Veterinary Pharmacology

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my dream lol. Ever since I heard this, I decided that this is something I want to do. I realize that I would have to get a DVM which will be challenging. So what degree will I need for Pharmacology: a Ph.D or a PharmD.. But when getting a PharmD. you will need to go to a school of pharmacy right?

I'm so confused lol. Anything will help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is your interest to practice veterinary medicine? Or to research drugs and effects? If it is the former then do a DVM, if it is the latter then do a PhD. A pharm.D is program is probably going to be specifically for human pharmacology and primarily drugs regarding pathophysiology.

Is your interest to practice veterinary medicine? Or to research drugs and effects? If it is the former then do a DVM, if it is the latter then do a PhD. A pharm.D is program is probably going to be specifically for human pharmacology and primarily drugs regarding pathophysiology.

So, Veterinary Pharmacology isn't a real career?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, Veterinary Pharmacology isn't a real career?

Um, I'm not sure, but there like with human medicine there is the Pharm.D, which is a professional degree that allows people to dispense medication and do clinical pharmacology. And there is also a PhD in pharmacology, which is non-clinical and primarily research orientated degree. But yes, I'm sure you can specialize with a PhD in Pharmacology and do a post-doc/ research in your life that's pertinent to veterinary drug design.

Either way, if you have particular questions you might want to go to the Vet section on here.

What exactly do you want to do? Work in a pharmacy that dispenses medicine for animals? So like a vet school pharmacy?

If so, then I could ask the pharmacists at the vet school here what they did as far as school is concerned. I shadow at the teaching hospital and walk by there several times during the day.

What exactly do you want to do? Work in a pharmacy that dispenses medicine for animals? So like a vet school pharmacy?

If so, then I could ask the pharmacists at the vet school here what they did as far as school is concerned. I shadow at the teaching hospital and walk by there several times during the day.

Yeah, like dispense medication. If you can ask, that'll be great.

Yeah, like dispense medication. If you can ask, that'll be great.

I went there today to ask. They told me you just go through the same schooling as a regular pharmacist. Some schools offer classes for veterinary pharmacy, so just ask the different pharmacy schools you're interested in if they offer those.

You need a PharmD, not a DVM to be a pharmacologist for animals.
BUT be aware that there are very few vet-specific jobs out there. Unless you work at a teaching hospital or a veterinary compounding pharmacy (or in research), you would probably end up working with people for most of your job.
Most meds used for animals are also used for humans or are very similar. Add that to the fact that almost all vet clinics dispense their own meds, and there aren't too many jobs for vet-specific PharmD's.
You're welcome to come ask on the pre-vet forum (you're not allowed to cross post but you could ask a mod to move your thread)... you might get more answers from vets and vet students that way.

Edit: I don't want to make it sound like you can just give your medications to your pets... very bad idea. Just meant that the actual drugs we use on animals are usually from the same drug classes as those used for humans.

You need a PharmD, not a DVM to be a pharmacologist for animals.
BUT be aware that there are very few vet-specific jobs out there. Unless you work at a teaching hospital or a veterinary compounding pharmacy (or in research), you would probably end up working with people for most of your job.
Most meds used for animals are also used for humans or are very similar. Add that to the fact that almost all vet clinics dispense their own meds, and there aren't too many jobs for vet-specific PharmD's.
You're welcome to come ask on the pre-vet forum (you're not allowed to cross post but you could ask a mod to move your thread)... you might get more answers from vets and vet students that way.

Edit: I don't want to make it sound like you can just give your medications to your pets... very bad idea. Just meant that the actual drugs we use on animals are usually from the same drug classes as those used for humans.

Thanks so much very appreciated.