VCOM Spartanburg, SC Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I remember that was said at Open House last spring to request to attend one campus or the other as long as there was a space.

Members don't see this ad.

question for those of you attending the first year's class. congrats! I know that technically this is not a "brand new" school as it is a branch of the VCOM campus, but did they address any concerns about being the first class to go through? such as not having upperclassmen a year ahead to help out with the first year rigors? I only ask b/c I have this question and would love to hear from those of you who know more about the school and situation. I'm interviewing here soon and would really love to attend, but just have that concern.

thanks!

Hi all,

I have been lurking on the VCOM interview feeback section of SDN, however the only experiences/questions are for VCOM VA. I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed could give me an idea of what kind of questions to expect. Also, any tips about the interview or things to check out while I am in Spartanburg would be much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I have been lurking on the VCOM interview feeback section of SDN, however the only experiences/questions are for VCOM VA. I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed could give me an idea of what kind of questions to expect. Also, any tips about the interview or things to check out while I am in Spartanburg would be much appreciated. Thanks

The questions asked are very similar to those on the interview feedback for the Virginia Campus. I got asked why do, why vcom, how will I be able to handle being part of the first class, and then things specific to me changing my major. Very conversational.

Good Luck!

Got my first interview at VCOM on Feb 22, is anyone else going?

enjoy the interview day! I sure did and the town of Spartanburg was awesome! They really treat you like family there at VCOM Carolinas !

I hope the interview goes well. Based on what I have heard on the forum, it should be a great interview with great people. Hope they accept me.

I had my interview last week. They said that the admissions committee will get together on Feb 15th, today, to decide. Man i am so nervous. Really hope I get in. Mattie said out of 150 seats, they have sent out 134 acceptances. That is the main reason I am nervous.

The interviewers were great. It was more of a relaxed conversation, than anything. I loved Spartanburg, the campus is coming along pretty nicely, and the staff is absolutely wonderful.

About the interview - know why DO, why VCOM, your application, etc. The only question I had a little trouble with was explaining pros and cons of all the schools I am applying to. That interviewer got the impression from my pros and cons that PCOM-Ga would be the best fit for me....did not want to give him that impression.

Fingers crossed. I'll know tomorrow if I got in or not.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the call, good luck to all of you who are still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! I'm assuming the posters above me were in the same interview group, so congrats to you guys too!

To all the people who were just accepted, if you don't mind me asking, what were your overall gpa, science gpa and mcat score? thanks

Congrats everyone... I was accepted on Feb 16th and I am really looking forward to studying with you all. Just curious though, for those of you who plan on taking out loans to pay for medical school, how much do you all think you will end up borrowing/year? For 2011-2012 tuition jumped from 35,080 to 37,080. They estimated on the budget they gave us that living expenses were something like 26k... So thats ~63k per year. Granted if you live a modest lifestyle you can cut corners on that budget and save maybe 5k max, but thats still ~55k+ per year, assuming you have no income. Google says average med school debt is like 100-150k after four years. Those must be old figures or for public schools. With the numbers I just put down its going to be more like $220k debt after four years. Let me know what you all think about these numbers, and any strategies you all have thought of to save $$ in the end. We will all be docs one day, but debt is debt... Thanks for your time and see ya in August ;-)

P.S- For those of you still waiting for interviews or for your decision, keep your head up bc its only a matter of time.

Anyone interviewing on the 22nd?... For those who have interviewed and gotten accepted. What kind of questions should i expect.. Thanks guys for your help

CreoleDoc?? you wouldn't happen to be from Louisiana?

Yep I'm from the Bayou.....I figured Creole Doctor must have been a fellow Louisianian.....Your International student?

Accepted as of yesterday! So excited to meet my classmates and fellow student doctors!

i FINALLY got a call for an interview invite yesterday afternoon!! so extremely excited!!! mine is on 3/23. i keep reading on here that the people over there are super nice and laid back, so i'm very relieved about that. what else should i expect though?

also, which airport did everyone fly into? the closest i found was greenville/spartanburg, but are there any other ones in the area?

i FINALLY got a call for an interview invite yesterday afternoon!! so extremely excited!!! mine is on 3/23. i keep reading on here that the people over there are super nice and laid back, so i'm very relieved about that. what else should i expect though?

also, which airport did everyone fly into? the closest i found was greenville/spartanburg, but are there any other ones in the area?

