very few neurology residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at FREIDA to try to figure out how many neurology residency options are available in the couple cities where I hope to end up.

It looked like with very few exeptions there are only neurology programs affiliated with universities. (eg, in bay area there is only UCSF and Stanford)

Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place for this information or are there just not very many places to do neurology residencies? Do "community-based" programs not really exist the way they do for primary care?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, most all of the programs are medical school affiliated. But that's the way it is for most specialties. Other than Family Practice, even primary care kind of tends toward this (not entirely, though). A city that has 5 Family practice residencies, might have 2 internal medicine programs and 1 neuro program.

Nerdoscience said:
Yeah, most all of the programs are medical school affiliated. But that's the way it is for most specialties. Other than Family Practice, even primary care kind of tends toward this (not entirely, though). A city that has 5 Family practice residencies, might have 2 internal medicine programs and 1 neuro program.

Okay, good to know. Thanks for the quick reply. :)