VCOM Spartanburg, SC Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview yesterday went great! But, the weather conditions were NOT so great!! 5-6'' of snow on the ground the morning of the interview forced us to have to meet at the Hampton Inn and Suites. (This was because most of the applicants were staying there.) My interview day was 2 hours delayed and very condensed. It included a welcoming, 1.5 hr presentation from Mattie, and my 3 half-hour interviews. Most of these were all performed in the hotel lobby! haha! This made for a very relaxed environment for the interviews. (Although, I believe that these faculty members would have been in the same spirit during normal conditions.) Everyone did a really good job adjusting to the last minute changes, it was all handled very professionally! I was most impressed with the mission of the school and desire for excellence. VCOM-CC is going to make a HUGE in the local community, as well as, the State of SC.
The admissions committee is to meet next Wed. the 19th. I will know that afternoon!

I am hoping I get an interview here soon, any idea on how full the class is?

We were told that the school had offered about 96 acceptances. But, you have to keep in mind that many of these applicants will be choosing from several schools and may not take there acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was one that was offered an acceptance but have already turned it down. I loved the place and hated doing it but the better financial situation ultimately won out. So your at 95 now, any one else turned their acceptance down?

yea withdrew my acceptance too. so make it 94. it's a great school.

They are projecting a class size of 150 correct? So how many acceptances do you guys think they will offer. I recieved my complete email on 1/9 and am hoping to hear somthing about an interview soon. However, it is getting kind of late, and by Feb of last year VCOM (VA though) was filled. I am just getting worried.

They are projecting a class size of 150 correct? So how many acceptances do you guys think they will offer.

Yes around 150 is right. So that brings the number of acceptances up to at least that, 150. Anyone after that will probably be wait-listed, unless applicants have already started to decline their acceptances. When that occurs (which it has already) the number of acceptances will increase to 150 PLUS the number of those who withdraw. This number will continue to increase as the number of withdrawn acceptances increases. Then, at some point the number of acceptances MINUS the number of withdrawn acceptances will increase to 150. I would assume that at this point applicants will begin to be placed on the wait-list. So again, as applicants withdraw, those wait-listed will be offered acceptances.
All that being said the number of offered acceptances will be no lower than 150. I'm sure that a significant amount of students will be choosing from several schools and will withdraw from VCOM due to various reasons. But if I had to guess, I would estimate that they will give a minimum of 170-180 total acceptances. But the number could be as high as 190-200+.

Or meaning that they will accept a minimum of 50 more applicants. And possibly as many more as 70-100 more. But no one can give you a for sure answer. Its a new school without any previous statistics for applicants vs. matriculates.

I think that if you have good numbers and a well rounded application then you will have a great shot for an interview. I was final on Monday Nov. 29th and received a call for the interview on Friday Dec. 3rd. You may hear at anytime. Good luck!

P.S. 6 days until I find out!!! This is my first choice!

Dr Romeo,

Thanks for the response, that was def. helpful. I have a decent GPA, great EC's and LORs, but my MCAT is lacking. I spoke with Mattie today and she said that she will be reviewing my file either this afternoon or tomorrow and will let me know about an interview. Good luck to you, I hope to see you in Spartanburg in the fall!

I just recieved this email
"Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine – Carolinas Campus. We recently reviewed your file for an interview. Our committee decided not to immediately proceed with your file and grant you an interview. They are, however, interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review.

The admissions committee at VCOM – CC reviews completed applications periodically throughout the admissions cycle. Should they choose to grant you an interview, you will be notified via telephone."

I guess this is a nice way to give a rejection...

Hey Nate4140! I won't be in town for the weekend but I am staying at the Comfort Suites and will be getting there early afternoon January 17th. Where are you staying?

Ill be at the Comfort Suites as well. I'm going to be in room 118. Give me a call and we can grab coffee. My interview is the 17th but i should be back around four I think.

