VCU/MCV School of Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the great information!!! How many students do you interview and how many are you accepting?

We will interview approximately 300 applicants for 140 positions in the entering class.

Members don't see this ad.

The VCU/MCV SOP has been educating pharmacists since 1838 and the next oldest pharmacy school in VA graduated their first class only 12 years ago. We are one of less than 20 health science centers (a medical center plus schools of pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, nursing, and allied health) in the U.S., and the only one in VA. We believe strongly in interprofessional education. We have over 3000 alumni practicing pharmacy in VA, which is approximately 65% of the pharmacists in the state.

Although some didactic courses continue an entire semester, many of our courses are modular (shorter, more intense courses), lasting between 1.5 and 8 weeks. The cornerstone courses of the curriculum are the Pharmacotherapy courses which consist of 17 modules over a 5 semester period using innovative team based learning methods. Most modules pertain to a particular disease state (e.g., cardiology, infectious disease).

The Pharm.D. program is a four year curriculum with a total of 156 credit hours. Like most Pharm.D. programs, the entire 4th year of the program is experiential and we offer many types of rotations with approximately 800 affiliate faculty in VA and around the country. We have 2 satellite campuses where students may move to for their 3rd and/or 4th year. One is at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Northern VA and the other is at the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville.

We offer combined degree options including Pharm.D/M.S., Pharm.D./Ph.D, Pharm.D./M.B.A., Pharm.D./M.P.H, and Pharm.D./Certificate in Gerontology. Approximately 30% of our students continue on to residency programs or other post-graduate studies after graduation.

Although national surveys may not be particularly meaningful, the U.S. News and World Reports recently ranked our primary training hospital (the VCU Health System) the #1 medical center in VA and the VCU SOP is ranked #21 of the approximately 135 pharmacy schools in the country (the next highest in VA is ranked #70).

Admission to our School is very competitive, as we receive on average, over 1500 applications each year for our 140 1st year positions. The average GPA of entering students is a 3.4 and the average score in each section of the PCAT is around the 70th percentile.

Thank you so much for all this information! I was wondering if students have experiential learning opportunities to explore different aspects of pharmacy starting from year one or does it only happen during the 4th year?

Thank you so much for all this information! I was wondering if students have experiential learning opportunities to explore different aspects of pharmacy starting from year one or does it only happen during the 4th year?

VCU students have Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPEs) starting in the 1st year of the program. Our spring semesters start and end early to allow these experiences without taking up too much of the summer which allows students to pursue other beneficial experiences during their "off time" (e.g, summer internships, summer research fellowships, Public Health Service experiences, pharmaceutical industry programs and pharmacy foreign exchange programs). At the conclusion of the 1st year students will spend 4 weeks in a community pharmacy rotation and at the end of the 2nd year students will spend 3 weeks in a hospital pharmacy. These rotations may be completed in Richmond or students may return home for their IPPEs. During the 3rd year students participate in a variety of service learning activities. Also, students take elective courses during the 3rd year, which depending upon their choice, may expose them to additional types of pharmacy settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the supplemental packet yet? If so, does it include more details about the interview and travel information?

Has anyone received the supplemental packet yet? If so, does it include more details about the interview and travel information?

I received mine in the mail today. It says that interview process is from 1-5pm. They also include the supplemental application. Where are you traveling from?

Thanks for the info! I'm flying in from Florida! :) Mine didn't come today. I booked my flight there but didn't do anything else yet in case they gave more details/hotel recs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'm flying in from Florida! :) Mine didn't come today. I booked my flight there but didn't do anything else yet in case they gave more details/hotel recs.

You should get it soon I think, I just got it yesterday. I am coming from California..I booked my flight and ticket together. There is some hotel recommendations on the Interview Question portion of this site. My hotel is like 5-6 miles away so I need to see how I will get there. Close by hotels were either really expensive or all booked.

Your best way to get to VCU from a hotel would probably be a taxi. The bus service isn't the greatest here in Richmond

It's probably in late spring. I don't think they released interview dates.

I believe the deadline is Oct 19 for early decision notice so it is probably a week or two before then.

I received a phone call on Tuesday and I have my interview on the 22nd! I am an early decision applicant.. can't wait!:D
I am also an early applicant with an interview on the 22nd! See you on sat! G'luckkk!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am! Where are you coming from?
I'm coming from NC.

I go to a VA school but am from the Richmond area :) safe travels! Saturday is coming fast! Anyone know how many people interview per day?

What's their supplemental application consist of?

I go to a VA school but am from the Richmond area :) safe travels! Saturday is coming fast! Anyone know how many people interview per day?

On my interview day, about 30 some people were there. It may be different for you though because I did mine later in the year.

It just asks basic things like your address, if you're from VA/ if you're a US citizen, if you've ever applied to VCU/MCV, if you go or have gone to VCU, any experience you've had in a pharmacy setting, which degree you're interested in, and i've you'd be willing to attend one of the satellite campuses in your P3 and P4 years. It's actually really short even though that sounds like a lot. You also get a form to fill out if you are from Virginia for in-state tuition.