Greenville/Spartanburg is about as close as you can get.

Yep I'm from the Bayou.....I figured Creole Doctor must have been a fellow Louisianian.....Your International student?

Naw, my parents were born in Haiti, I was born in the US though... I just am proud of my heritage so I say haitian and creole haha..

Anyone interviewing on the 22nd?

Interviewed today - personally the best interview experience I ever had. Maddie and the staff are awesome. Completely stress-free interviews. Here is some info for those who do not know: VCOM-CC interviews between 4 and 8 twice per week (Mon and Wed) with an average of 6 (there were 6 of us today). So far they have accepted with deposit ~125-128 so there are still spots remaining. Also, the actual class size will be as few as 150 or at most 162. Next round of decisions go out on Wednesday, March 23 after the committee meeting. Good luck to everyone! :thumbup:

P.S. - If you haven't read "The Do's" by Norman Gevitz then you are doing yourself a disservice. I was asked about what book I had read last and they spent a lot of time talking about this topic. This is a MUST READ!

Thanks a lot for the information .. really looking forward to the interview..Although i was wondering if you knew how the interview groups are picked?

Thanks a lot for the information .. really looking forward to the interview..Although i was wondering if you knew how the interview groups are picked?

Interviews are granted based on a rolling application period. Basically, whoever gets their application in and qualifies gets first shot at interviews and first shot at acceptance.

If I remember hearing correctly today (but don't quote me), they have interviewed less than 300 applicants, and I believe that more than 150 acceptances have been offered. This would mean that if you get an interview, you have about a 50% chance of getting accepted.

Maddie discussed today that VCOM goes though a thorough screening process. In fact, your application is screened 3 times before it is sent to her (AACOMAS, PRIMARY, SECONDARY), and then it is screened again before an interview is offered. Finally, a fifth and final screening is at the committee on acceptance decisions. If you are selected for an interview, apparently it is an accomplishment, at this rate, the interview and acceptance rate would be more competitive than USCSOM.

I was very impressed with the staff and if I get an acceptance I will immediately turn down all of my other schools that I have applied to and interviewed with. They talk a lot about looking for a "fit" both the student and the school. I certainly feel that fit, and hopefully they will as well.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can tell you anything else. :D

Thank you so much Tigerdude.. I have an interview on the 22nd in VCOM-CC and received the email with the order of events. and on there it says group 1 and group 2. Each group gets interviewed at diffrent times either before or after the tour and other stuff. Was wondering if you knew how interviewee's were grouped or is it just random.. I would really love the afternoon session after the tour and all.

Thank you so much Tigerdude.. I have an interview on the 22nd in VCOM-CC and received the email with the order of events. and on there it says group 1 and group 2. Each group gets interviewed at diffrent times either before or after the tour and other stuff. Was wondering if you knew how interviewee's were grouped or is it just random.. I would really love the afternoon session after the tour and all.

You may want to check your schedule again. There are no afternoon interviews. Groups 1 begins interviewing at 8:30am , Group 2 at 10:00 am. Tours are given after the interviews, followed by lunch, then the financial aid presentation. We were not told how the groups were selected, and your interviews are 1 on 1, not in an actual group. I would assume that whether you are in group 1 or group 2 is irrelevant as everyone is discussed in the same committee meeting.

yeah you are right i had that wrong.. i meant i would love to be in Group 2. oh ok I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. illd update after the interview...thanks again.

yeah you are right i had that wrong.. i meant i would love to be in Group 2. oh ok I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. illd update after the interview...thanks again.

I thought I would offer a little more on the actual interviews. What others who have interviewed (and been accepted) have said about knowing why DO and why VCOM is very important. My interviews were more like a pleasant conversation; a couple were even fun and jovial.

I would recommend reading "The DO's" by Norman Gevitz if you have time. I read the book and it gave me a good appreciation of Osteopathic medicine, where it came from, and it's struggles. It was also a topic of conversation in my interviews. For example, do you know the meaning of the difference between a 10-fingered DO and a 3-fingered DO? Answers in the book.

Best of luck. :luck:

Thank you so much. I just purchased the book would make sure i read it before i go.

Accepted student day is fast approaching, April 2. Im heading down to check out the apartment situtation and get a feel for the dream I'll be living come August. Congrats again to all my future, inaugurial classmates at VCOM-Carolinas Campus Class of 2015!!! Oh also, has anyone received their VCOM email address or other info from the registrar yet? Thanks

I just thought I'd throw something out there...

