anyone still waiting to be verified? I submitted by application september 2nd, says they are complete, but haven't gotten verified yet and I'm starting to worry....
I think you should contact VMCAS. Probably nothing to worry about, but most people who submitted then got verified in a couple days.

Wondering if someone had a list compiled for all the schools who have an external portal as a means to contact us regarding admission updates. I know Cornell and Iowa State are two I can list off the top of my head.

Wondering if someone had a list compiled for all the schools who have an external portal as a means to contact us regarding admission updates. I know Cornell and Iowa State are two I can list off the top of my head.
See my post in this thread for information about a few other schools, LSU, CSU and Purdue.

Hey guys! Super quick question. I just accepted a new job as a veterinary assistant at my university's teaching hospital, which I am totally stoked about! I want to put it on my experiences ASAP because I think it would really beef up my application to be gaining experience under the vets who work at the university I am applying to. I technically haven't had my first day of work yet since I just officially accepted, but do y'all think it would be appropriate to go ahead and add it to my experiences? And if so, what should I put down for the number of weeks?

Hi! I really need advice on a bad grade. I applied this cycle and this fall I took an accelerated statistics course and it looks like I’ll end up with a D+ or C- :(. I’m usually a straight A student I’ve never gotten a grade this low. I’ve only gotten a couple B’s all of undergrad. This class was only a pre-req for one school I applied to, but I’m worried it’s going to look bad on my part. I’ve had a really rough start to this semester, I had a big ankle surgery that had me down for a couple weeks and my fiancé deployed (military) for a year about a week later. I know it’s not an excuse, but it looks like I’ll get all A’s in the rest of my classes (biochem, physics, immunology, and physiology). I’m just really stressed about my statistics grade. I’m planning to retake it in the spring and I’m meeting with my advisor this week. My concern is if it’s going to affect my chances this cycle? I know some schools have already started reviewing applications. I applied to Iowa (IS), Illinois, Colorado, and Kansas.

Hi! I really need advice on a bad grade. I applied this cycle and this fall I took an accelerated statistics course and it looks like I’ll end up with a D+ or C- :(. I’m usually a straight A student I’ve never gotten a grade this low. I’ve only gotten a couple B’s all of undergrad. This class was only a pre-req for one school I applied to, but I’m worried it’s going to look bad on my part. I’ve had a really rough start to this semester, I had a big ankle surgery that had me down for a couple weeks and my fiancé deployed (military) for a year about a week later. I know it’s not an excuse, but it looks like I’ll get all A’s in the rest of my classes (biochem, physics, immunology, and physiology). I’m just really stressed about my statistics grade. I’m planning to retake it in the spring and I’m meeting with my advisor this week. My concern is if it’s going to affect my chances this cycle? I know some schools have already started reviewing applications. I applied to Iowa (IS), Illinois, Colorado, and Kansas.
Can you still withdraw from the class? This may be the best option if you’re planning to retake it anyway.

If at all possible, get a W for the class. The one bad grade in a sea of As wont be as bad as a whole semester worth of bad grades though. Without knowing the rest of your application, you should be in a good spot still as long as you're around average for everything else.

Agree with taking a W if you can. If you can't, the only school I'd be worried about is the one it's a pre-req for, you'll want to communicate to that school either way to let them know you're retaking the course so they know you plan to fill the requirement. The other thing is some schools make decisions before receiving fall transcripts anyway.

If you withdraw do you have time to retake it next semester? I am in a similar position with Organic, I've been maintaining a straight C but there are still two tests, therefore I was able to get a tutor and refocus, hopefully this will allow me to bring my grade up.

While I don't think a W will harm you, I think many of us have them somewhere on our Transcripts. I do think it is entirely possible to bring your grade up at this point in the semester. I would also consider if you have other difficult courses and how it could impact your semester if you retake it.

Goodluck!

Hey guys I would appreciate your input on a clerical error I made. One of the dates for an experience is listed as 3 years long on the VMCA app, when in reality I was only there for 3 months. I am not sure how that got past me. The hours worked are correct for 3 months of FT work.

Do I make a new experience section to draw attention and correct my error or do I just leave it? How big of a deal is this, and how much will that impact my chances realistically? Should I email the schools individually?

I noticed this while submitting a supplemental app for an international school. I have had interviews with LMU and SGU already and I am getting anxious thinking this one detail ruined my opportunity. For context I am applying to schools who value a more holistic approach, and I am a nontraditional applicant. I have 17 different experiences I listed, and 13 of those are college or work related.

I tried to login in to VMCAS and it isn’t giving me the normal login option. Is anyone else having an issue logging in?

I tried to login in to VMCAS and it isn’t giving me the normal login option. Is anyone else having an issue logging in?
This happens after the cycle closes. If you want copies of your application you have to email them. Otherwise you cannot access VMCAS again until next cycle.