Has anyone flown into Richmond Airport (RIC)? If so, is it large and confusing? I'm asking because I'm debating whether or not I could make an 8:13pm flight after ending the interview at 5:00pm. Any insight would be great!

I prefer to get back that night so I can study for my Biochem exam that Monday! :laugh:

Has anyone flown into Richmond Airport (RIC)? If so, is it large and confusing? I'm asking because I'm debating whether or not I could make an 8:13pm flight after ending the interview at 5:00pm. Any insight would be great!

I prefer to get back that night so I can study for my Biochem exam that Monday! :laugh:

I have flown in and out of Richmond many times being from the area, and in my opinion it is the easiest airport I've ever navigated. I think you can definitely make the 8:13 flight. The only thing I'd worry about is others flying out Sunday night to make Monday commitments- it might be a little busy. Even so, Richmond international is a small(ish), organized airport that's usually quick to get through! Hope that helps and good luck on the interview (and biochem!)

I agree it is a very easy airport to navigate. The only complication may be all of the construction on on 95. I'm not sure if it will be an issue going that way but just be aware.

i had my interview yesterday i think it went okay. Of course my little group of people were the last ones to have their interviews. It is like what everyone says that it's very relaxed and they try to make you feel comfortable. We were told that all of the early decision candidates would be interviewed and then they would decide on all of them at once.

can you give me an idea what the interview was like? It is my very first and I am a bit unsure what to expect.

can you give me an idea what the interview was like? It is my very first and I am a bit unsure what to expect.

You have 2 interviews 1 with an alumnus and a student and one with a student and faculty member. You sit at a table across from them and they have a sheet of paper with questions (found under the interview feedback section of this site) and then they give you time at the end to ask them questions. It was very laid back and everyone tried to make you feel comfortable.

The VCU/MCV SOP has been educating pharmacists since 1838 and the next oldest pharmacy school in VA graduated their first class only 12 years ago. We are one of less than 20 health science centers (a medical center plus schools of pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, nursing, and allied health) in the U.S., and the only one in VA. We believe strongly in interprofessional education. We have over 3000 alumni practicing pharmacy in VA, which is approximately 65% of the pharmacists in the state.

Although some didactic courses continue an entire semester, many of our courses are modular (shorter, more intense courses), lasting between 1.5 and 8 weeks. The cornerstone courses of the curriculum are the Pharmacotherapy courses which consist of 17 modules over a 5 semester period using innovative team based learning methods. Most modules pertain to a particular disease state (e.g., cardiology, infectious disease).

The Pharm.D. program is a four year curriculum with a total of 156 credit hours. Like most Pharm.D. programs, the entire 4th year of the program is experiential and we offer many types of rotations with approximately 800 affiliate faculty in VA and around the country. We have 2 satellite campuses where students may move to for their 3rd and/or 4th year. One is at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Northern VA and the other is at the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville.

We offer combined degree options including Pharm.D/M.S., Pharm.D./Ph.D, Pharm.D./M.B.A., Pharm.D./M.P.H, and Pharm.D./Certificate in Gerontology. Approximately 30% of our students continue on to residency programs or other post-graduate studies after graduation.

Although national surveys may not be particularly meaningful, the U.S. News and World Reports recently ranked our primary training hospital (the VCU Health System) the #1 medical center in VA and the VCU SOP is ranked #21 of the approximately 135 pharmacy schools in the country (the next highest in VA is ranked #70).

Admission to our School is very competitive, as we receive on average, over 1500 applications each year for our 140 1st year positions. The average GPA of entering students is a 3.4 and the average score in each section of the PCAT is around the 70th percentile.
Hi VCU Admission. I am a student from NVCC. I have completed 80 credits so far, My GPA is 3.875 and PCAT 94% I am a mom of two kids while going to school full time,(17-21 credits each semester) and working part time. I do not have any pharmacy work experience yet besides shadowing at a retail pharmacy 4 hours each week during this summer. Since I heard that VCU prefer student with bachelor degree ( 99% students have bachelor degree), so I am not sure if my satus is competitive enough. I do not plan to get bachelor degree ( I already had a bachelor of art in French language from Vietnam, which is not useful here). Do you think I have any chance to get an interview? Thank you for any feedback.

How long does it take to hear back from admissions after the interview?

What is the difference between the MCV (Richmond), INOVA (Fairfax), and UVA (Charlottesville) campuses?

What is the difference between the MCV (Richmond), INOVA (Fairfax), and UVA (Charlottesville) campuses?

The main campus is MCV. That's where P1 and P2 years take place. For P3, you have the option to take classes/do rotations in the other two locations.

I am curious about this as well. When should regular decision applicants who have interviewed expect to hear back? Thank you!

