VHA--NTE versus permanent offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilllooking

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to enter the VA (after postdoc and several years in academia, including clinical practice on the side) and have some offers (TJOs) that I've moved through onboarding. Two are for permanent positions, one is for a term-limited (NTE) 3-year position. Location is sixes, more or less, and both are standard clinical outpatient jobs. Am I missing anything by choosing a permanent position over the NTE? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t see why one would take an NTE position over a full position unless there was something major like location or a specific type of work for the NTE position

I actually don’t know anybody who has had an NTE gig but my understanding is that you basically need to go through this process again before your 3 years run out.

Now if you wanted to stay at that facility but something like a local hiring freeze is in place as you near the end of the NTE (like at some facilities right now), you’ll be processed out of the VA when your term ends.

Hopefully the places you are applying to aren’t being hit by the current VA budgetary issues, which I think can potentially cancel tentative offers that have already been extended.

If there’s anything you can do to speed up the process like get your background stuff in sooner, it might not hurt. Good luck!