I was going to post this in the List of List thread, but this list seems more relevant here since it is just for this cycle. I find comfort in deadlines and Excel sheets (obviously), so I thought I would share the information I have compiled into this list. Feel free to edit and add in the information regarding interviews/decisions for the other schools you know of but these are the ones I have information on and looked up previous threads. Anyways, just thought I would share in case anyone else was curious

Program
How to check application status
Interviews?
Estimated Interview Dates
Estimated Decision Released
Other Information About Program
Colorado State University​
No​
N/A​
January​
Oct 12: VMCAS applications pulled Oct 31: VMCAS LOR and Applications downloaded​
Louisiana State University​
Yes, not sure online or in-person​
TENTATIVE Interview Dates for 2021: January 20th - January 27th (AR, LA, and Puerto Rico) *Notified by Late December*​
Not on website but from previous cycles: Feb 18 (IS) Dec 20 (OOS) [c/o 2024] Feb 13 (IS) Jan 7 (OOS0 [c/o 2023] May 1 (IS) and Dec 21 (OOS) [c/o 2022] Feb 15 (IS) and Dec 16 (OOS) [c/o 2021]​
Arkansas may receive and interview or acceptance during the interview announcements​
Michigan State University​
N/A​
Substituted with CASPer​
Oct 13, 2020 - 8:00 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2020 - 5:00 PM EDT
Nov 17, 2020 - 8:00 PM EST
Dec 10, 2020 - 5:00 PM EST​
Not on the website but from previous cycles: a rolling system of interviews/rejections, acceptances offered at various times​
Failure to submit CASPer by Dec 10 results in an automatic denial​
Mississippi State University​
N/A​
Online​
Sept. 24 Oct. 15 Dec. 3 Dec. 17 Feb. 4 (IS)​
Some acceptance letters will be sent during Fall 2020, but all admissions decisions will be made by late February​
Interviews offered on a rolling basis, the interview is required for admissions, expect a minimum 3-week notification before the interview date​
Oklahoma State University​
N/A​
IS residents only​
Mid Feb​
End of Jan (OOS) End of Feb (IS)​
CASPer due Dec 10​
Purdue University​
see link sent from email​
On-Campus​
Last two Fridays of Jan-- 22nd and 29th​
Not on website but from previous cycles INTERVIEW annoucements: Dec 13 (OOS/IS/Rejections) [c/o 2024] Dec 15 (OOS/IS/Rejections) [c/o 2023] Dec 15 (OOS/IS//Rejections) [c/o 2022]

Acceptance Announcements: Feb 14th, Feb 10th from previous threads​
CASPer the Last Date to take Oct 13 Last Date to send scores Oct 26 Interviews: typically sent the last day of Purdue finals... Dec 12, 2020​
University of Missouri​
N/A​
Yes, not sue online or in-person​
OOS Early Jan 2021 IS Feb-March 2021​
Not on website but from previous cycles: Jan 30 (OOS) Mar 18 (IS) [c/o 2024] Feb 1 (OOS) Mar 20 (IS) [c/o 2023] Feb 1 (OOS) Mar 29 (IS) [c/o 2022]​
All Missouri applicants who meet minimum requirements get an interview. OOS are notified by mid-November of interview decisions (Nov 21, 19, 20)​
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine​
N/A​
No​
N/A​
Late November/Early December is the goal for the 2020-2021 cycle​

So with CSU we'll not hear about anything until January? My supplemental application page still only says submitted.

So with CSU we'll not hear about anything until January? My supplemental application page still only says submitted.

You may hear denials sooner if you are in the early review due to GPA, but based on the timeline they have for this cycle January will be when they will release acceptances.

Question for everyone!! With the VMCAS portal closed, I am struggling to decide what I should do. I JUST accepted a job at the emergency/specialty hospital in my area as an overnight ICU/ER assistant, and really wanted to add this to my application. Especially since I only had small animal/exotic GP listed on my application. Do you all find it worth it to email each school at this point? I am still waiting to hear from Ross (interviewed), LMU (interviewed), UF, Michigan State. Thoughts?!?!

PS Hope everyone is enjoying their fall, so far! This time of year always makes me super happy :)definitely brightening my mood with COVID still sticking around!

Question for everyone!! With the VMCAS portal closed, I am struggling to decide what I should do. I JUST accepted a job at the emergency/specialty hospital in my area as an overnight ICU/ER assistant, and really wanted to add this to my application. Especially since I only had small animal/exotic GP listed on my application. Do you all find it worth it to email each school at this point? I am still waiting to hear from Ross (interviewed), LMU (interviewed), UF, Michigan State. Thoughts?!?!

PS Hope everyone is enjoying their fall, so far! This time of year always makes me super happy :)definitely brightening my mood with COVID still sticking around!

Honestly? No. Especially since you just accepted the job. Not really true experience at this point. Good thing to bring up at your future interviews!

Reactions: 6 users

I just accepted a new job at an er speciality clinic as well and was also wondering if I should email the schools! But i agree that it is a good talking point during interviews. (Fingers crossed I receive one lol)