Technology Virtual reality for enhancing clinical empathy - useless or useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you think about wearable/virtual reality technology for clinical empathy.

• Useful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Silly

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Annoying

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

CompSciLady

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if doctors could wear e-clothing and a virtual reality headset that would allow them to step into their patient’s shoes and tangibly experience a child’s narrative of a medical procedure?

I'm at a research 1 university, and considering starting some work on creating virtual reality/wearable technology (more detailed description below) to enhance doctor patient empathy.

I'm interested in getting your thoughts on whether this could be useful, annoying, stupid, etc.

Please let me know what you think by posting on this thread/voting!

--- Detailed description ---
Develop an application and e-clothing to help doctors experience medical diagnostics from a child’s perspective. A doctor would wear e-clothing, made with soft circuitry such as that created in SWARM, a Microsoft Research project (http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=238353). The e-clothing would connect to a web application that registered when certain regions of the clothing were touched. The doctor would also wear a Microsoft Holo, programmed to show what the child saw (e.g. inside of MRI machine). The web application would have multiple children’s medical scenarios represented by a series of images. To move through the story, a second doctor would need to perform the actions shown in the story on the first doctor (e.g. press the stomach). The web application would then progress to the next image in the story, change the image shown in the Microsoft Holo and/or send output to the e-clothing (e.g. vibrate to represent pain, warm in certain places to represent dye moving through the body in a CT scan).

Members don't see this ad.