Vet student accused of pulling tragic con on horse owners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had to look that dude up cause I hadn't heard about this.

What I find insane is that he lost his license for 10 months for multiple cases of abuse, then gets only 3 announced inspections/year for 2 years. Then he's basically scott free (granted only read 1 story cause midterm studying). But then we have that baby vet from TAMU who shot that cat with a bow and arrow who sounds like she's permanently losing her license. On a personal level, I think what he did is way worse, but is not receiving nearly as harsh of a punishment.
Correction, baby CSU vet living in Texas. I don't know the full details of both cases, but it's my impression that the Texas vet's bad conduct and bad judgment - not just the act of killing her neighbor's cat - is what is keeping her in hot water.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Correction, baby CSU vet living in Texas. I don't know the full details of both cases, but it's my impression that the Texas vet's bad conduct and bad judgment - not just the act of killing her neighbor's cat - is what is keeping her in hot water.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

Agreed. The whole "hunting feral/neighbor's cat" thing aside (which i think was even discussed somewhere here on SDN), the social media aspect of her actions in of itself is astoundingly stupid.

Reactions: 1 user
I might make this the vet forum news thread so we can discuss various things as they come up. It would be nice to get some activity on this side of the forums.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know there's a thread about this somewhere but since this is the news thread now, I'll post it here:

Cat-killing Texas veterinarian loses appeal

Her one year suspension is already over, so can practice again while on probation I guess.
I doubt she's going to have much of a veterinary career ever again. Even ignoring her complete lack of personal ethics, I would absolutely not want to be the vet clinic that takes the PR ****storm that is sure to follow if she is hired on. I also feel like there is very little chance she would find a potential employer who didn't know about this, wouldn't be able to find out about it via a cursory background check, or who would be willing to overlook it.

Reactions: 4 users
I can empathize with the rage and shock this woman was probably feeling seeing her cat get beaten. Also have to wonder if there was domestic abuse going on, as it rarely stops with the animals. Not saying it's okay to kill someone.

Separately:

'Pure animal cruelty.' Second fake vet turns himself in after deadly dog neutering, cops say Not entirely sure why someone wouldn't be suspicious about dropping their dog off at an apartment for a medical procedure but :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)

If someone even dares think about hurting my cat, they will wish they were dead. That is all I have to say.

This story, however, seems to be missing some pieces. If she shot her husband while he was beating the cat, how did she have time to create search posters for the missing cat? So at one point the cat is missing, at another it is being beat by the husband and she shoots him while he is beating the cat. The story is just.... convoluted the way that it was written in that article.

If someone even dares think about hurting my cat, they will wish they were dead. That is all I have to say.

This story, however, seems to be missing some pieces. If she shot her husband while he was beating the cat, how did she have time to create search posters for the missing cat? So at one point the cat is missing, at another it is being beat by the husband and she shoots him while he is beating the cat. The story is just.... convoluted the way that it was written in that article.
Yeah I was trying to understand that too. I think the author is trying to say that the woman lost her cat and it returned recently just as a side note t0 the story.

I thought it was just my area news outlets that had really poorly written articles, but it looks like it's an epidemic.

Interesting that she's returned to class. Obviously Tuskegee won't be able to comment that much, but I still find it interesting.

Interesting that she's returned to class. Obviously Tuskegee won't be able to comment that much, but I still find it interesting.
Same. Even if she wasn't found guilty, you'd think they wouldn't want her name on a degree from their university.

Same. Even if she wasn't found guilty, you'd think they wouldn't want her name on a degree from their university.

I'm all for innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, and am not a fan of schools stepping in on legal matters. At the same time, this must break the school code on some level too. I couldn't imagine any equine owners being keen on her being their horse's student during her equine rotations.

I think I remember reading that Tuskegee was limited in what they could do because it was behavior that wasn't conducted on school property, or something like that. She hadn't (hasn't?) been convicted of anything, which tied their hands to some extent.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I feel like she could/would sue their asses off if they got rid of her before she is actually charged with anything. So she will probably graduate with a degree because of how slow the wheels of justice turn. Now whether she is ever actually able to be licensed and/or find a job is another story...