Anyone look into housing yet? I'm thinking of visiting again in a few months

Ill be at the Comfort Suites as well. I'm going to be in room 118. Give me a call and we can grab coffee. My interview is the 17th but i should be back around four I think.

sounds great!! :) best of luck in there tomo! see you soon :)

I was catching up on posts and the above was very alarming. This is still the internet guys, and I would NOT post specifics about your location, especially including a date and hotel room number! If you connect with another pre-med/applicant, make arrangements with a private message, but still be cautious. I'm not trying to bring the mood down, but let's be smart/safe!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was catching up on posts and the above was very alarming. This is still the internet guys, and I would NOT post specifics about your location, especially including a date and hotel room number! If you connect with another pre-med/applicant, make arrangements with a private message, but still be cautious. I'm not trying to bring the mood down, but let's be smart/safe!

Well said!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Mattie called about an hour and a half ago!!! SOOOOOO excited!

Got my acceptance call today too!!! This is where I plan to attend. Looking forward to a great education and meeting everyone!

Hello everyone,
I am new to SDN. I was also accepted to VCOM, I'm pretty sure this is where I am going!!!! Excitement:)

Got my acceptance call today too!!! This is where I plan to attend. Looking forward to a great education and meeting everyone!

Hey Dr. Romeo,
I was reading your posts. We had the same interview day!!!!! Where were you from, I was the girl from ATL. Yay, I'm excited, we were accepted!

Hey Dr. Romeo,
I was reading your posts. We had the same interview day!!!!! Where were you from, I was the girl from ATL. Yay, I'm excited, we were accepted!

Hey Shellz,
CONGRATS! Yea I remember you... I was the guy from Charleston.

Hey Shellz,
CONGRATS! Yea I remember you... I was the guy from Charleston.

Awesome! I remember you, too. CONGRATS to you, also!!! Have you joined the facebook group? The link is on pg. 5.

Congrats to all everyone who was just accepted!

ACCEPTED...i interviewed on Monday the 17th...planning on going here but still have an interview at Touro in Harlem on Feb 8th...wish the deposit didn't have to be in within 2 wks

Anyone know if the facebook group is run by a student or the school? Don't necessarily want the school seeing everything on my facebook...

By an upcoming student for the class of 2015. He started it after he was accepted.

Hey, is anyone here interviewing on Jan. 31st?

Anyone know if the facebook group is run by a student or the school? Don't necessarily want the school seeing everything on my facebook...

I started the group. No worries!

Congrats to everyone! I'm so torn right now, maybe someone here can help me out. I've been accepted here and KCUMB. Being from the midwest, KC is a lot closer and the do/mba program is appealing. I really enjoyed vcom though and love south carolina. Anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts?

How primary care centered is vcom? My current aspiration is to probably go to an IM residency then cardiology, not stay strictly primary care.

Congrats to everyone! I'm so torn right now, maybe someone here can help me out. I've been accepted here and KCUMB. Being from the midwest, KC is a lot closer and the do/mba program is appealing. I really enjoyed vcom though and love south carolina. Anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts?

How primary care centered is vcom? My current aspiration is to probably go to an IM residency then cardiology, not stay strictly primary care.

well, I was accepted to both KCUMB and VCOM (I am from STL area) but I chose VCOM. It was a hard decision, and I had to decline interviews at several other really good schools. At VCOM, I absolutely loved everything about the school: the people, the programs, the facilities, the mission. I just felt really comfortable at VCOM. Thats my 2 cents.

It's all about you and where you felt most comfortable! You will be there for four years!

also VCOM does have a primary care focus, but if you flip through their report and yearbook (handed out in the interviews)- it's clear to see that their graduating students have many different residencies from IM, to neuro surgery, to family, to anesthesiology. Essentially, you definitely have a choice! Good luck on your decision! KCUMB & VCOM are both awesome schools!:):thumbup: It's a good problem to have!

