veterinary internship & residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fine:smuggrin:

Ha ha, you might! I know of one working in Boston, at MIT?

That would be the one... she is a food animal convert!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry chris - I didn't mean better overall, I just meant still god-awful, but perhaps slightly better than pathology (I am just assuming based on my albeit limited knowledge of the lab animal job market. I know it sucks, I know it's bad, but I wasn't sure if it was as bad as us? we may both be in an equivalent boat)...all I know is the number of jobs for entry level pathologists is awful...as far as I have gathered from perusing ACVP and AAVLD career boards, there are nowhere near enough opportunities, hence why people get shoved into PhDs in addition to DVM and residency in hopes to have a better chance. Many pathology programs even require it now (which I call BS on myself, but that's another story).

In LAM their are TONS of top notch boarded folks which lost their positions in addition to the new resident grads applying. Not uncommon for a well known boarded person to have trouble finding something, let alone the newbies.

In LAM their are TONS of top notch boarded folks which lost their positions in addition to the new resident grads applying. Not uncommon for a well known boarded person to have trouble finding something, let alone the newbies.

Ugh, terrible. :( Some of our top people have been reduced to nine month salaries, and I know one whose position "will not be renewed". And like I said, my friend who finished is having a helluva time finding anything. he is competing with people who were boarded years ago. Even his Canada thing is tenuous :(

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people also harp on the fact that 4th year (final year) is very important. However, I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. If you are submitting everything by December of your 4th year, how are they factoring in grades?

Is it just LORs that they are factoring in for your 4th year. If you want your grades to count in final year, should you just wait one year post DVM graduation to apply for internships?

A lot of people also harp on the fact that 4th year (final year) is very important. However, I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. If you are submitting everything by December of your 4th year, how are they factoring in grades?

Is it just LORs that they are factoring in for your 4th year. If you want your grades to count in final year, should you just wait one year post DVM graduation to apply for internships?

Many schools do not give grades for fourth year - it is all pass/fail, so your grades are set after third year anyway. That's how mine was.

I don't really know how it works for graded rotations...hm. You probably just submit what you have - like how you apply for vet school without having your final senior grades in (if you apply in undergraduate)

Sorry chris - I didn't mean better overall, I just meant still god-awful, but perhaps slightly better than pathology (I am just assuming based on my albeit limited knowledge of the lab animal job market. I know it sucks, I know it's bad, but I wasn't sure if it was as bad as us? we may both be in an equivalent boat)...all I know is the number of jobs for entry level pathologists is awful...as far as I have gathered from perusing ACVP and AAVLD career boards, there are nowhere near enough opportunities, hence why people get shoved into PhDs in addition to DVM and residency in hopes to have a better chance. Many pathology programs even require it now (which I call BS on myself, but that's another story).

And this is painful to hear, especially since those of us still in school hear nothing but "lab animal, food animal, pathology, public health = automatic job placement". It is really starting to bother me that we are still being taught that certain fields are sorely understaffed when in reality there aren't enough jobs for experienced doctors let alone newbies. As someone who is genuinely interested in pathology and comparative medicine, I don't want to be disillusioned as to my chances of getting a job. I want a job. I want to be able to support a family. If this isn't going to be likely in certain fields due to job availability, I want to know now. Grrr.

And this is painful to hear, especially since those of us still in school hear nothing but "lab animal, food animal, pathology, public health = automatic job placement". It is really starting to bother me that we are still being taught that certain fields are sorely understaffed when in reality there aren't enough jobs for experienced doctors let alone newbies. As someone who is genuinely interested in pathology and comparative medicine, I don't want to be disillusioned as to my chances of getting a job. I want a job. I want to be able to support a family. If this isn't going to be likely in certain fields due to job availability, I want to know now. Grrr.

There is probably a good bit of bias in the people who are telling you jobs are available - i.e. they are employed and are not scurrying around on the front lines trying to find a job.

This scares the crap out of me. I want to be lab animal veterinarian, and according to any searches or conversations with current vets/professors, the job market is still really great. It terrifies me to hear differently from someone actually in the field. Ugh. Here's hoping things are looking up (and not even worse) in five years when I'm applying for jobs...

There is probably a good bit of bias in the people who are telling you jobs are available - i.e. they are employed and are not scurrying around on the front lines trying to find a job.

I think that is the issue. Historically, certain sectors have been quite good. But those of us actually, physically in the job market right now (not me quite yet, but I know many residents finishing up) are seeing a different side of the coin. We are the ones actively looking at job postings (I know I shouldn't be at this point, but I check because I like to get an idea of how things are going).

This sort of reminds me of the cost of vet school thread....so I will say personally, I am not trying to tell anyone not to go into a field or specialty. I just say that if you do so, be prepared that things will be very tough - much more so than they have been in the past. Network as much as humanly possible - right now, that is probably the best tool to get you jobs. You can do it, but it's not an easy road. I wish schools would focus more on the job hunt, and educating their students as to better methods than blindly sending out resumes, etc. That won't work in this day and age. Hopefully, in the future things will brighten. They generally do, but it is impossible to tell how quickly.

Interesting thread. I wonder how much has changed in 3 years?

No jobs in pathology at all. I am done in September and I am applying for GP jobs. Yay me! At least I did an internship. Unfortunately, there are no GP jobs either and I am worried about finding a job that will take me even though I have great skills from my residency but I think it is too risky for them because I would leave if I found a pathology job (although I wouldn't tell them that).

Also, few post-docs are available because no one has funding for them either.

They are also overtraining pathologists now too because the schools are so in debt and residents are cheaper than faculty. Clinical instructors are cheaper than faculty but residents are even cheaper.

No jobs in pathology at all. I am done in September and I am applying for GP jobs. Yay me! At least I did an internship. Unfortunately, there are no GP jobs either and I am worried about finding a job that will take me even though I have great skills from my residency but I think it is too risky for them because I would leave if I found a pathology job (although I wouldn't tell them that).

Also, few post-docs are available because no one has funding for them either.

They are also overtraining pathologists now too because the schools are so in debt and residents are cheaper than faculty. Clinical instructors are cheaper than faculty but residents are even cheaper.

Are you/were you in pathology then, VET2008? Where did you do your residency? Clinical or anatomic? I would very much like to discuss the current pathology job market, etc with you. Definitely PM you if you have the time. I'm currently in the throes of trying to extricate myself from being semi-pushed into a PhD :/ Currently in my second year of anatomic residency.

Agreed. Almost all path jobs now either require of highly encourage a PhD in addition to residency and board certification. The few (and a I mean few...half a dozen or a dozen nationwide plus Canadaq, Australia, and GB) are extremely competitive.

Last edited: