RN to MD/DO path advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ziggy213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a currently an RN interested in going the MD/DO route.

My story, I was originally a pre-med several years back in undergrad majoring in Biology/minor in English, did all the prerequisites, but i lost focus of myself that really hurt my GPA from sophomore to mid junior year before I finally got myself back together the final couple semesters to graduation culminating with a c3.08 GPA.

I was devastated but i thought i could redeem myself focusing purely on the MCAT which i tried intensively studying for years after graduation which i made several attempts on the official exam. Unfortunately after 4 attempts on the official exam, my scores never went above a 501. So my mom who is an NP had several friends' children who were in my situation back then and they took a different path of choosing nursing for a few years as a transition to get their focus back and then take the MCAT again but can still have nursing as a fallback if medicine didn't work out. Those same children are now in medical school and residency. So i took my mom's advice and did a BSN program for 28 months in NY and to now have been making decent income. My mentality and focus now is completely different compared to my university and MCAT years before. So i feel i am more than ready to take medicine on once again.

So far while i came to love nursing, medicine has always been a calling for me and that was the entire plan from the start so i was investing most of my money for a couple years living at home to hopefully pay some of my own way through med school if i manage to get in.

l I wondering to you guys if this whole path is good idea for me as i am now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your cGPA/sGPA with your BSN factored in? What were your 4 MCAT scores? Would you be considered URM?

Have you shadowed physicians? Working as a nurse is one thing, but it may not give you a good sense of what physicians do all day. You mention medicine as your calling--what specifically is it about medicine that keeps bringing you back to this track? I think answering that question is really important before you disrupt your current life / career path.