I remember reading a previous post concerning no upperclassmen/women to have as student mentors...

Well, I've been accepted for this fall @ the VCOM-CC campus, and a few weeks ago I received a call from a current 1st year at VCOM-VC who said he would be my student mentor. He answered all of my questions and gave me a very candid report of what first year will be like.

I think VCOM is doing a great thing here. Communication with staff members has been stellar. I'm looking forward to Accepted Students Day in a few weeks! Hope to meet some of you there.

Hey everyone,
I had some health problems this year so I ended up getting my application in pretty late. I got the call for an interview within 3 days of submitting my secondary application to VCOM-CC which was very exciting. I'll be interviewing on April 5th- is anybody else interviewing on that date?

It's pretty late in the application cycle so I'm pretty nervous about whether or not I'll get into the class of 2015. Is anybody else interviewing this late?

ACCEPTED!!! Maddie called just after 5pm.

I look forward to meeting everyone on April 2! :D

same here ACCEPTED!!!! see you guys April 2nd..

Hey all,
I'm interviewing on April 5th-will anyone else be there?
Congrats to all who were accepted! I'm hoping for a wait-list spot myself since they have offers out on all of the spots for the 2015 class. I really hope to see you all in August! :)

I was recently accepted but I haven't had an opportunity to visit the area; my interview was in blacksburg,va and I was given the option of either being waitlisted at blacksburg or acceptance to the vcom-cc program.....of course I chose the vcom-cc acceptance:D. Unfortunately, I won't be able attend accepted student day. I just wanted to know if anyone had a chance to look at apartments in the area:confused: I have looked the pics and reviews for Haven at Oak Forest Apt. (they offer VCOM discount of 5% or roughly $35 off rent per month) and Park Place Apt. and they seem okay but I just wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge about these apartments or any other ones in the area that look decent and affordable.

P.S. I know its early but I have to move in May since my lease is up. Your input is greatly appreciated:)

did any one still have not send the immunization form, Physical report and other medical shots forms?
I just forgot to send them.

I don't think those forms are due until June (15th? maybe), but the quicker the better I would presume.

I was recently accepted but I haven't had an opportunity to visit the area; my interview was in blacksburg,va and I was given the option of either being waitlisted at blacksburg or acceptance to the vcom-cc program.....of course I chose the vcom-cc acceptance:D. Unfortunately, I won't be able attend accepted student day. I just wanted to know if anyone had a chance to look at apartments in the area:confused: I have looked the pics and reviews for Haven at Oak Forest Apt. (they offer VCOM discount of 5% or roughly $35 off rent per month) and Park Place Apt. and they seem okay but I just wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge about these apartments or any other ones in the area that look decent and affordable.

P.S. I know its early but I have to move in May since my lease is up. Your input is greatly appreciated:)

Hey when did you interview at VCOM in blacksburg?

Outside question but I was wondering if VCOM-SC mentioned where most of the students will do their 3rd and 4th year rotations?? Is everyone going to be able to do them in the upstate area? This concerned me especially because USC is opening their Greenville branch campus starting next year. Also did they say if most classes or going to be teleconferenced or live?

Thanks, I am looking to apply this coming cycle.

Outside question but I was wondering if VCOM-SC mentioned where most of the students will do their 3rd and 4th year rotations?? Is everyone going to be able to do them in the upstate area? This concerned me especially because USC is opening their Greenville branch campus starting next year. Also did they say if most classes or going to be teleconferenced or live?

Thanks, I am looking to apply this coming cycle.

All the classes will be live. All classes are recorded so that they can be watched again online if you wish. 3rd and 4th year rotations will occur at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, another hospital in Florence, and one in Charlotte was also mentioned. You also have the option of doing rotations at many of the other hospitals in the VCOM system, I think there are ~25-30.

As far as USC goes, who cares, they have an inferiority complex. I say that based upon why I and others experienced during USC's interview and comments made about the other med schools in the state.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Just submitted my deposit! VCOM-CC here we come! I'm also VERY unfamiliar with the area and beginning to look for apartments/roommates. Any inside advice? Did anyone sign up for the listserv?

is anyone looking for a place to live in spartanburg? Im looking for a place and probably gonna need a roommate...

any update on the apartment hunt? have you been given any insight as to where a nice, affordable place might be? did you join the listserv?