Veterinarian to MD/DO path, advice requested!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmdtomd

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my stats and history-
Undergraduate: 3.61c GPA, 3.38sGPA @ Washington State Univ.
Vet School: 3.3c GPA, 3.08sGPA @ University of Pennsylvania graduated 2011
508 MCAT: 124 CPBS , 129 CARS, 127 Bio, 128 Psych/Social
State: SD, but strong ties to PA

I applied narrowly to 3 schools, all late in the cycle (Sep/Oct) since MCAT taken in August. to Univ. South Dakota (interviewed & rejected). Still haven't heard from Temple/Drexel, but I'm not holding my breath.

I did a lot of APs in high school (got 28cr) so I completed my undergraduate degree in 2.5 yrs. My first year I was a D1 rower, which was a substantial time commitment. During my second semester I fractured my back in the course of training (recovery took 2 semesters) and that combined with my undergraduate ECs, working 20hr / wk and full course load, my grades suffered ( I got a couple B, B+s and a C in Biochem). After graduation I worked full time in a non-health related job (to make a little money I could live off of during vet school). I scored well on my GRE (590 verbal, 730 Quantitative, 5.5 Analytical), taken for vet school.

I did quite a few ECs in Vet school (Food Animal Club President; active member of multiple other clubs) and commuted 1.5hr each way to vet school to avoid living in the city/still help out my parents on our family farm. So my grades suffered a little. And also I didn't think I'd ever be going back to school, so I really didn't care much about my grades. My epidemiology course I got a D in because I missed almost the entire exam (1 grade only class) due to getting stuck 3hrs in traffic. I also got a D in one rotation (Small Animal Radiology) because my sister tragically died about 10 days prior, and radiology wasn't my strongest suit. Otherwise I got mainly Bs, As and one or two Cs.

I was the recipient of the Army HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program) in vet school and then went on Active duty for 3.5 years. During which time I held many responsibilities, received awards, did lots of additional military training (Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostician's course in Plum Island, NY, Veterinary Support to Stability Operations @ Univ GA in Athens, GA), and worked extensively with the military public health physicians in preventive med. I was stationed in NC then ND. I got off Active Duty in 2014 and have been practicing in a mixed animal general practice since. I'm a mom to an almost 3 and an almost 5 yr old.

My girls and working full time has kept me very busy, along with serving as a drilling reservist each month/two weeks a year. Unfortunately the last app cycle I did not have much recent shadowing time (prior military physicians when I was on active duty). I think I was a bit too overconfident with the application, since I already had my VMD.

I've been showing a DO ENT for over 50 hrs now, as well as others physicians at a local same day surgery center (ob/gyn, urologist, other ents, general sx, etc). I'll have 150-200 hours by the time I reapply in May/June.

Previously my LORs were from my current boss (a vet), my mentor, (an adjunct prof./vet) in vet school, and my previous military commander (also a vet). For this next cycle I'll have the DO physician I've been shadowing.

I also plan on taking (in April) Org Chem II and Epidemiology at UNE online to meet the 8hr OChem pre-req. at many schools and the Epi course to show I truly know Epi and the D grade simply was because I had less than 10min to take the 90 min exam.

I will be re-writing my app responses as I wrote them with vet humor (apparently not the right place/crowd).

My questions:
-I've had over 600 hrs of patient transport volunteer experience in HS (>1200hrs volunteering for various orgs), should that be included anywhere in my app? I don't have a lot of volunteering recently due to my job/taking care of toddlers & babies. I have mentored/had about 5 students shadow me as a vet, and volunteered at multiple child care centers and elementary schools to do an interactive veterinary educational class presentation.

-Will taking the OChem and Epi courses be sufficient? I feel like my science GPA is lacking (as well as my CPBS MCAT section), but my last basic science courses were in high school/1st year of undergrad (12-13yrs ago!).

-What else should I do to strengthen my app at this point?

-Also I guess I'm unsure of what to include and where (i.e. activities), since I've been out of vet school now 6 yrs

-Lastly, is it worth hiring an advisor (i.e. Thompson's) to help re-do my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting. Why do you want the MD/DO degree and why did you originally get a DVM?

I think your stats are finer. You look super strong for DO and i would bet with a solid story of why DVM-MD you could swing into an MD acceptance. Some recent sciences may look good if you have been inactive for some time.

-Lastly, is it worth hiring an advisor (i.e. Thompson's) to help re-do my app?[/QUOTE]

Do not hire an advisor to re-do your application. Your money is better spent elsewhere, without a doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro