Visiting clerkship at USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nystagmus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year medical student and I am strongly thinking about doing an away elective at USC in ophthalmology. Anybody have thoughts or suggestions about the rotation there? Also, any input on good faculty members to work with during the research portion would be very helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you strongly interested in trying to get into USC? I think that many people agree that doing an externship there helps little in boosting your application. The admissions committee seems to hand pick their residents from medical schools such as Johns Hopkins. I did a month at USC and had a nice time, although I mainly spent time with the fellows and residents.

If you're interested in retina, then I'd suggest Mark Humayun. I heard him give a talk in Cambridge, and he seems very switched on (though I'm not sure that his group is onto a winner with their particular retinal prosthesis).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jjwiiwi
Are you strongly interested in trying to get into USC? I think that many people agree that doing an externship there helps little in boosting your application. The admissions committee seems to hand pick their residents from medical schools such as Johns Hopkins. I did a month at USC and had a nice time, although I mainly spent time with the fellows and residents.

this is b/c 2 yrs ago a very prominent retina surgeon named eugene de juan and his "mob" moved from hopkins to usc. it was like 7 faculty.. it's a safe bet they'll continue to pick tons of hopkins grads in the near future

Originally posted by chef
this is b/c 2 yrs ago a very prominent retina surgeon named eugene de juan and his "mob" moved from hopkins to usc. it was like 7 faculty.. it's a safe bet they'll continue to pick tons of hopkins grads in the near future

Actually, Drs. Ryan and Smith who both founded the ophthalmology department were graduates of Hopkins' Wilmer Eye Institute. They strongly believe in selecting candidates from the top medical programs. If you look at their residents, most are from top ten medical schools.

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/doheny/