Study Pharmacology vs Pharmaceuticals/ Pharmacy

N_____710

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can you please explain to me the difference between the two and their different applications? Which one is more likely to get a job? What is the future like in each of those fields? Which one offers better salary?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I study pharmacology/toxicology so I'll try to help out a little bit, but note I am still in undergrad.

Pharmacology/toxicology is more about drug mechanisms, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, toxicity, things of that nature.

Pharmaceutics is more formulation and dosage forms. So for example someone might have a compounds that can treat a specific issue and pharmacetics will figure out the best route of administration and things like that.

Jobs in pharmacology/toxicology would most likely be more lab work. Such as quality control, forensics is possible, pharmacologist, maybe pharm rep if you have business experience etc.

Jobs in pharmaceutics would be much more formulation such as working in an area where you would make dosage forms for new compounds or some actually work where they make drugs and have a "supervisory" position.

Honestly, salary ranges vary hugely depending on company. Could be 50k or 80k to start, a lot of it depends on where you work or what you do. My schools says the average salary is like 120k but I find that very hard to believe. No doubt there are jobs out there that make that much, but I don't think that's near the average.

I can PM you more information if you want it.