If the vet that shot an arrow through a neighbour's cat's head could find a job...she will too. But it will seriously hinder her career either way.

Is retroactively rescinding a degree a thing? Not saying it would happen, but it would be interesting if it did.

This is an interesting conversation. Were she to be in law school, I think there is no way she would be able to be licensed, because every bar association in the country requires applicants to pass a character and fitness requirement in order to be admitted (and therefore to practice law). It's a very rigorous process for the most part and would definitely reveal these charges.

I always found it kind of interesting that other professional bodies didn't have a similar process - especially since its intent is to protect the reputation of the profession and ensure that the licensing board feels that the person would practice scrupulously in their new role.

Reactions: 2 users
If the vet that shot an arrow through a neighbour's cat's head could find a job...she will too. But it will seriously hinder her career either way.
did she though? last i heard that biddy was still lurking around TX getting DUIs on the monthly

did she though? last i heard that biddy was still lurking around TX getting DUIs on the monthly
The last I heard was that her license was suspended for a year, then reactivated but will remain under probation for four years, during which time she is only allowed to practice veterinary medicine under the supervision of another licensed veterinarian. I think she's in the middle of trying to appeal that decision, but getting shot down by the board thus far. I don't know if she's gotten any other jobs though

Has anyone ever heard of moving to gain residency and therefore better your chances? I am a NYS resident with basically no chance of raising my cum GPA (which is around a 3.2-3.3) at this point (due to oversaturation of credits). I'm considering moving to Virginia/Maryland or NC State, but really am just open to opinions and ideas at this point.

Thanks!

I personally was a Michigan resident but after MSU changed their admission guidelines I didn’t feel like I had a good chance of being accepted since my GPA and GRE were the strong points of my application at the time. So after graduation I moved to Florida and established residency (I am a second time applicant and my first cycle I got the furthest in the application process with UF than any other school which is why I chose Florida). It worked out great because I’ve been accepted to their class of 2023 as an in-state student. I would just make sure you research what it takes to be considered a resident by the state and the school ahead of time. Florida just required that I live in the state for at least 12 months before the first day of school, have proof I work at least 30 hours a week in the state, have a utility bill in my name, and have a letter from my employer saying I work there. Some states will make you have a drivers license and car insurance in their state though which can be pricey

I moved to NC, not for IS school reasons, but I took advantage of moving here to apply IS at NCSU. You have to be considered a resident by the time of application (NOT the first day of class). You need proof of living in the state with bills in your name or something similar. I had been living with a friend at the time and didn't have my own place for the first several months, but I did get a job within a week of moving here so I was able to use my pay stub that showed proof I was in the state. I also had to get a license and register my car (around $400). PM me if you have any specific questions regarding NC.
Side note I had a hell of a time with the admissions because my residency paperwork didn't get processed until Nov 2018. I was ultimately declined from NCSU.

Cummings School student Tiffany Filler expelled for alleged grade hacking somewhat related. I don't know half of the tech lingo being discussed in any of the articles published about this situation so I feel like I can't really form an opinion here. It also sounds really complicated in that if she really isn't the hacker, someone framed her while trying to benefit themselves and did a darn good job of it. Whether she is innocent or guilty, she deserves a fair process to reach the expulsion and it sounds like she was deprived of that.

Cummings School student Tiffany Filler expelled for alleged grade hacking somewhat related. I don't know half of the tech lingo being discussed in any of the articles published about this situation so I feel like I can't really form an opinion here. It also sounds really complicated in that if she really isn't the hacker, someone framed her while trying to benefit themselves and did a darn good job of it. Whether she is innocent or guilty, she deserves a fair process to reach the expulsion and it sounds like she was deprived of that.
There's a thread about this over on pre-vet :)
Veterinary Student Expelled from Tufts Over Grade Hacking

Would never leave my pet hospitalized with her...

Oh you’re right. The article I posted was from two days ago. I’m not sure what changes between then and now that they made a new article.
nothing new in that article. Last I read, she is facing charges and still in school

It's crazy how one vet student is expelled with no clear (public) evidence, while the other student is still in classes while actually charged.

I get why that difference has happened. It just still blows my mind.

Reactions: 6 users