Virtual practice assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidshadow22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
have a telepsych practice and I was looking into getting a virtual assistant. Feeling overwhelmed by fielding calls from patients and scheduling patients who no show, tracking down payments etc.

Anyone have any experience with a virtual assistant for their practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t but many won’t have the company sign a BAA. Instead they have the assistant sign it but that isn’t as good. I’d only work with one where the company signs the BAA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Business Associate Agreement.

Basically a boiler plate template document / contract that says you are transmitting HIPAA related patient information back and forth and both parties need to keep it secure and keep their 'mouths' shut. I believe CMS set the precedent of this layer of bureaucracy and requiring them.

For instance, Luminello the EMR has a BAA. ApexEDI the billing/clearing house integrated with luminello has a BAA. Google GSuite also has a BAA, too. Independent 3rd party billing companies will also have a BAA template document for all involved to sign.

I've tried to reach out to another Psychiatrist who used one of these firms, and this person basically just takes down messages and forwards them on. A google voice number would have been just as good. This doc also never returned my calls. Unsure if the attendant didn't forward them or the doc chose to not return the call.

I believe you are better off working in person with some one and after training for a few months in person, cut them loose and provide their tech to work from home. My assistant and I did crash course of this during early Covid and worked out well.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe you are better off working in person with some one and after training for a few months in person, cut them loose and provide their tech to work from home. My assistant and I did crash course of this during early Covid and worked out well.
^This. Best to just hire someone hourly and train them specifically for want you want/need.

Would anyone be willing to share an employment contract for an assistant they used? I have never employed someone before and find the task daunting.

I assume 1099 would be best to start off with.