VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh I know! It's bad... but I've already been looking into housing LOL.

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha I would, but I'm too afraid to get my hopes up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
They say Knollwood is nice and is within walking distance of VCOM

Yeah I was looking into Knollwood reserve. Out of curiosity, did you guys find any people on the previous blogs that had gotten rejected?? I wanted to see what their stats were but couldn't find anything

I haven't seen any! Although I did see that some people didn't hear back from them until a couple of days before the program started! I really hope that's not the case with us

I was looking through last years thread and it seemed like a lot of the applicants received their acceptance late march (March 23-27) so I really wouldn't be worried guys

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking through last years thread and it seemed like a lot of the applicants received their acceptance late march (March 23-27) so I really wouldn't be worried guys

The new VCOM site launched... hopefully that means good news soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
The new VCOM site launched... hopefully that means good news soon!

Hopefully, I already got into my Plan B and I need to know where I should start looking for apartments! Good luck everyone!

Rejected! Lol good thing I got into Midwestern's MBS program! Good luck everyone!

Just noticed they changed the email for the program to [email protected] and it says the GPA requirement for admissions to the program is 2.9 for both overall and science GPA's. For anyone that sent an email and have not received a response, maybe it's worth resending emails to the new email address.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected! Lol good thing I got into Midwestern's MBS program! Good luck everyone!

If you don't mind me asking, did they explain why they didn't let you in? I'm just wondering if they offer explanations for their decisions

Just talked to Ms. Hewitt, and she said it would be at least another 2-3 weeks before i will get their decision

Just talked to Ms. Hewitt, and she said it would be at least another 2-3 weeks before i will get their decision

At this rate i'm about to drive to Blacksburg and just sit in class and never leave until they just let me stay lol

Reactions: 1 user

get a final decision or the next step as in interview invite?

get a final decision or the next step as in interview invite?

For post-bacc, you don't have to interview! It's for the final decision. She said that the committee will review it sometime within the next two weeks and then within a week of that, they'll email their decision.

How is midwesterns program? Is it a direct linkage?
Midwestern is very research based. It's pricey but I think it's well worth it. You end up with an MBS which is way better than a certificate in my opinion. In the event that medical school doesn't work out again, though I'll have more debt, I'll still be able to apply for a good paying job as a researcher somewhere.

There's no direct linkage but they do have an agreement (pretty much the same thing) where if you maintain a 3.0 GPA and are within one standard deviation of their average MCAT, you are automatically invited to an interview at either their IL or AZ campus. Not sure if you can get interviewed by both though. And the interviewers are the same people you've been having class with or even have doing research with during the last two years :)

3.2 cGPA, 2.6 sGPA, low MCAT really low lol

3.2 cGPA, 2.6 sGPA, low MCAT really low lol

Sorry to hear you didn't get in, but I think the reason is they had a 2.75 sGPA and cGPA minimum. Good luck with the MBS though!

Sorry to hear you didn't get in, but I think the reason is they had a 2.75 sGPA and cGPA minimum. Good luck with the MBS though!
whoops lol i keep getting my MD and DO sGPAs mixed up. With MD's its a 2.6 -- DO 2.79. Doesn't really matter though for this program anymore on my end. and thanks! I'm so excited for the MBS

The website now says 2.9 for both

I was told they would still review you if you meet the old requirement and applied before the change.

whoops lol i keep getting my MD and DO sGPAs mixed up. With MD's its a 2.6 -- DO 2.79. Doesn't really matter though for this program anymore on my end. and thanks! I'm so excited for the MBS

Did you have any ECs or other experience you listed if you don't mind me asking?

I was told they would still review you if you meet the old requirement and applied before the change.

Did you have any ECs or other experience you listed if you don't mind me asking?

-1800+ clinical hours
-200 volunteer hours
-URM
-Multiple certifications from the CDC and American Red Cross
-Currently working full time with a DO and part of an advisory board sponsored by the DOH with a $14 million grant from the CDC
-Dance instructor and part of an NBA dance team

My MCAT is what killed me lol

-1800+ clinical hours
-200 volunteer hours
-URM
-Multiple certifications from the CDC and American Red Cross
-Currently working full time with a DO and part of an advisory board sponsored by the DOH with a $14 million grant from the CDC
-Dance instructor and part of an NBA dance team

My MCAT is what killed me lol

Wow, that's quite a bit more than me, my sGPA is below what they consider competitive so I was hoping my ECs would help out. My MCAT isn't very great but it's over what they want for guaranteed admission so I'm not too sure if that'll help much.

Wow, that's quite a bit more than me, my sGPA is below what they consider competitive so I was hoping my ECs would help out. My MCAT isn't very great but it's over what they want for guaranteed admission so I'm not too sure if that'll help much.
I think you have a good shot!

I think this is going to be the week we start hearing back. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
My husband got his email acceptance this morning. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Thats awesome, congratulations. Would you mind sharing when he submitted and his stats.

Thats awesome, congratulations. Would you mind sharing when he submitted and his stats.
Thank you. I honestly don't know his stats or what stats you want for sure. I think he had a 3.5gpa and low mcat, he applied in December. Anyways just wanted to let everyone know to keep an eye out!

Thank you. I honestly don't know his stats or what stats you want for sure. I think he had a 3.5gpa and low mcat, he applied in December. Anyways just wanted to let everyone know to keep an eye out!

Thank you very much. It's good to know that the process has begun.

does anyone know if they have an open house? if so when?

does anyone know if they have an open house? if so when?
They usually hold one every fall and spring, but for some reason this year there doesn't seem to be any date for a spring open house

They usually hold one every fall and spring, but for some reason this year there doesn't seem to be any date for a spring open house

I received this from VCOM:

"This is an invitation to attend our upcoming Open House at the Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Virginia Campusin Blacksburg, Virginia on Saturday, April 2nd.

You can sign up with this link: http://www.vcom.edu/admissions/open-house

The day will begin at 10 am and the formal program will end at 1 pm. Then we will have elective afternoon sessions such as anatomy lab tours, meeting with the admissions staff, and simulation and technology tours."

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work (probably because they revamped their website).

Thank you so much! I'm going to email them and find out :)

Is anyone planning on sending an update letter of any kind (with new activities/ECs or something of the sort)? Not sure if I should, but this is by far the #1 program I've applied to.