Guess I never thought of it this way. Good point. If someone were really trying to know a specific location it isn't hard with the internet anyway. All the same, no harm intended. Thanks for the advice. A PM would have been a safer bet.

Got accepted Wednesday. Stoked to meet some of you.

what's the best airport to fly into here? greenville-spartanburg or is there another one? thanks

what's the best airport to fly into here? greenville-spartanburg or is there another one? thanks

Yes. Greenville-Spartanburg will by far be your best option. This is about the only local airport for commercial flights. And it's only about 25 mins. from downtown Spartanburg.

Yes. Greenville-Spartanburg will by far be your best option. This is about the only local airport for commercial flights. And it's only about 25 mins. from downtown Spartanburg.

I flew into Charlotte b/c it was so much cheaper, not a bad drive at all. The rental car is expensive if you are under 25, I DO NOT recommend Thrifty.

Hey yall! Congrats to everyone accepted!! I am really excited about this fall! :) Just a quick question... I noticed on the website everything that we need to turn in has a date by which they should receive it except the background check. When does that need to be completed by?

Hey yall! Congrats to everyone accepted!! I am really excited about this fall! :) Just a quick question... I noticed on the website everything that we need to turn in has a date by which they should receive it except the background check. When does that need to be completed by?
ASAP. It is due at the same time when deposit is due.

1Brs (3rooms total) in Converse Heights (nicest area of Sptbg I have found) near downtown (0.5mi). Rent very reasonable at $400/mo incl all utils except electric. Cobden Properties / Linda 864-327-1756. Had like 4 available.

Has anyone from the Jan 24 interview group heard back from admissions yet? The commitee was to meet Feb 1, and I guess acceptances were to be notified yesterday or today. I havent received a call so Iam taking it as a silent rejection. Did anyone rejected receive an email confirmation prior to getting the letter in the mail? Thanks

DOJAG67, I received a call around noon today. Mattie said she was having computer issues and it delayed the process. Hope you received the call since you posted this message.

I just got the call a couple of hours ago. Congrats jddoc!! and all those recently accepted.

Has anyone from the Jan 31 interview group heard back from admissions yet? I haven't so I'am taking it as a silent rejection. Hope some of you from that group made the cut.

Is anyone else interviewing Feb 15th? Also, for recent interviewees, did they mention how full that class was? Thanks everyone

During my Jan 24 interview, I recall Mattie mentioning a little over half of the seats for the first class had been filled.

DOJAG67, glad to hear you got the call. Congrats to you as well!

Has anyone from the Jan 31 interview group heard back from admissions yet? I haven't so I'am taking it as a silent rejection. Hope some of you from that group made the cut.

I was at the Jan. 31st interview. Who is this? You can send a personal message if you want.

Hey guys, it's been a while since my interview day, but does anyone remember or know any specifics of how our rotations will work? Will the majority of people be at spartanburg regional or elsewhere? And will our 3rd year be at one site, or will we be at several? Thanks!

Hey guys, it's been a while since my interview day, but does anyone remember or know any specifics of how our rotations will work? Will the majority of people be at spartanburg regional or elsewhere? And will our 3rd year be at one site, or will we be at several? Thanks!

The current VCOM student who was at my interview said that Spartanburg Regional would have 40 spots for rotations, which would leave a lot of us having to go elsewhere. For the second question, I have no idea.

I was accepted at the Blacksburg campus very early in the cycle (mid October). However, I think I may prefer the Greenville campus. Any harm in asking? I wouldn't want to jeopardize my acceptance or foster any ill feelings at the Blacksburg campus.

I was accepted at the Blacksburg campus very early in the cycle (mid October). However, I think I may prefer the Greenville campus. Any harm in asking? I wouldn't want to jeopardize my acceptance or foster any ill feelings at the Blacksburg campus.

Someone earlier in the cycle said on SDN it was possible to ask to switch campuses after acceptance, but I don't know how legit that information was. Seems like it would be worth asking if you really feel like its a better fit for you.