Very recently decided to apply Ophthalmology and need some guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuhOso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm lost. I recently decided that I want to pursue ophthalmology as a career and am WAAAAAAY behind for the match. I need some input on how to approach things. I did a two week ophtho rotation at the beginning of May and loved it. I followed that with two weeks in anesthesia, which is what I was considering prior to ophtho, and ended up wanting to be back in ophthalmology. And now I'm here today, locked in to this decision with no aways, letters, or even a full ophtho rotation. So as you can see, I need a little guidance and I thought you all might know best on how to move forward.

For some context, I'm at a a mid-tier school THAT DOES NOT HAVE A HOME PROGRAM. I'm currently scheduled in June for an unrelated OR management course with opportunity for ophtho-focused research and the ability to spend significant free time in the ophtho clinic, but without it being a formal rotation. I'm struggling with whether or not I should:
1) Keep the current OR management rotation, get some research in during it, spend some time in the clinic, and follow it up with a a month long ophtho rotation in July and (drop my medicine Acting Internship to do) an away in August/September
2) Try and drop the OR rotation (which I'm unsure if this is even a possibility due to the timing and the rotation starting next week), pick up a two-week/month long ophtho rotation in June, try and get a July away rotation, and do medicine AI in August.
3) Another recommendation!

A little about me:

Step 1 is high 250s and Step 2CK is Mid 260s. I only honored 2/7 rotations (Neuro and Surgery), but received positive assessments from all. I also have some "meh" public health research (1 poster and 1 manuscript in prep), bench research from undergrad (poster presentation at a national meeting, fourth author in field's primary journal), and some more recent surgical sub-specialty research that has a poster presentation and is being prepared for submission to a high impact factor journal. Beyond that, I have your various volunteer events and engagement in clubs and not much else.
As far as letters are currently concerned, I understand there are three required for SFMatch and they should be from 1-3 ophthalmologist, one from an IM or Surgery attending, and maybe one other. Realistically, I don't think I'll have much traction from third year as it didn't really allow me to make great relationships with any specific attendings (but I could probably squeak one generically positive one out of surgery, if necessary). Otherwise, I'm sure I could manage one or two ophthalmology letters from my home institution, maybe one from an away (?), and one from a research mentor in a different surgical subspecialty if that is appropriate (t the work was very focused on microsurgical skills and performed in a setting that highlights other positive qualities).

Realistically, I think I have a fair shot at catching up and matching in Ophthalmology, but it will definitely take some planning and I'm hoping you guys can help me organize the rest of the summer and early fall. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say if there's any chance you can rearrange your schedule to have an ophtho elective in July or August, do it, give it your all, and request a LOR ASAP from someone in that rotation. Some programs might worry that your only experience was a two week elective, and is that really going to be your passion or will that pass? Medicine, Surgery, and Peds are the core clerkships that many programs focus on, so your surgery honors is great. Your Step scores will do you well. If you can't arrange an elective, see if you can at least shadow in an ophtho clinic in your free time (LOL) which might help solidify your decision to apply to ophtho, as well as showing your desire to independently seek those opportunities. And develop a great, genuine personal statement. Some programs have application deadlines as early as Sept. 1 but most are later, so of course get your documents in as soon as possible but don't feel pressured to have a so-so letter submitted early vs. a strong letter that might be ready a bit later.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say if there's any chance you can rearrange your schedule to have an ophtho elective in July or August, do it, give it your all, and request a LOR ASAP from someone in that rotation. Some programs might worry that your only experience was a two week elective, and is that really going to be your passion or will that pass? Medicine, Surgery, and Peds are the core clerkships that many programs focus on, so your surgery honors is great. Your Step scores will do you well. If you can't arrange an elective, see if you can at least shadow in an ophtho clinic in your free time (LOL) which might help solidify your decision to apply to ophtho, as well as showing your desire to independently seek those opportunities. And develop a great, genuine personal statement. Some programs have application deadlines as early as Sept. 1 but most are later, so of course get your documents in as soon as possible but don't feel pressured to have a so-so letter submitted early vs. a strong letter that might be ready a bit later.

Thanks for the input - I'll try and get that all scheduled. I guess it's all about doing something active and just moving forward. Hopeful it all works out.

Reactions: 1 user