It depends if you are early decision or regular decision. Early decision they told us they were going to interview everyone and then sit down and make a decision about everyone all at once. They have to notify early decision applicants by October 19th of whether they were accepted, declined, or deferred to regular admissions. For regular decision applicants they will probably not notify you until after October 19th but they are on rolling decisions so the sooner you have your interview the sooner you will get their decision.

Hi VCU Admission. I am a student from NVCC. I have completed 80 credits so far, My GPA is 3.875 and PCAT 94% I am a mom of two kids while going to school full time,(17-21 credits each semester) and working part time. I do not have any pharmacy work experience yet besides shadowing at a retail pharmacy 4 hours each week during this summer. Since I heard that VCU prefer student with bachelor degree ( 99% students have bachelor degree), so I am not sure if my satus is competitive enough. I do not plan to get bachelor degree ( I already had a bachelor of art in French language from Vietnam, which is not useful here). Do you think I have any chance to get an interview? Thank you for any feedback.

While VCU does not require a bachelor's degree, the program is very competitive, and as you said, almost all students accepted do have a bachelor's degree. The lack of a bachelor's degree doesn't keep a candidate from being considered, but another issue may be the number of courses you have at a community college. While many of our students have taken a few courses at a community college, the Admissions Committee prefers to see most required math and science courses taken at a 4 year university.

Has anyone else received an email acknowledging the completion of the interview process??? I just got an email this morning about it and I'm not quite sure what it means.. is there anyone else out there going crazy like I am waiting for an answer??

(I interview on September 22nd and I am early decision)

do you mean that everyone that applies early gets an interview? or that they decide after everyone they invited for early decision has interviewed to make a decision?

If our application was sent through PharmCAS to you guys on the 26th, when would be the latest for someone to call about an interview, I'm worried because I am an ED applicant and I'm not sure why it took so long to be sent. I don't want to be skipped over :(

do you mean that everyone that applies early gets an interview? or that they decide after everyone they invited for early decision has interviewed to make a decision?

The second one. Everyone that is invited for an interview for early decision is interviewed before they make any decisions. I heard that the last day of early decision interviews in Oct 13

If our application was sent through PharmCAS to you guys on the 26th, when would be the latest for someone to call about an interview, I'm worried because I am an ED applicant and I'm not sure why it took so long to be sent. I don't want to be skipped over :(
If your application was sent to us on 9/26, you could still be considered for Early Decision. The last interview date for Early Decision candidates is next Saturday, 10/13. Some applicants who applied for Early Decision will be deferred to Regular Decision and may be invited to an interview at a later date.

if my PharmCAS application was submitted on 9/30 as a regular applicant, what round of interviews could I expect to be in (assuming I'm offered an interview)?

As soon as you get verified And mailed you can get an interview. So November interview may be possible

How long did it take everyone to get their supplemental applications after being called for an interview? It's been a week an I still haven't received it!

How long did it take everyone to get their supplemental applications after being called for an interview? It's been a week an I still haven't received it!

I got mine in 3-4 days (I'm in-state). When I was invited for the interview, they told me to call if it was getting close to my interview date and I still hadn't received anything - so if it's coming up soon I'd check on it!

ED people - anyone know for sure when we find out if we're in or out?! and how they'll contact us? the wait is killing me!

Thanks! Going to check that out tomorrow! (Interview next week!)

They are suppose to notify us by Oct 19 (Friday). You will get an email from them is my understanding (my friend is a P1 and that's how she heard). The wait is killing me!!

I got mine in 3-4 days (I'm in-state). When I was invited for the interview, they told me to call if it was getting close to my interview date and I still hadn't received anything - so if it's coming up soon I'd check on it!

ED people - anyone know for sure when we find out if we're in or out?! and how they'll contact us? the wait is killing me!

They are suppose to notify us by Oct 19 (Friday). You will get an email from them is my understanding (my friend is a P1 and that's how she heard). The wait is killing me!!

Thanks so much! Today should be the day! Anyone else get a pit in their stomach every time they think about it? haha

Thanks so much! Today should be the day! Anyone else get a pit in their stomach every time they think about it? haha

I just got my email, I was deferred to regular decision but I kind of expected that since I haven't taken the PCAT yet. Good luck to you!

Has anyone received preliminary acceptance letter from VCU? I just got mine today and it saids that the Admission Committee has recommended a tentative final admission offer to VCU and that they have sent my name to for background check. Does this mean that I basically got accepted?

Also, would I be receiving an email or mail from Certiphi for background check soon?

Has anyone received preliminary acceptance letter from VCU? I just got mine today and it saids that the Admission Committee has recommended a tentative final admission offer to VCU and that they have sent my name to for background check. Does this mean that I basically got accepted?

Also, would I be receiving an email or mail from Certiphi for background check soon?

CONGRATS! It's basically an acceptance pending the background check, and I got it too!! :soexcited:(been saving this smiley for my first acceptance!!!)
I applied Regular Decision and interviewed in Sept.

Last edited:
CONGRATS trangalang!!! I am sooo excited!! I applied Early Decision and interviewed in Sept as well =]
Do you know if they will be sending us an email for background check and everything?